BC Boards

help on teeter/see saw

Gypsy has always had issues with the see saw in agility although it is not fear now . She will go on it quite happily but stops just before the point where it tips and will not go any further until a treat (food) comes out of my pocket then happily finishes that piece of equipment .She goes great around the rest of the course at a good speed sometimes a bit too quuck but we are working on that .Do I keep up the food reward do you think ?She used to do most of the course with food as a motivator but now its for the joy of it or a ball in my hand .Im confused LOL

Is she clicker trained?

We use the bang as a click when training the teeter. Bang- treat; bang- treat; etc. It makes the dog associate the bang with food and helps with the fear issues (which Gypsy doesn't seem to have anyway) and it also produces a lot more speed on the teeter. The dogs fly up it trying to make it bang loud to get the treat.

If she is clicker trained and used to receiving her treat 30secs or so after the click then this may work for her. She will know that a reward is coming, it just wont be straightaway.

Part of that could be fear. Just anticipation that it is going to bang. Or it might be the movement. Try doing some (more?) work on a wobble board first maybe.

I have a long list of "cures" for teeter fear but it doesn't sound like that is what she needs. Now she may have 'trained' you to bring out a cookie for stopping. Try telling her to do the teeter (on leash if you must to keep her from jumping off). When she stops, just freeze. You don't move a muscle. Look at the end of the board, NOT at her. Just wait. And wait. Eventually, she should continue going. The you can unfreeze and praise like it was Christmas morning! After a nice little party, do it again (don't go finish a course). I can almost guarantee that she will continue moving sooner this time. Just whatever you do, don't reward for stopping. When she stops, the game stops. When she keeps going, you get happy and the game keeps going. Make sense?

If she is clicker trained, then once she starts moving after her usual pause, that would be the spot to click (during that first step) and then reward her with cookies/toys/whatever once she has finished the obstacle.

Thanks Kat I think you nailed it .I think (know ) she has me trained.We worked out Gyps stops every time I look at her so I now have to go to next obstacle and trust that she is following me .I am so brand new at this but we both really enjoy it .This is a dog that was so unpredictable with distractions a few months ago I applied some of Susan Garretts ideas and she turned 2 and I have a different girl now .havent seen Dazzle doing much lately are you still competing or is it too hot where you are ?

I agree with Kat, Gypsy has you well trained. You might want to backchain the contact behavior by starting with just the teeter board on the ground (or dropping the base so that is as low as it goes) and placing her on the contact portion in the position you want her to finish it in ie, 2o2o, one rear toe whatever and have a big party while she's in that position. Gradually move back along the board and the only time that reward happens is at the end of that board. When she's running the board with you on leash at first to encourage forward motion then off, with enthusiasm then I would raise the board a bit and repeat. Soon enough you'll have a happy girl running that teeter for the treat at the end. Another option is to invest in a "treat and train" which an automatic remote treat dispensor. Fill it with treats place at the bottom of the teeter and wait for her to move when she comes down the teeter trigger the dispensor and have a party - it totally removes you from the role of dispensing treats

havent seen Dazzle doing much lately are you still competing or is it too hot where you are ?

Actually, we have a trial this weekened! Except for June and July our area really only has about one or two trials a month - and we don't go to all of them. :rolleyes:

A BIG thankyou to you Kat .I took your advice today at class and quite quickly Gypsy was going over the teeter without stopping .I wish all our problems were solved that easily .Hope your trial went well this weekend .How did you do?