BC Boards

Fight at the dog park

Guest LJS1993

If the question was how to break up a dog fight, read this:

How to break up a dog fight

The above is excerpted from a much longer article (with many gory pictures) from Leerburg. I think it is good advice and I dearly hope I never have to use it.

For steps you can take a little earlier in the process, this is good:

Dog fights at dog parks

i realize that at times it would not be possible for both owners to react quickly enough, leaving one owner to fend off the attacking dog by themselves. (ive had this happen already on two occasions). would it be wrong in this case to teach your dog self defense? i say this because the dogs won't always listen to humans especially in a fight and if my dog can somehow growl back and stand her ground it might just do the trick and scare the other dog away

If all goes as planned, our dogs will be mostly on our property to run and play. I'm going to be alot more comfortable having my own dogs form their own hierarchy rather than deal with the park. The only thing I will miss are two friends we have made there. Sean, the guy with the Chow-Pei and Kathleen, the lady with the Airedale mix that Freckles loves. I'm thinking of getting their phone numbers so we can setup some private times just with our own dogs.

Just as an aside, as someone with acreage and multiple dogs, I've found that it's still necessary to get some dogs out and meeting other dogs for a truly socialized dog. Some are born social butterflies and will always do well and some will always need that extra effort. Having dogs at home to play with, they do establish their own pack and pack pecking order, but it doesn't always prepare them when meeting new dogs out of their own environment. If a dog is particularly sensitive, it will become used to and dependant on its own pack and will still feel insecure out of its own environment.

Just some food for thought if your dog is the one needing the "extra effort".

Maria

PS: dog parks are great..........for well behaved pooches with responsible owners!

I don't understand why the lady keeps bringing her snarky dog back to the park. Clover got 3 chances to be good (i wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt based on number of dogs, time of day etc) but after that she's been banned (per me) from dog parks and doggie social situations where I can't be on top of things and in control.

It sounds like from what your describing that no one is having much fun (including the dog in question) when they come so how is that supposed to help the dog?

<To the lady>: it's called responsiblity, hello?!

I am another one that has had 99% positive experiences at the dog parks we frequent. We take Ouzo to the parks mainly to exercise off leash and swim his legs off. He LOVES it, although he does not interact too much with the other dogs.

He is the self appointed police-dog when a brawl begins between some random dogs at the park, he usualy runs to the culprits and barks at them "Cut it out!", but never participates in any wresting matches.

This is what he's doing in this picture, taken last Sunday. Both of the ill tempered dogs were girls (of course :rolleyes: )

IMG_0092.jpg

He enjoys knowing there are many dogs around, but he's all about running and fetching his tennis balls ad-nauseum. The parks we go to are large parks with acres of land to run and lakes to swim, so there are not too many dogs crowded together in a fenced area, as some other dog parks are.

In defense of those among us with the "snarky" dogs...

I don't take my guy to any official "dog park," because that would give him a meltdown. Meetings are tense for him sometimes - I don't know what rule he has in his head about who he likes, who he tolerates, and who he hates, but there's obviously some mathematic formula Buddy follows: 10% love, 10% hate, 80% apathy.

I do, though, walk my dog in some local parks where there are paths and people walk their dogs. He goes off leash when we're alone or with a group of dogs he's friends with. He's 100% reliable to NOT approach strange dogs - the problem is them approaching US - and I always leash him before we meet another dog. I tell people, "He's not always friendly when meeting." Most times we have great experiences and the other owners keep their distance, or leash their dogs and let us do a careful meeting. But every once in a while, there's the random person who is 100 yards behind her dog, and the dog comes bounding up to us, and I have to manage a leashed, snarling Buddy along with an out-of-control, jumpy, "friendly" dog.

I'm sure, to those owners, I'm known as the one with the "mean" dog, and I'm sure they say, "I don't know why she brings that dog here when she knows he doesn't get along with other dogs!"

It's not easy being the owner of the grouch!

