BC Boards

whistle training

that's all we use around here. I didn't want to be the neighbor always hollering for her dogs or kids (now we don't have neighbors and the kids are grown but what the heck). The pups get used to it when they're young following the older dogs so they natrualy come to my whistle when they're older. I also use "that'll do" as an informal recall and "here" when they're up close. The pups do go though a phase where they'll test me but it's the same as if I'd used a word.

Kristen

River has a specific whistle recall of her own and then I have the general everyone come here whistle. On 5 acres in a fairly windy place, whistles work much better then calling.

River already knew how to come when I called her name so I just I just loaded up with treats, went in the backyard, called her name and then whistled right after. I also whistled every time she retrieved her ball since she was already heading towards me. Only took a few days for her to learn that was her whistle. The sound itself is me whistling her name with drawn out syllables, ie. tweeeeeet tweerrrrrrrrrr.

I tried to quick train Diesel to come to tweet tweet tweet - but he didn't pick it up right away, so I'll need to apply myself to teaching it to him specifically. He does come to the all call whistle which he learned from watching the other dogs.

Or did the OP mean using a whistle as a reward marker instead of a clicker? I know there are some people who prefer that, as it leaves their hands freer. Personally, I prefer the clicker (or a verbal, like 'Yes') as a reward marker - I think I'd have more trouble trying to coordinate the whistle - I'd end up breathing in instead of out and probably choking on the thing :rolleyes: .

I use whistle recall but do the opposite of what RR does. I whistle first then give the voice command when training. Once they get that down then I whistle and use hand signals.

That way if we are around other dogs and I don't want to disturb them I can use hand signals to get my dogs to come. I have found that some dogs no matter who whistles will come running and that is not always a good thing.

With hands signals some people don't even know you called your dog.

Doesn't matter if you use hand signals, clicker or whistle, anything is better than yelling for your dog IMO. It drives me crazy when we are at the dog park and you hear the guy calling and yelling Spot, Spot, Spot, come, come, come Spot, and all the while the dog is walking in the other direction.

I don't have much trouble getting my dogs to look at me. They never let me out of their site, so hand signals work well for us.

I play hide and seek by making them sit/stay until I whistle for them to come find me. I used to have to whistle more than once but now one whistle is all it takes.