BC Boards

Hi! New and Need Help! (long)

Hi everyone! I am new to the Boards, so I hope I'm doing all this correctly. My name is Mary, I live in Wisconsin, and I have a 7 year old Border Collie named Bingo. I got Bing 3 years ago, after my previous rescued Border Collie, Levi, passed away. He had epilepsy and after a 3 year battle, Levi went into status and I had to make the horrible decision to let him go. My heart broke. I searched rescues for another Border Collie, and when Bingo showed up at Animal Control in Missouri, one of the local BC rescues that had approved me for adoption, contacted me. They had no foster home available for him, and Bingo was in danger of being euthanized. I adopted him sight unseen. He had a rough start in life, and I was destined to find his calling and give him the best of everything for the rest of his life! Bingo is an AWESOME Border Collie. He has come SUCH a long way since I got him. We tried agility--that wasn't for him. He is the CLUMSIEST BC I have ever seen!!! He has no ball drive, Rally is too slow for him. I then discovered the Herding Instinct test. The little I knew about him, I knew he had never been exposed to sheep. He got into the pen, and it was beautiful!! I cried! Last summer, we started making the 1 1/2 hour trip twice a week, and started taking herding lessons. HE LOVES IT!!! While our handler/trainer said he would never be able to compete in the upper levels due to his age, he could definitely compete in Novice...we were looking to start him competing in a "fun" trial held at our trainers farm this winter. That was until this April. Bingo had started to limp occassionally. After many different vet visits and tests, it turned out he had soft tissue sarcoma in his front left leg. The only "cure" for my boy would be amputation. It was heart wrenching. I decided we could deal with this, so on May 5th, my boy became my beloved "Tri Paw". He bounced back quickly and my hopes for him soared. A short 3 weeks after---he still had his staples in the incision---he was diagnosed with lymphoma. I was shocked. Shock wore off and the sadness set in. I can't tell you how I felt. My beautiful, precious boy! How unfair was this??? I didn't have a lot of time to decide what to do next. They were telling me if I did nothing, he would most likely be gone in a few weeks. To make a long story short, I opted for chemotherapy. I have an awesome vet who worked with me to find another vet who could do the chemo at very discounted treatment fees (113.00/treatment). Bingo is doing FANTASTIC! He went into remission after the first treatment and now, 13 weeks later, is still in complete remission. He is tolerating chemo well. I had pet insurance on Bingo, but maxed out the Cancer coverage with his amputation. They covered 3000.00, but the total bill was over 5,000! There is no coverage left for chemotherapy. Fortunately for me, a dear friend gave me 1,000 dollars to start treatment. I've gotten this far with that, but now I am faced with the realization that the funds are gone!!! I am embarrassed and ashamed that I cannot afford to give my gentle soul what he needs. I've checked into some of the funding groups, but so far I haven't gotten anywhere. One doesn't fund for lymphoma since it's just "extending" not "saving" his life. The other would have only funded me if he had been IN the hospital and needed life saving treatment. The third never responded to my multiple requests. I am a volunteer with Care4BCs, and they helped with his amputation costs. (We raise money to help with medical costs for rescued BCs). I don't know what to do! After all he's gone through, I can't just stop treatments! I'm struggling to keep my house payments current, not to mention my other monthly bills, AND paying on our Care Credit card which I maxed out with the remainder of the amputation!!! I want to give my boy the BEST chance he can have!!! I am just sick over this. I don't know what to do, or where to turn. Every day I look into these intense, beautiful, brown BC eyes and vow to him that I will do whatever I can! I am not a wealthy person by any means, yet I keep getting these special needs guys. I wouldn't change a minute of it, but yet, I don't have the financial means to do it! I just want to give my boy a fighting chance, and to have some more time with him! I spoke with my trainer this weekend at a trial our group was volunteering at, and he said when we are ready, give him a call!! I want to be able to make that call!!!

I'm sorry this is so long, but it so helps me to share my story with people who understand! I just want everyone to know about my brave, Tri-Paw, Bingo! If anyone can help, please contact me! I am so ashamed and heartbroken.

Thank you all for listening!!! Keep good thoughts for my boy!!!!

