BC Boards

Dog food as agility reward?

I went to Boise today to get Rohans Felidae. The woman there gave me some samples of Canidae for Riven. I was wondering if there would be any harm in using a piece as agility rewards. She can handle raw and kibble together, that isnt my question. I was wondering if it would be too ackward or not enough incentive or any thoughts on it.

Depends on the dog really. Mine have been eating raw for 7 years, so they go bonkers for kibble and think it's the bees knees. However, I generally just don't give them kibble at all. For food rewards, I make my own cookies - a can of salmon or tuna, a couple of eggs and a cup of flour in the food processor and then bake - we're good to go. I also make the same thing with chicken livers and add some herbs that make it smell extra good. They love 'em.

RDM

In my experience kibble is absolutely fine for agility rewards - - beings you are also feeding it on a daily basis I don't see a problem with it - - altho

I don't feed raw but i DO feed Canidae to my BC - -

as far as rewards go - - I carry different level of treats - - i use one of those carpenter aprons with 3 pockets across - - each pocket holds varying 'levels' of treats - - - Level one - - kibble or cut up liver treats etc - - Level two - - cut up hot dogs or string cheese - - Level 3 is the girls favorite pocket - - usually cooked chicken breast or elk roast - - they will do backflips for one out of there!!!!

If your dog is food motivated it really doesn't matter what comes out as a treat - - just as long as one does!!!! Or two or three for a job well done!! My trainer advocates reward jackpots when that contact is nailed - - or those weaves are correct - - making a moment of it so to speak ~ ~ ~

Enjoy your agility training - - it is such a rewarding experience with both my girls - - - :rolleyes:

I've fed raw for about 7 years and do use kibble as reward, just use a good quality kibble which you are doing. The dogs love it, they only get it while training which makes it a special treat for them

Lets see... one of my dogs NEVER gets anything more exciting than kibble (Bree). If I give her anything more exciting I'm peeling her off the ceiling. She's an adrenaline junky anyway, so my bigger problem is getting her to slow down and think some, so nothing real high value for her. Sometimes she also gets toy rewards.

June will get kibble if we're doing something she's really comfortable with and needs little motivation. I reserve hotdog pieces as her next level up, and for her string cheese is the BESTEST. I reserve string cheese for scary things, or when she's unsure. She (at this point) gets no toys for rewards as she loses her mind if she sees one. :rolleyes:

So, I'd say it depends on the dog - she'll let you know. I would, however, take a little of the kibble, and a little of something you think will be of different value just in case. :D

Mine are fed raw so to them kibble is "heaven in a processed bit of biscuit". I tell you what, it makes for a very cheap treat but the novelty wears off pretty quickly for them if you use it too often. Ive got dog sports 4-5 times a week so I need a large variety of treats or they just get bored. I basically use kibble and dry dog treats for work I do in the backyard but for work in public where there are more distractions I need to use cold meat, cheese etc.

Kibble as a reward is fine. My dogs love kibble as treats even if they just had some that morning. I like to use different kinds of treats, though, not just kibble. I usually use kibble as a "lower value" treat, like teaching something "easy" or reinforcing old behaviors and tricks.

Well that whole idea is in the scrapper. Miss "I love to steal bites of my neighbors dogs Ol Roy", refuses to eat Canidae. What a little punk!! She keeps spitting it out and looking at me like, "seriously? This is supposed to be a treat?" :rolleyes: She is sucha spoiled brat lol :D