Mary

Guest WoobiesMom

Mary, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :D It's not okay for people to let their dogs just bound up and get in another dog's face, even at the dog park. It's natural for a dog to get snarky when greeted so rudely. I've trained Woobie to "leave it" when a dog is entering the park. There's always such a crowd around the entering dog, it's a wonder they don't all get snarky with up to 10-15 dogs sometimes all crowding around and shoving their noses you know where. :rolleyes:

I used to be the owner of the snarky dog. My former male dog was very male aggressive and I always had to be on guard like you are. I could always tell by Rush's body language if the approaching dog was male or female and I got those same looks when I said "He's not good with males". I actually had a few people say "Maybe he shouldn't be on the trail then" when their OFF LEAD dog stuck their face in my dog's crotch! I finally got frustrated and said once to a big guy "Maybe you should obey the leash law!"

Guest LJS1993
Just as an aside, as someone with acreage and multiple dogs, I've found that it's still necessary to get some dogs out and meeting other dogs for a truly socialized dog. Some are born social butterflies and will always do well and some will always need that extra effort. Having dogs at home to play with, they do establish their own pack and pack pecking order, but it doesn't always prepare them when meeting new dogs out of their own environment. If a dog is particularly sensitive, it will become used to and dependant on its own pack and will still feel insecure out of its own environment.

Just some food for thought if your dog is the one needing the "extra effort".

Maria

PS: dog parks are great..........for well behaved pooches with responsible owners!

Yes, we will still get the dogs socialized via the dog park. For instance out of seven days we may frequent the park one to two days of the week just to keep our dogs in practice. However lately we have been going around five to six days a week which is quite a bit. In essence we really put Freckles on a deep socialization schedule since she was so shy.

Guest LJS1993
Mary, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :D It's not okay for people to let their dogs just bound up and get in another dog's face, even at the dog park. It's natural for a dog to get snarky when greeted so rudely. I've trained Woobie to "leave it" when a dog is entering the park. There's always such a crowd around the entering dog, it's a wonder they don't all get snarky with up to 10-15 dogs sometimes all crowding around and shoving their noses you know where. :rolleyes:

That's another problem at this park. Everytime a dog is entering the grounds these people allow their dogs to crowd around him/her. In fact the crowding occurred before this fight. Freckles is given a stay command and does a very good job staying with us. Don't get me wrong, she is no angel, but man she is so much more behaved than the other's at the park.

Guest WoobiesMom

I'll just also add that I'm lucky enough to be able to go during lots of different times of the day. There are weekends when I roll up and just keep on going because there are too many unfamiliar dogs and it's really crowded. Woobie gets a sad face then so we have to go for a really long walk to make up for it. I've managed to figure out when the good regulars go (late evening, right before sundown). Right after work hours (4 to 6:30ish) is crazy, too many wound up dogs! When the semester starts up again, I'll be going to school most nights, so we'll be going during the morning when the old ladies go. They tend to sit and gab and not have control of their dogs, so we'll have to play it by ear then.

I also wonder why some people go at all. We have a disabled woman who can barely walk and she brings her small min. poodle mix into the big dog area. If something started w/her dog, she'd be at the mercy of whatever good samaritan chose to try to save her dog. That's just irresponsible.

Guest LJS1993
I'll just also add that I'm lucky enough to be able to go during lots of different times of the day. There are weekends when I roll up and just keep on going because there are too many unfamiliar dogs and it's really crowded. Woobie gets a sad face then so we have to go for a really long walk to make up for it. I've managed to figure out when the good regulars go (late evening, right before sundown). Right after work hours (4 to 6:30ish) is crazy, too many wound up dogs! When the semester starts up again, I'll be going to school most nights, so we'll be going during the morning when the old ladies go. They tend to sit and gab and not have control of their dogs, so we'll have to play it by ear then.

I also wonder why some people go at all. We have a disabled woman who can barely walk and she brings her small min. poodle mix into the big dog area. If something started w/her dog, she'd be at the mercy of whatever good samaritan chose to try to save her dog. That's just irresponsible.

Yes these ladies are elderly indeed. It is kind of hard because they love their dogs so much, yet physically can't always do the best for them. Also, they all mean well and have good intentions, though possibly misguided. If that fight really would have become extremely serious I would have to say that only my fiance and myself would physically be able to break it up. Sean, my buddy wasn't there, nor were any of the younger handlers. It ran through my mind very quickly that I might have to be the one to get in there and break things up.