Mary & Bingo the amazing Tri Paw Border Collie

I'm so sorry about Bingo Mary. He sounds like such a cool dog. For what he has been through he sounds like he's taking it really good. I'm glad you take in the special needs dogs when you can. Most people won't, either because they're to much work or they don't want to deal with the problems they may have. I'm thankful that he has such a good owner.

I'll help all I can. It may not be much but maybe it will help some. Good luck. Stay around for a while. Everyone on here is really cool :rolleyes:

I'll help all I can. It may not be much but maybe it will help some. Good luck. Stay around for a while. Everyone on here is really cool :rolleyes:

Before you do, WyoBC, and bless your kind heart ... the skeptic in me warns that this person joined the boards to ask for money. No history, nothing. The Miss Manners in me says it's a sketchy thing to do at best, the sourpuss in me wonders if it's even real.

My advice is: give no money to anyone. If the OP has a verifiable veterinarian who can confirm this tale, and you're comfortable doing that, then by all means do what you feel you must do.

But 'Mary in Wisconsin' sure paid a heck of a lot of money to have a leg amputated. I've paid that bill a time or two myself, and it's never been $5K, even at full price. And I'm no cancer expert, nor a math expert, but I don't understand how one hundred dollars worth of chemo put him into "complete" remission, but it cost a thousand bucks and he still needs more. Does one keep giving chemo to someone in complete remission??

Maybe someone more familiar with cancer can explain that one.

No offense to the OP if you're genuine, of course. But being me, I'd exercise some pretty extreme caution giving money here. Maybe Mary in Wisconsin would like to post the name of her verifiable vet where money can be donated, if this is the real deal.

RDM

Ditto to what RDM said. I too, read it with skepticism and have yet to be fully convinced.

I figured this would be met with skeptism, and I don't blame anyone for doubting this is true. However, our vet is Dr. Cathy Poehlman at Park Pet Vet Clinic in Milwaukee, WI, 414-352-1470. I was referred to her by my vet, Dr. Steve Honzelka at Lakeside Animal Clinic in Milwaukee, 414-962-8040. Her clinic could help us with discounted chemo treatments because her clinic does chemo regularly, whereas my vet does not. Chemo drugs are cheaper when purchased in bulk, which Dr. Poehlman can do because she uses them readily. (The drugs do not have a long shelf life and have to be used quickly.) And, yes, dogs CAN go into remission after the first treatment, and chemo is continued to keep the dogs in remission. Dr. Poehlman is following the Wisconsin Protocol for chemotherapy. As far as the bill for the leg amputation, we were referred to UW Madison by Dr. Rachel Reiman, Oncologist, at the Animal Emergency Clinie in Milwaukee. The amputation was done by UW-Madison, Dr. Collopy 1-800-386-8684. The 5,000 dollars was all inclusive for consultations with first the orthopedic doc who after doing a CT scan, referred us to the Soft Tissue surgeon. The soft tissue surgeon then did two different biopsies. First, a needle aspirate, and then a surgical biopsy. Initially they were thinking the tumor was osteosarcoma, but then when they went in surgically, the found it to be soft tissue sarcoma. The 5,000 was for surgery, consults, biopsies, CT scan, lab work, meds, and Bingo's stay at Vet Hospital. Also included in this was a second surgery Bingo had to close his incision after a 2" section had necrosed and had to be debrided and sutured. This was done by Dr. Patchet at Lakeside Animal Hospital--my usual vet.

Again, I understand the sketicism and doubt. I just didn't know where else to turn, and didn't even know these boards existed. Had I known about them, I would have joined long ago, during happier circumstances. I love talking Border Collie! I was urged by someone to join and share my story. I'm generally a very private person and do not like to share very personal information. I have never done anything like this before, but, again, I'm pretty much out of options. I'm embarrassed now to have asked for help. I wish I wouldn't have. I wish I could retract my post However, anyone who would like to verify my story can feel free to check with any/all of the vets listed above. In fact, Bingo goes for a treatment tomorrow, and I will tell them that they may verify this. I apologize.

