BC Boards

Insect repellant

I walk Whisper off-leash in the woods; she has a lot of fun exploring. One thing that she does not like are the deer flies. I've used Bounce dryer sheets on myself to keep mosquitos away (supposed to help kill the wet-dog smell, too, though I have yet to do the research to see if the sheet are pet-safe), but do nothing for deer flies. The flies will light on her ears, burrow in and attach themselves. If she stops long enough, I pick them off her, but she doesn't always stand still long enough for me to do this until just before we go inside. Is there any pet-safe insect repellant that will actually work on this pest, and can deer flies carry diseases?

Try "Gnatural Fly Repellent" creme or spray or Rio Vista's "Pet So Soft" or "Coat So Soft" spray. (One is labeled for dogs & one for horses, but it's the same stuff.) Both work wella for flies & gnats, tho for a short time so you will have to re-apply after a few hours. Bonus- they both smell good! I use them on myself too!

Lori Cunningham

My neighbors swear by using the bounce sheets on their dogs--wrap around their collars. I haven't had the need for it as of yet....

Edit: Spoke too soon; mosquitoes and spiders are in full orb....one of which is feasting on my ankles at night. I'm trying the bounce thing....as ID had the highest number of cases of severe WNV last year I have been told (but not sure if the rates were percentages or raw numbers). Lovely....

Many of the insect repellants made for horses are safe for dogs. The ones that are safe for dogs usually say so on the label.

Would you worry, though, about using a pyrethrin-based horse insect repellant on a dog treated with Frontline or similar? I use a spot-on fly repellant for the horses, which is supposed to last two weeks but in the swamps of SC gets overwhelmed in a week or so. But I'm afraid to augment with a pyrethrin fly spray for fear of overdosing them on insecticide. :rolleyes:

I've compromised by applying Marigold by Eqyss (just cloves and rosemary - no chemicals) which is safe for dogs also. It works ok but doesn't last very long - it would probably do you for the length of time you walk the dog though.

I guess it would depend on the situation. For instance, I would not have a problem taking some and just wiping it on the ears (prime fly location) to help keep the flies away on a walk.

I use Bio-spot as a flea/tick repellant. It is pymetherin based and, come to think about it, the flies seem to leave the dogs alone - even when they're biting me.

I use Bronco fly spray on my horse but it says it's safe for dogs also. I have put some in my hand and rubbed his ears, and maybe his back but I haven't sprayed him with it yet. It seems to work though. My horse is very touchy with fly sprays (he'll get bumps and swell up with most of them) so I figure it's pretty miled stuff.

One item you might want to look at is 'Nature's Guardian' products...found it at Walmart; made by

Sergeant's and uses essential oils to repel fleas, ticks etc. Safe around everyone inc kids ...

the line includes a topical appl, spray etc. worth a shot instead of Frontline. :rolleyes:

Re Bounce: I've heard that it destroys dryers by the way. IF you use it in the dryer, take out the lint trap and wash it with soap and water. Otherwise, the bounce stuff lines the lint trap and prevents any air from passing, thus making the dryer work harder, thus burning out/wearing down the dryer prematurely. Some trivia....

I hadn't heard that Bounce can destroy your dryer--I tend to used Solo, which has fabric softener built in. I don't like dryer sheets because I heard they can be a fire hazard--probably for the reason they destroy the dryer!

Thanks everyone for your input!

I love that Nature's Guardian - our flies are vicious, and Ben's current plight is evidence of how frighteningly persistent the ticks are. Everyone is on Frontline AND the Nature's Guardian AND I spritz them with Bronco when we go work - just the ear and back of the head. I like the spray best - it even has a bit of staying power through swimming, where the Bronco goes bye-bye as soon as they hit the water.

Nature's Guardian smells so good! The Herbal Armor looks similiar.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

My house has a permanent aroma of Nature's Guardian. I love that stuff! I spray it on the dog beds and crate pads and then on the dogs every couple of weeks. I have never had a flea or tick problem (knock on wood) but the fosters often come with both critters so I try to prevent them from coming into the house and on my dogs.

The mosquitoes in my yard must be immune to that Herbal Armour stuff because they still bite the crap out of me when I use that stuff. I like a product called Buzz Away Extreme better. The ingredients appear to be the same as Herbal Armour but for some reason it works 10x better on me.

With the massive amount of rain we've gotten here this year, the mosquitoes are BAAAAD. I've never sprayed the yard for mosquitoes but I have purchased a bottle of "Bug Free Backyard" now. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to use it or not. I hate using chemicals on my yard at all but the mosquitoes are almost unbearable for me and the dogs both. Anyone have any better suggestions? Last year I used a product called Mosquito Barrier that's basically concentrated garlic juice. I sprayed more than the bottle suggested and it worked for about three days and the buggers were back in full force (though not nearly as bad as this year).

Hey now you know how those of us at the southern end of I-45 feel pretty much year round. Sorry,

couldn't help it. After the proverbial Noah's flood we' re ALL fighting the little demons... well not 'little',

some are big enough to throw a saddle on and buck out!!!!!!