BC Boards

Agressive Outbursts

I want to do this the right way. This pup I found the other night is quite the little roughneck. Im trying to understand what triggers her. I think its mainly the noise and excitement when I come home or when its time to go outside. Its not a real problem now since she's so small, but im worried that when she gets bigger that she could really do some damage. I think its mainly for show, but she sounds so agressive. She settles down pretty quickly. How do I put this little b**ch in check? I plan on starting basic training with her ASAP. She has had no prior training that I can tell. She doesnt have any problems with people just other dogs. Its like she just wants them to see what a big bad dog she is.

Would you be worried about this, or just accept it as her personality as long as she doesnt do any damage? Im a bit lost as you can see.

**eta***

On the other hand, she plays wonderfully with Jenna and they get along great. Buddy, not so much. I think she can sense that Buddy is pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order.

Barking, growling, lunging. . .the whole bit. She seems so young but she's definately trying to assert her dominace. I have little doubt that she would follow through if a dog decided to fight about it. I took her to petsmart to fit her for a halter and she wanted to go after every dog she saw. I hope that with some training I can get her to in effect "leave it". I dont think I will be able to necessarily change her, but hopefully control her. She likes people though.

Oh ok. You know it's hard to say if she is all bluff or not. Sometimes they can be.

For instance, I had a lab/Jack russel/? mix for 11 yrs. she would do that to everyone(dogs included), then run up and throw herself at their feet, and look up at them, all submissive, wriggling-like, tongue flopped out and ready for a scratch. Weird.

I had a trainer assess her and she said it was all bluff. She brought her dobie and Reilly was fine with him too. She said it was just the terrier in her...?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, as I know I've said this over and over, I find it so beneficial for a dog in a new environment to be left very quiet for the first week to ten days. Being socially excluded relieves them of any pressure of having to find their place in the pack right away and even less pressure of needing to take over said pack.

Regardless of happy times, amusing zoomies, and trips to petsmart where everyone fawns over them, a new environment is stressful and what you're seeing "could" be that stess.

I would really suggeste some down time, kennel time, crate time and quiet play time with very little superflous affection or cuddles.

I know it's difficult, and I'm the worst at taking my own advice sometimes, but I've seen first hand the difference it makes and the dog benefits.

Good luck!

Maria

I understand what you're saying. Down time in this household is difficult to come by though. I was working with her alone in the kitchen a while ago. Just some basic commands and the clicker. Buddy could hear us through the door. When we were done, I opened the door and gave the pup a chewy to play quietly with. Buddy came in and tried to steal it and a fight escalated immedietly. She would have gotten hurt if I hadnt intervened. So they were seperated and Buddy went to his crate. They are fine now. I guess I'll save the chewy for crate time from now on.

Here is an excellent book: How Dogs Think - Understanding the Canine Mind.

http://product.half.ebay.com/How-Dogs-Thin...473388QQtgZinfo

This book will help you understand what is going on and tell you what may work to change the dog's behavior.

Hector

----------------------------

darwin.gif

----------------------------