BC Boards

sar dog deaths

its been a while since ive posted but i had to share this.i now know of 6 sar dogs who were in ny on 9/11 that have died of cancer in the last 6 months. my golden shemp, has large tumors on his hips and shoulders. he was there too.please remember these brave and skilled dogs in your thoughts as you interact with your dogs today.we are currently turning 8 acres of our farm into a cadaver dog training facility.this will allow the training of future generations of sar dogs an opportunity to develop their skills as sar dogs.wish us all luck.

bob

Sorry to hear about your Shemp.

Those dogs are all Hero's in my book along with the ppl who dedicate so much of their own lives to training, taking care of and working these dogs.

In my thoughts and prayers

All the best of luck with your endeavor

I thought of Shemp when I read of the recent cancer death of one of the other 9/11 dogs - rest assured the dogs' outstanding work is remembered and deeply appreciated (as well as that of the Oklahoma City dogs).

Best wishes on the new training facility which will likely benefit all of us in the future. My first thought was that it was certainly a terrific tribute to Shemp.

I read about the latest death. The comment was that most dogs develop such tumors at 11-12. What b*****t. This seems statistically significant.

Of course, they also claim people suffered no serious side effects - unless they did that day.

Sorry to hear about Shemp and about the continuing premature illness and deaths attributable to the SAR work in NYC. I am sure many are continuing to pay the price for putting themselves on the line to help save others. Do we ever truly understand how much we owe the folks who do SAR, firefighting, police, military, etc.? I doubt it, unless we experience their efforts directly.

It's always good to hear from you. All the best to you and all the good dogs!