BC Boards

Sophie around sheep

As you all may be aware, my Sophie is the prettiest herding BC!!!

I really love her and have the opportunity to let her go sheep herding occasionally. Well... in the BC mag is says: " unless you intend to compete in sheepdog or cowdog trials, do yourself and your BC a favor and don't introduce your dog to livestock. You show it stock, and chances are you're going to change it's personality forever. If you aren't going to work livestock, you shouldn't introduce them. You're better off never throwing that switch, because the dog will never be satisfied after that."

What do you think? I am going wrong??

That question has come up a few times on this forum and the general concensus from the working dog people here is that a dog will enjoy every second you give it - but they don't sit at home sulking when they're not. So generally that advice is disregarded, at least around here... there are plenty here who do some herding for fun now and again, but not all the time. Doesn't seem to hurt their dogs any.

I was worried about that, too, but Speedy has been taking lessons every week since March and he's just fine when he's not around sheep.

If anything, he's more content and focused on whatever we are doing. He's not sitting around pining for sheep, as I had once feared he would. He is still totally into ball and he still enjoys obedience training just as much as ever.

Guest amylobdell24

That was my first forum question!! Ditto what Natalie said...The thing that stuck in my mind from the answers I got was - your dog lives in the moment, so they will enjoy every second of herding time they have, but you don't have to worry about them sitting at home, thinking - gee, I wish I was on sheep right now. From my own personal experience, I think it's calmed my dog down a bit. Getting all those exercise and herding needs fulfilled (though we only go once a week) seems to have stopped obsessive herding behaviors elsewhere (like trying to herd me through an agility course!). It seems to have given her an outlet for that natural instinct she knows she has - and a purpose for it. It hasn't changed her personality except for the better. Hope you give it a try - you'll both be hooked Good Luck!!, Amy

Nah...Loki's had several lessons now, and he's the same goofy sweet, affectionate, ball-chasing dog he was before. He wants to be everywhere Colby (dh) is, whether on the jobsite or at lessons. If anything I think he may even have a stronger bond with Colby.