BC Boards

Catching Geese

I'm putting this here because it DOES have to do with the dogs. I could move the rescues a lot faster if I could still do water training here. Right now my friend has the geese and she is two hours away.

The geese are farm geese but semi feral. They are staying on a pond which is very difficult for the dogs to swim, so herding them out of the pond onto ground would be very difficult. We'd need a couple of very determined dogs with lots of staying power. PLUS a good idea for catching them once on land.

Anybody know how to proceed?

Thanks!

I'm putting this here because it DOES have to do with the dogs. I could move the rescues a lot faster if I could still do water training here. Right now my friend has the geese and she is two hours away.

The geese are farm geese but semi feral. They are staying on a pond which is very difficult for the dogs to swim, so herding them out of the pond onto ground would be very difficult. We'd need a couple of very determined dogs with lots of staying power. PLUS a good idea for catching them once on land.

Anybody know how to proceed?

Thanks!

A .22 and a big pot?

Becca

THe old tried and true method of feeding the geese- with no dogs around. Get them comfortable with you, and then put an ex-pen up with a roof for the food to be in. Once they are comfy eating in there, shut the door, and voila- you have your geese. Geese may be smart, but their hunger wins out.

Julie

She's two hours away and doesn't have time to acclimate the geese to her. I might be able to go down and spend a couple days there but I'm sure that's not enough time to get friendly with these guys. She's been feeding them for four weeks and they still keep the pond's length between her and them.

Hey, now that I've got the geese hating thing out of my system, I wonder if it's legal to move them. Don't you have to have some kind of license or permit to be mucking around with geese, especially now as it's coming up/is on goslings and moulting seasons?

I'd hate to see y'all end up in prison van with a bunch of nasty geese. :rolleyes:

I think she said they were farm geese, so I can't imagine a permit would be required, since it sounds like they're hers.

If you have two dogs with you, could someone take one dog out in a rowboat? The goose people in CT seemed to have a dog out in a boat when they were getting them off a pond. Of course, then it would be up to the land dog(s) and I have no suggestions there.

Have her just feed the geese in the x-pen from now on. They WILL go to it- trust me. Have her put a long rope on the door to close it.

Julie

She's two hours away and doesn't have time to acclimate the geese to her. I might be able to go down and spend a couple days there but I'm sure that's not enough time to get friendly with these guys. She's been feeding them for four weeks and they still keep the pond's length between her and them.