Could it be the "crabby" dog is at the dog park too much and is thinking it's her park? Thus being protective of her park?

We had this happen at our dog park and when the owner kept the dogs away for a while they were fine when they came back, no more fights. Maybe that's the trick, mix it up and don't have a set schedule.

I take my girls to 3 different places on different days because I don't want them getting the idea they own the dog park or wherever we are.

There is a greyhound who comes to our dog park and he would always run and nip at any of the dogs who were running for balls or just playing. So as a group we told the owner and he now puts a muzzle on Tyson so he can't nip anymore. He still runs and plays with the other dogs and has a blast, but he wears a muzzle.

Most things can be worked out if we only try. and if not we can always leave. I love the dog parks and don't want to stop taking my girls but if I had to because of a stupid lazy owner I would.

Guest LJS1993
Could it be the "crabby" dog is at the dog park too much and is thinking it's her park? Thus being protective of her park?

We had this happen at our dog park and when the owner kept the dogs away for a while they were fine when they came back, no more fights. Maybe that's the trick, mix it up and don't have a set schedule.

I take my girls to 3 different places on different days because I don't want them getting the idea they own the dog park or wherever we are.

There is a greyhound who comes to our dog park and he would always run and nip at any of the dogs who were running for balls or just playing. So as a group we told the owner and he now puts a muzzle on Tyson so he can't nip anymore. He still runs and plays with the other dogs and has a blast, but he wears a muzzle.

Most things can be worked out if we only try. and if not we can always leave. I love the dog parks and don't want to stop taking my girls but if I had to because of a stupid lazy owner I would.

Well these ladies our at the park every single day. Unless there is a mass consensus, it's going to be hard to get the lady to take some time off. Plus, she is a volunteer at the shelter so she is heavily favored with management.

I am another one that has had 99% positive experiences at the dog parks we frequent. We take Ouzo to the parks mainly to exercise off leash and swim his legs off. He LOVES it, although he does not interact too much with the other dogs.

He is the self appointed police-dog when a brawl begins between some random dogs at the park, he usualy runs to the culprits and barks at them "Cut it out!", but never participates in any wresting matches.

This is what he's doing in this picture, taken last Sunday. Both of the ill tempered dogs were girls (of course :rolleyes: )

He enjoys knowing there are many dogs around, but he's all about running and fetching his tennis balls ad-nauseum. The parks we go to are large parks with acres of land to run and lakes to swim, so there are not too many dogs crowded together in a fenced area, as some other dog parks are.

that's totally like my clover! she's a patrol dawg and somehows knows the rules around the house and yard and growls at skye when she gets outta line

Guest LJS1993
that's totally like my clover! she's a patrol dawg and somehows knows the rules around the house and yard and growls at skye when she gets outta line

The patrol dog at our park is this huge female mixed breed. By the way, the lady who had the anxiety attack is okay. I think she is going to take some days off from the park though. I tell you what though, that crabby dog is getting on my nerves. The only version of play she understands is growling and picking on Freckles from time to time. Cool thing is I got Freckles' favorite playmates number and might be setting up play times just for our dogs. I've learned alot about dog and people dynamics so far from being at the dog park. Some good and some not so good.

Mary, I wasn't trying to pick on you... I also have a snarky dog... and like you, I don't force her into dog park situations or places where i know 100% sure that I'm going to have an issue every time I go... my issue is with owners that just don't seem to care that their dog is the troublemaker or do anything about it (which obviously you do take action).

I agree that people shouldn't let their dogs bound free if they're the type to run up to strange dogs and into their faces and possibly get themselves bitten...although i must say that Clover does run ahead of me sometimes when we hike in the parks either with our own dogs or also with the 5 other dogs that come with us a lot but she NEVER approaches strange dogs unless she's ready to be friendly and even then she'll walk up and politely say hello and wait for them to reciprocate before she gets super duper excited and in their face.

So, again, my comments were not directed at people like you and me...but people like the dog park lady