BC Boards

My Border Collie is too mellow-is that normal?

I have a six year old female border collie (spayed) that in no way has ever resembled the term 'hyper'. I've had her since she was just 8 weeks old and even then she was just plain lazy. She livens up when ever we play ball or chases one of our 3 cats but most of the time she just lays around or is sleeping. We used to go hiking for about 3-5 miles, 3x a week but since I hurt my back I can't take her hiking anymore. I take her to the dog park to 'socialize' but she usually just 'hangs out' with me and watches the other dogs play. She's lying down about 23 hours a day and I have to 'drag' her along for a walk. The vet doesn't seem too concerned since she just recently had a torn ACL muscle repaired and she now favors that leg. I'm concerned that she may be depressed...how can you tell? By the way she has always been a 'good' dog with no unfavorable traits or bad habits and was easily trained. She is a wonderful 'companion dog' as she follows me wherever I go. So I'm not really complaining about her, I just want to know if anyone else has ever had such a mellow dog and is this 'normal' for some border collies to be this way. Please tell me if you have any ideas, thanks. :rolleyes:

post-7852-1188190120_thumb.jpg

I know some BC's can just be lazy or not quite as active as some are. Black Jack really isn't quite as hyper as most BC's. Although he loves to run and play, he's happy just sitting around too.

That's a good picture of her. I like the fuzzy top on her head :

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie is a mix so I can't really account for him, but a woman at the dog park had a beautiful fully purebred from working stock BC and she said she was "broken". LOL She was the same way, happy to just be with her person, had no interest whatsoever in sheep and was generally a lazy girl.

Your 'broken' girl is a beauty!

I too have a laid back bc Ashe is a relaxed fellow, very happy be with you no matter what, although even now at age 14 he will scream like he's being killed if one of the kids takes another of the dogs to play, doG forbid he be left behind. Ashe was my first agility dog, never super fast or hyper but always willing to do. Even as a young dog his biggest desire was simply be with the kids whether it was hanging out at the sandbox, watching play on the swings or running with them while they biked, scootered or rollerbaded around the neighborhood. In addtiion to the old man, I have a medium drive 7yr old female, who when she feels we've been lazy enough will wing toys at us and clack her jaws in her "whisper" bark to get us to play, I also have a 10 mo old high drive pup who last nigh at 11:30PM was standing on the bed throwing his frisbee at my husband and I in an entriety to play. So be VERY happy your girl is relaxed