BC Boards

dog attacks

I have a park out the fron of me where lots of people walk their dogs

ben has been going out there for a few weeks now

he met the dogs one at a time and was friendly and tried to play with all of them

a couple are a bit grumpy and groweld at him but he dint let it bother him at all

the 2nd dog he met is a 10month old collie and they got along fine-the collie supervising meeting other dogs so they were nice to ben

2 weeks ago that family got a lovely 8 week old collie pup

for about the last week ben has had a bit of an upset tummy (seems better on the new food)

some of the other dogs have been getting a bit snappy with each other the past couple of weeks

but in the last week this dog has started going for ben - no dammage but it sounds really nasty, and is going on even though ben is on his back straight away

1st time ben gave a wee yelp then was ok

but this time he was shaking and crying long after-I picked him up and gave him big hugs-and kept him away from nasty dog

we kept dog on lead and walked round park-but ben kept close to me

when we stopped to talk to other dogs ben went over for a friendly sniff and got the nasties again

now I know all dogs don't like each other but I was surprised by the force used on a small pup

any ideas what is going on here? anything I can do-I don't want ben to be scared of meeting dogs cos he is so friendly and happy just now

is it cos of the new pup? isit cos ben seemed ill? isit cos the dog pack is getting a bit big? or is this constant rain driving all the dogs mad?

My advice is to keep Ben away from the park for now, and have him play with dogs you can trust. Sometimes dogs get posessive over dog park territory, sometimes dogs just don't like others- it is hard to say. What I can say is that you want to limit his exposure to bad things, and increase his exposure to good things- especially wrt interactions with other dogs.

Julie

I don't know where you take your dog, but you might also try a different venue. Potential alternate venues in your area include:

- Victoria Park

- Kelvingrove Park

- Queens Park

- Walk along the Firth of Forth Canal

Just a suggestion...

I think it is important to protect your dog from other dogs, especially if the other dog is larger. I generally let Meg and Ruby decide whether a dog is OK to sniff, but if I see ANY sign of agression I pull them away. If a dog ever got one of my girls on her back, it would be pepper sprayed or kicked. I've heard of too many serious attacks at dog parks to take a chance with a dog I don't know.

Guest LJS1993
I think it is important to protect your dog from other dogs, especially if the other dog is larger. I generally let Meg and Ruby decide whether a dog is OK to sniff, but if I see ANY sign of agression I pull them away. If a dog ever got one of my girls on her back, it would be pepper sprayed or kicked. I've heard of too many serious attacks at dog parks to take a chance with a dog I don't know.

I concur. I feel weird but I admit, if I do take Freckles to dog parks eventually I am still taking my kali stick with me. Any dog that gets serious may receive a flogging. :rolleyes:

cheers for the advice (again-so many questions with a new pup)

I know there are tonnes of great parks to go to here-and we do

problem is this park is 5m away from my front door-its where he goes for a run every morning and evening

I will just leave when this dog comes in

I am just confused why he changed-he was so good with ben that that was why his owners got another pup

the owner puts his dog on the lead and tells him off but is there anything we can do??

btw-all dogs get ben on his back-he butt wags like crazy, rolls on his back and lets them sniff him then he plays with them

so much as a curled lip from any of the dogs now and we are out of there

At 10 mo old, the collie is maturing and its not uncommon to see behavioral changes at that age. The addition of the pup could also be affecting their family dynamic.

How old is Ben? Is he neutered? If he's young and maturing as well, he could have lost his 'puppy license' as far as this dog is concerned. I would suspect that the collie already had some issues with other dogs that the owners didn't recognize and poor Ben has the right set of something to push all this dogs buttons now.

Even though this park is convenient, I would recommend traveling a little farther to another park. If that isn't possible, I would avoid this other dog at all costs. Too many incidents like the one you described and Ben could start reacting to other dogs and that's a road you don't want to travel - trust me!

ben is only 3 1/2 months - I dunno when the puppy licence runs out but I don't think it would be yet?

we are just keeping them appart just now - other dog is on lead if ben is in park

and they are getting the dog neutered

he hasn't been a problem before but he has started chasing kids now too - the owners are really worried but they are good people and are doing all they can to stop that

I was worried today cos at puppy class ben was snappy at a dog who got in his face-but the trainer wasn't bothered and said I should just move him away and not correct it

then out in the park ben had a good play with some other dogs-all happy running about

so I think he will be fine (but I am keeping a much closer eye so I can get him outa there)

thankyou all for advice

Ben's old enough to start losing his puppy license, but certainly not old enough to have that intact male scent that seems to set off some reactive dogs. As for the other dog, along with neutering, they should get him into classes to give them some control and for socialization in a more controlled environment.

The puppy classes Ben is attending are a good idea. I prefer socialization in class or with dogs whose temperament I know very well. Places like dog parks or dog park like situations (where you have off leash dogs you don't know very, very well) aren't good for such a young puppy. The older dogs can sometimes be too rough or too pushy. I made that mistake with Zeb when he was about 5-6 mo and I finally had to stop. It took a couple months to deal with some of the issues it caused.

It sounds like Ben's off to a good start with you. Enjoy him - they grow so quickly!