Mary & Bingo

Guest WoobiesMom

Mary, I'm sorry you and Bingo are having to go through this. If you own your home, is it possible to refinance and take out some equity? Recent events in my life have required this and I was lucky enough to take out the necessary cash and actually get a lower monthly mortgage (I went from 15 yrs to 30yrs). Hope this helps. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Bingo!

Try www.helpyourdogfightcancer.com It is a charity set up specifically to help with the expense of cancer treatments for dogs.

Kathy Robbins

Thank you!!! I did not know of this group! I will check it out right now!!!!!

Thank you for the clarification and the references. It really does help validate your story - it's sad that you need to do so, but you know the internet these days ...

I wish only the very best for you and Bingo. Welcome :rolleyes:

Thank you for the Welcome! Best wishes are ALWAYS appreciated!!!

Mary, I'm sorry you and Bingo are having to go through this. If you own your home, is it possible to refinance and take out some equity? Recent events in my life have required this and I was lucky enough to take out the necessary cash and actually get a lower monthly mortgage (I went from 15 yrs to 30yrs). Hope this helps. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Bingo!

Thank you for the response!! I did refinance our home a few years ago, and was looking into doing so again. Unfortunately, what my mortgage broker told me a couple weeks ago, is that the lenders are not readily funding second mortgages and refi's right now. He said the interest rates are also high. They are hoping things pick up, but with all the bankruptcies, they are not sure when things will turn around. He said first mortgages are still fine. I looked into a loan, but several years back, I got hooked up with a financial company to get my bills consolidated and paid off, but the company was less than reputable and now I not only still have all the bills, I have terrible credit too! I haven't ruled this option out, I'm just waiting for him to find a lender willing to help!

The following may be worthy of your consideration:

American Animal Hospital Association

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/home /

Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship.

Angels 4 Animals

http://www.Angels4Animals.org

Services range from financial aid to complete treatment to those pets and pet owners in need.

Care Credit

http://www.carecredit.com

A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care. "With a comprehensive range of plan options, for treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every budget."

God's Creatures Ministry

http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html

This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help.

Help-A-Pet

http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html

Efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor.

IMOM

http://www.imom.org

Dedicated to ensure that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged.

The Pet Fund

http://thepetfund.com/

The Pet Fund is a registered 501©3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care.

HandicappedPets.com

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/help/

From time to time, HandicappedPets.com recognizes a caretaker of handicapped pets that need some special attention, and a little extra help. There are those who are so selflessly dedicated to their animal families that they give up a little more than they can afford.

Is is possible you could work out a payment plan with the vet? Some vets will do that. I'm sorry I can't be much help except to send you and Bingo as many good vibes as I can.

Hi! Good Vibes are ALWAYS appreciated!!! The vet that is doing the chemo is letting me pay as I go, which is a lot more than the Oncologist at the Animal ER would let me do, and the cost at my regular vet was so over the cost of the Animal ER, I couldn't even fathom that payment!! They wanted 1,000 MORE than the ER!! (Again, my vet doesn't do regular chemo, so they couldn't buy the drugs in bulk, so that was why they told me the cost was so inflated.) The vet where I'm going is charging me 113.00/week. They specialize in chemotherapy so they have the drugs on hand, purchased in bulk. There is also a vet in that same clinic who has BCs and takes a special interest in BCs with cancer. He was actually excited to meet Bingo seeing that he was dealt to different, unrelated cancers in such a short period of time. So I am lucky in that respect--Bing's got a great team behind . I am employed full time, but trying to find an extra 400.00/month beginning to be impossible. Thanks again for responding, and please keep the good vibes coming our way! We do appreciate it!!!

The following may be worthy of your consideration:

American Animal Hospital Association

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/home /

Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship.

Angels 4 Animals

http://www.Angels4Animals.org

Services range from financial aid to complete treatment to those pets and pet owners in need.

Care Credit

http://www.carecredit.com

A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care. "With a comprehensive range of plan options, for treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every budget."

God's Creatures Ministry

http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html

This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help.

Help-A-Pet

http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html

Efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor.

IMOM

http://www.imom.org

Dedicated to ensure that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged.

The Pet Fund

http://thepetfund.com/

The Pet Fund is a registered 501©3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care.

