BC Boards

freebie genetic test!

SoloRiver

Hey all,

I'll be sequencing Solo's mdr1 gene for kicks to determine if he has the deletion responsible for ivermectin toxicity -- not because he has ever suffered from ivermectin toxicity, but because of his Metacam scare and the fact that the gene is related to various toxicities. While I'm at it I may as well sequence a bunch of other dogs too, so:

(1) if you've already submitted DNA from your dog to the Canine Behavioral Genetics Project, with a pedigree, and

(2) your dog has a known medical history, and

(3) he or she has ever suffered from adverse reaction to a drug (especially an NSAID),

then contact me.

I'll probably only be doing a handful of dogs, and ideally I'd like to end up with a sample made up of some dogs that have had toxic reactions and some that haven't, and some Border Collies and some members of other herding breeds that are known to have the mutation (which, from all evidence, Border Collies do not, and I don't expect to find anything to the contrary especially with a miniscule sample, but you never know...). So if although it'll be mostly Border Collies, if you've got a stray Aussie lying around that you submitted, with a known medical history, let me know. It would be especially interesting if I have samples from siblings and one has had adverse drug reactions and the other hasn't.

I can't guarantee that I'll include your dog, but if I do I'll let you know what I find out.

You can either PM me, or email me at MelanieC@lppi.ucsf.edu. Thanks!

I don't guess I could do it if I haven't yet submitted a DNA sample? From a dog related to Solo? Like, Ben? Who has had reactions to Interceptor and ace?

I didn't do the sample yet because I've been looking for the box that has all their pedigrees. :rolleyes:

If you can get me the sample this week I'll include Ben for family's sake!

A SitStay pedigree will do.

Ooh, Solo had a reaction to Ace! But it was a "if I'm going down I'm taking you all out with me" reaction and I have a feeling Ben didn't have that one.

No, it was more like, "What the &$*%(%( are you doing to me!" For like, two days. That was terrifying. Nevereverevereverever again.

I doubt the mdr1 sequence will uncover anything, though, because he takes ivermectin every month. He'd be like, dead now, right, if he had the mutation?

I'll grub around tomorrow and see whether I can find a copy of the ped tucked away somewhere. I'll drop you an e-mail if I'm successful.

I never got in touch with you-know-who by the way - she's avoiding me, apparently. I have no beef with her so I don't know why. Did you get enough other samples?

• 1 year later...
I doubt the mdr1 sequence will uncover anything, though, because he takes ivermectin every month. He'd be like, dead now, right, if he had the mutation?

No, the dose in the monthly Heartguard pills is much too small to kill even dogs who are homozygous for the mutation. It is when you need to treat for HW infection with high doses of ivermectin or when you need to use certain other drugs that knowing if your dog has the mutation or not matters.

I didn't get enough responses (actually, I got none from the BC Boards at all) to justify doing the comparison, so I didn't run it.

I have 8 bc' you can test. Do you have to have papers to do it? 4 dont, 1 I know his breeder but, not the litter info his papers were lost or the litter wasn't registered. None of the papered ones have any issues with meds but, the unpapered ones have the behavioral problems.