BC Boards

I Do Believe that Pepper is Going to Be Short Haired!!

She is now 5 mos and has the coat of a lab almost. Does this mean she will be a short coated BC?

Because Poppy is also 5 mos old, but he has his rough coat. and it is just gorgeous!! Sorry had to brag.. But the boy does get more gorgeous everyday!!

Husband jeff, says he will be more happy either way. Though he admits that a short coat is easier to keep clean.

Around that time their fluffy puppy coat gets slicked down under the guard hairs that are growing out. But the guard hairs grow more slowly than your pup at this point, so you'll get that slick look regardless of whether your pup is rough or smooth. The rough coats, however, will still have obvious feathering on the tail and "pants", and behind the ears.

Ann playing with her smooth coated littermate, about the same age as your pup - Ann has her back to the camera:

AnnHacJump27Feb2005.jpg

Just a couple months later:

AnnEarsApr05.jpg

And now:

AnnStandApr2006.jpg

Her coat is quite long, it's just very silky and flat. It will also keep growing - she's still just a baby in collie terms.

I own mostly smooths. Pepper is definately not going to be smooth. She wouldn't have all the fluff on the ears if she were smooth. The actual amount of coat a rough coat will have can vary quite a bit though. The heaviest coated dog I have is Duncan. He has an extremely thick coat and has long feathering on both the front and back legs (gives him a bit of a Clydesdale look). I have pictures of him at 4-5 months though with very little length of coat --except for that fluff around the ears. Regardless, she's a cute pup!

Renee

Yeah it's hard for me to tell. What with Poppy's really wavy thick coat. She is still a pretty little thing either way and she loves her Daddy so much! She's a good girl. I'm glad we ended up with her. She has been good for my husband- especially his blood pressure. It can get high from dialysis. But she seems to help lower it. (Must be from all that cuddlling). :rolleyes:

Reign is a smooth coat. He was always smooth and has a different coat than a rough. Its not just shorter, its coarser. You could tell when he was just 5 weeks old that he was a smooth coat. Here are some pics of him around 4 mos and the last one is 2 years.

Reign4mos.jpgReignJenna.jpgDSC00335-1.JPG

The best time to tell is when they are little pup (3 months or so) and they will usually be either really puffy or slick coated. Like the others said, at about 5 months they are changing coat and will usually look sick coated.

Here is Dazzy at 5 months (ignore the goofy ears! :rolleyes: ):

346%3C%3A%3A684%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3257%3E234%3E5%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A%3C73665%3Anu0mrj

And now.... (well, a while ago, her tail fur and leg feathers are longer now but you get the idea! )

346%3C%3A%3A684%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D3257%3E234%3E5%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32335657774%3A9nu0mrj

Hhhmmm...maybe Poppys coat came in early? He is only 5 mos and already looks to have a full rough coat in.

My border is a rough coat but her coat is fairly short and thin compared to some. Her feathering didn't really start to grow until she was at least 6 months old. I love her coat now though because its super low maintenance and doesn't get matted.

Originally posted by AlbionLass:

Wow Kat! I love that second photo of Dazzy, what a beautiful dog.

Thanks.

Although she doesn't usually look that grown up.

She usually looks way more goofy! I only get that look when I have a frisbee in my hand. :rolleyes:

I took a pic of Meg this morning so you could see how short her coat is. She has a fluffy tail and rear-end feathering, but hardly any on her front legs and hardly any on her chest. She's a medium rough I guess you'd say. But the difference between her coat and my smooth is the texture. Her's is soft although short, his is coarse. His was apparent even as a 5 week old pup.

Meg.JPG

Joan! That's a great picture of Jenna! I e-mailed it to Justin and asked him if he recognized her. Needless to say, he did! :rolleyes:
Jodi, that pic is a bit old now. Here is Jenna yesterday before we went to her 8th grade graduation. Quality isn't the best as it was taken on a cell phone. And of course Jillian just had to take it in front of my dishes!

JennaGrad.jpg