HandicappedPets.com

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/help/

From time to time, HandicappedPets.com recognizes a caretaker of handicapped pets that need some special attention, and a little extra help. There are those who are so selflessly dedicated to their animal families that they give up a little more than they can afford.

Thank you!!! There are a few on here that I haven't checked into. I e-mailed Handicapped Pets.com. They told me that don't actually fund (even though when you do a search for funding, they come up as HAVING a fund!!!) The gentleman that replied back to me said they are just a resource for funding sites! I already have Care Credit, which I maxed out with the amputation, and I requested a credit increase, and they denied me. Also, the vet clinic where Bingo is getting his chemo doesn't accept Care Credit. I have emailed Angels4Animals 4 times, and have never received a reply. The AAHA was the one that said that for funding, the application has to be submitted no later than 3 weeks after initial treatment, or it will be denied. I found this site approximately 6 weeks after we started! I will, however, check into the other sites! I forgot which one it was, but right in the requirements for funding, it said they won't fund for chemotherapy. Again, I'm not sure which that was, but you have given me some more resources to check out!! I appreciate it VERY much!!!!

Hi Mary,

I’m sorry for what you and Bingo are going through. If you’re looking for emotional support from people who have gone through what you’re going through, there is an amputation forum on HandicappedPets.com. There are several members of that forum that their dog’s amputation was due to cancer.

Best wishes,

Cathy

Mary, your story is heart-wrenching and I'm terribly sorry that you and Bingo are having to go through this. I wish I could be of more help, but you and your BC will be in my foremost thoughts and prayers while you're in the middle of this difficult situation. I'm unable to offer a helpful link at the moment, but among everyone's excellent referenes and suggestions I'm hoping that you find the assistance you need. All the luck in the world, too - it can't hurt. :rolleyes:

Mary, your story is heart-wrenching and I'm terribly sorry that you and Bingo are having to go through this. I wish I could be of more help, but you and your BC will be in my foremost thoughts and prayers while you're in the middle of this difficult situation. I'm unable to offer a helpful link at the moment, but among everyone's excellent referenes and suggestions I'm hoping that you find the assistance you need. All the luck in the world, too - it can't hurt. :rolleyes:

Thank you SO much! Bingo has a lot of people rooting for him and keeping good thoughts for him. I'm sure something will work out, and I am determined to do everything I can to make this work. I do appreciate it!!!

Hi Mary,

I’m sorry for what you and Bingo are going through. If you’re looking for emotional support from people who have gone through what you’re going through, there is an amputation forum on HandicappedPets.com. There are several members of that forum that their dog’s amputation was due to cancer.

Best wishes,

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy! I did find HandicappedPets.com when I found out about the need for his amputation. It helped tremendously! I never thought I would say this but after seeing how wonderfully he adapted to being a "tri paw", I don't really even see him as "handicapped" or as an amputee....he's just my Bing! We now belong to the Canine Cancer Awareness group, and we have been sort of an "inspiration" to another lady who's dog is in need of an amputation. It feels so good to be able to help someone like that. I even made some short video clips and e-mailed them to her of Bing running and playing in the yard....she thought her dog would not be able to get around. It truly gave her some hope!

Thanks for replying!! I appreciate it!!!

Actually I told Mary about this site. We met on Dogster a while back and have been talking ever since. Although, I'm the same way about people onlne too. It's sad you can't trust what people say anymore.

Bingo is such a cool dog. Each and every one of these dogs are so special. I hope you get some help with vet bills. I know they can rise in a heart beat.

Actually I told Mary about this site. We met on Dogster a while back and have been talking ever since. Although, I'm the same way about people onlne too. It's sad you can't trust what people say anymore.

Bingo is such a cool dog. Each and every one of these dogs are so special. I hope you get some help with vet bills. I know they can rise in a heart beat.

Thanks, AJ! Give Blackjack a hug from us!!

• 1 month later...

Just for everyone's information, I have spoken with Dr. Honzelka at the Lakeside Animal Clinic, and fully verified what Mary has posted. He says that Bingo is a wonderful dog and Mary is a devoted owner.

Mary, welcome to the Boards. I'm very sorry about the troubles you and Bingo have been through, and am wishing you both the best.