BC Boards

Honey warning

Guest pax

I know, we don't give dogs honey, but I never did stop following this melamime thing so when this came through, I thought I'd let y'all know, too. I use honey a lot, but I get it from a friend with hives.

Tainted Honey

melamine in honey now? wth. I dont eat honey, and wouldn't give it to anyone else cause I dont like it. Melamine is used in plastics. A lot of heat resistant plastics and is toxic and shouldn't be in food at all. Last I read about it was that morons were using it to up the protien levels of certain products. I dont' see why it would be in honey. why would anyone raise the protien lvls of honey? it honey seen as a good source of protien?

melamine in honey now? wth. this melamine is in highly distriubted honey that you dont get locally of course. Melamine is used in plastics. A lot of heat resistant plastics and is toxis and shouldn't be in food at all. Last I read about it was that morons were using it to up the protien levels of certain products. I dont' see why it would be in honey.

No no, I'm sorry. It's not melamine. It's an antibiotic. Chloramphenicol. I have only ever used it as an eye ointment, but it comes in other forms too, apparently. Also found in products coming from China.

It can cause anemia in people.

I just meant, I was following the FDA/melamine thing, and I was signed up for news of other recalls because I didn't want to miss out and accidentally poison somebody, so when this one came through I thought I would share it with y'all.

I don't buy honey often, but when I do, it's from a local source. At this rate, I'm leery of anything consumable with a "made in china" label, although that wasn't the case with the tainted pet food or the toothpaste.

I do give my dogs honey on their food occasionally.

but I get it from a friend with hives.

Oh, and tell your friend with hives to try benedryl. Hope he gets better soon. :rolleyes:

I use honey a lot, but I get it from a friend with hives.

[contemplates joking about "friend with hives" :rolleyes: ] I am addicted to tea [just brewed another pot] and even more addicted to honey in my tea. Orange honey, yum. I get honey at the market or at the weekly farmer's market. It's local either way.

I wonder how levels of antibiotics in Chinese food imports compare to, say, levels of antibiotics in factory-farmed American pork, chicken, beef... Quickie Google search: Link 1.

From Link 2:

Antibiotics and Public Health

Overuse of antibiotics in animals is causing more strains of drug-resistant bacteria, which is affecting the treatment of various life-threatening diseases in humans. The Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences has estimated the annual cost of treating antibiotic-resistant infections in the U.S. at $30 billion.

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, "Antimicrobial Fact Sheet", May 4, 1999

Fifty million pounds of antibiotics are produced in the U.S. each year. Twenty million pounds are given to animals, of which 80% (16 million pounds) is used on livestock merely to promote more rapid growth. The remaining 20% is used to help control the multitude of diseases that occur under such tightly confined conditions, including anemia, influenza, intestinal diseases, mastitis, metritis, orthostasis, and pneumonia.

American Medical News, "FDA Pledges to Fight Overuse of Antibiotics in Animals", February 15, 1999

Old stats --- have things changed much?

The chloramphenicol is probably being used to control mites or some other disease of bees. Find a local source of honey and ask what they use in the hives. Some are trying to breed better, more resistant bees and aren't using any chemicals in their hives. That's who I'd buy from. Of course, I don't have to buy it because my "honey" is a beekeeper! (nothing but natural honey and bees). :rolleyes:

J.