BC Boards

What dog food?

I'll pick up Luke in 2 1/2 weeks and I was wondering what I should feed him. In my local pet shops I can get dog foods as such as Royal Canin or Nutro. Would you recommend this foods? I could also get Canidae, Eagle Pack and so on over the internet but the problem with most american dog food is that it's from time to time not avialibale. :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

I found that Nutros gave Woobie loose stools and he won't eat Science Diet on its own. After reading advice here, I'm changing him over to Merrick Grandma's Pot Pie. He was all over the bag with interest before I even opened it. I hope it helps with the stools, they're a pain to scoop at the dog park!!! :rolleyes:

I like both Canidae (two eating it) and Eagle Pack Holistic (Bute eats it - he is very fussy), both in the chicken and rice formulas.

I don't think I've heard anything bad about Royal Canin and I have fed Nutro (Sensitive Stomach - for Bute) without problems.

By the way, over here at least, most folks don't feed puppy food, or at least not after three months of age. Good quality adult food is sufficient for good growth and some puppy foods are just too "rich" and may promote unhealthy, faster growth.

Best wishes at getting the info you need and settling on the right food for your pup.

Hey Borderfreak,

I just saw that you're in Bremen (one of my favorite cities). You might want to repost asking about food available in Germany--there are several folks on the Boards who live in Germany and they probably have some good ideas.

Rolf?? Sandra S.??

I remember that pet food selection was tricky when I was living in central Germany with my kitty--I'm sure it's much better now. You might also ask the breeder what he/she is feeding Herr Luke.

I'll pick up Luke in 2 1/2 weeks and I was wondering what I should feed him. In my local pet shops I can get dog foods as such as Royal Canin or Nutro. Would you recommend this foods? I could also get Canidae, Eagle Pack and so on over the internet but the problem with most american dog food is that it's from time to time not avialibale. :rolleyes:

My father is a dog trainer over in Luxembourg, (agility, and personal protection) he has been there and training for 35 yrs. He is promoting a dog food now, and has been for a couple of years,. I cant remember the name of it, but he seems to really like it for all types of dogs in working situations. You can reach him via his e-mail @ samgrau@gmail.com or k9osam@hotmail.com. If he doesnt get back with you, e-mail me, and I'll call him and give him your #. He has Bov's and they look great on it.

Thx Darci!

I think I will feed him Canadie, Nutro as alternative when Canadie is not availible and maybe Timberwolf when it's availabile in Germany again. My breeder also feed two kinds of dog food and Luke has no problems with it!

Royal Canin does make one holistic food. I forget what it's called. But it's got a special look to the bag and everything. My dogs did fine on it. I've been avoiding chicken-based foods is the only reason I haven't fed it recently. I liked the ingredients though.

By the way, over here at least, most folks don't feed puppy food, or at least not after three months of age. Good quality adult food is sufficient for good growth and some puppy foods are just too "rich" and may promote unhealthy, faster growth.

So I can feed him just a little more of adult food without any problem?

So I can feed him just a little more of adult food without any problem?

That raises a good question and one that I can't really help you with. I would avoid over-feeding. I hope others can give better advice but generally I feed several small meals a day (up to four) with a young pup, and taper down to two meals a day as his/her ability to consume enough at one sitting allows.

At a guess, I'd probably start out with 1/4 cup, four times a day, if the pup will consume that. I would be gradually increasing the amount fed per meal and decreasing the number of meals until, in general, I would be feeding the young dog about two cups of food per day, divided into two meals.

That said, I have one dog that only requires 1/2 cup twice a day to maintain a good body condition at 35#, and another that takes 1 cup twice a day to maintain his 42# condition, and a younger dog that eats about 1 cup twice a day and runs at a very lanky and bony 32# (and doesn't seem able to consume any more good food but can eat tremendous quantities of cow and horse manure, and assorted junk).

The owner's eye (and sometimes the aid of a scale) is the best gauge of how much to feed and if what you are feeding is good for the dog. Bright eyes, glossy coat (a pup is fluffier and less glossy until the adult coat comes in), good energy and outlook, etc., are good indicators. A pup (or dog) shouldn't be fat but the bones of the hips and ribs should be easily felt through the fur, but don't keep so lean that the backbone is very prominent.

I often adjust my feeding up and down, as I notice someone getting a bit plump (Megan shows it in her tummy) or a bit leaner than I'd like. I make small adjustments, double-check with the scale (as I know their ideal weight over time), and wish I would do the same for me!

Best wishes getting a food and feeding program that works for you and your dog!