BC Boards

Depressed

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm going to sound silly or not, but here goes. On Sunday, I took Lacee to PetSmart to get some treats and they happened to be having an adoption event. There were dogs and cats everywhere. Lacee seemed to have a great time, but as soon as I walked out the door, she was pulling me to get to the van, like she couldn't get out of there fast enough. Now, for the past couple of days, she's seemed depressed. She hasn't been her perky self. I'm wondering if she misses her sister, who passed away last Dec. Do you think seeing all those other dogs made her remember? Am I silly to put human emotions to a dog? She always had Katie with her, for 7 years, then suddenly she's not there. I know it's been 10 months, but who knows. Maybe she's sad she's alone?

hmmmm not sure on that one, could she be ill perhaps? maybe she is just not feeling very well and something scared her at the store which is why she wanted to dart to the car. Perhaps it is just coincidence and she is feeling a bit poorly now, nothing to do with the store.

I don't know from personal experience but i do know that dogs do get affected by loosing their doggie siblings.

Has she been ok in the last few months? i would have thought that if she has perhaps it isn't depression from that but something else. JMO

Sorry can't help you much really but i hope she feels better soon.

Guest WoobiesMom

I don't know if it reminded her or not. I do know that my elderly cat got very fat and lethargic and depressed when my dog Rush passed away. She didn't spend alot of time with him but I know they played and he chased her when I was out (because he hurt his leg a few times doing it!) and occassionally she'd grace him with her presence as they basked in the sun in front of the patio door. Although she hates our new cat, she lost 8 lbs. and got alot more frisky once he arrived.

Maybe Lacee is ready for a housemate?

It's JMHO but I believe dogs and cats are capable of grieving. When our border cat lost his sister, he grieved. He paced around the house meowing. One time I saw him on our stairs looking very forlorn. I went to him, held him and petted him. He just laid in my lap and drunk it in-not his normal way.

The way I see it, if they can feel love, happiness, fear and anger, why can't they feel grief? Or loneliness? After all, they are social pack animals. A new brother or sister, IMO, might make her happy again.

Thanks for the responses. I agree about her needing a new brother/sister, I'm just not sure if I am yet. It's so hard with no back yard and no where for them to play. But, on the other hand, maybe I could adopt an older dog with less energy. :rolleyes: I'm going to give her a couple of days and if she doesn't snap out of it, I'll get her checked to make sure there's nothing physically wrong.

I/family, had a kitty who cried & cried when his litter mate passed away unexpectedly. He would sit at the door and howl (like only a male cat can.) He stopped crying when a kitten was brought home for company, and within a few days he spent all his time taking care of the little guy... never cried like that again.

Guest LJS1993
It's JMHO but I believe dogs and cats are capable of grieving. When our border cat lost his sister, he grieved. He paced around the house meowing. One time I saw him on our stairs looking very forlorn. I went to him, held him and petted him. He just laid in my lap and drunk it in-not his normal way.

The way I see it, if they can feel love, happiness, fear and anger, why can't they feel grief? Or loneliness? After all, they are social pack animals. A new brother or sister, IMO, might make her happy again.

Wouldn't it have to be a smell that would trigger a memory? Or would something visual last that long in a dog's brain also?

This is just me but maybe seeing all those dogs made her think about her again. It's possible. Since she played and had a good time maybe it made her think of when she was around. She might just be thinking about her too.

I would have her checked in a day or so if she's still the same anyway.

Wouldn't it have to be a smell that would trigger a memory? Or would something visual last that long in a dog's brain also?

Yes. Dogs have good memories. And memories stir up emotions. BC's particularly have good memories and they are sensitive dogs. I'm not saying dogs are like people but when a human woman is 'sensitive', she's often called emotional. Right? I just feel bc's are more 'in tuned'.