BC Boards

Shepherd's crooks

OK. A lot of things have been covered on these boards, but not this, as far as I know.

I'm going to Scotland for the International in September. I have an "order" in from 3 people who would like me to bring them back shepherd's crooks.

Do I take them in the cabin of the plane with me, put them in cargo or ship them. I won't have too much time to post and ship, and the easiest way, or so I think, would be taking them on the plane with me.

Whaddya think?

Well, I guess I could call the airline, but it's easier to ask here. ;0)))

If possible I would take them in the cabin with me. The flight attendants should be able to find a place to store them safely (assuming no one thinks they could be used as weapons, that is).

If they must go cargo (and this is why you may want to call the airline and ask), make sure they are packed very well in sturdy containers.

I've not actually shipped crooks, but in my opinion this is what makes sense.

Are you just hoping to find crooks once you're there? I drove throughout Wales last year and never actually saw crooks for sale, so you may want to make arrangements beforehand to be sure that you can get what your friends are looking for.

J.

Thanks Julie. Actually I was thinking exactly what you mentioned. I'm just wondering if it's at the International, if there might be items like shepherd's crooks for sale. I don't know, but I agree, I might have to look into it before hand and make arrangements.

Shepherd's crooks = WMD's perhaps?

Trying to board a plane carrying a handful of 5 foot crooks might be abit of a hassle.

I agree with Root Beer that it might be alot easier just to ship them rather then try to carry them.

A good crook is not exactly an inexpensive item either, a couple hundred bucks is not unusual to pay for one.

crookbc.jpg

Originally posted by IronHorse:

Trying to board a plane carrying a handful of 5 foot crooks might be abit of a hassle.

I agree with Root Beer that it might be alot easier just to ship them rather then try to carry them.

A good crook is not exactly an inexpensive item either, a couple hundred bucks is not unusual to pay for one.

crookbc.jpg

:eek: :eek: i had one finished from pre shaped wood last year at the royal bath and west show very similar to the one in your pic, made from sweet chestnut and it cost me ?30.

mind you it is nowhere near as pretty as some of the polished wood and horn crooks you can get, but then i dont mind using mine and it getting dropped and trodden on! i had mine done for me as all the ones i saw pre finished were shorter that mine, mine is quite tall as i also use it for hooking blackberries down with :rolleyes:

I know there are some good crook makers here. You're right, Muddy, I'm coming from the standpoint of souvenirs & functional. The three people who have asked me are using pvc, and that's functional enough, I think just the thought of a crook brought back from the International would be pretty cool.

Joan, thanks for the info about the Welsh crookmaker. Whatis yours like?

Donna, if you're going, maybe we could meet up. Anyone else fromt the list going?