BC Boards

what kind of fence have you found to work best?

Guest LJS1993
So, we are planning on our fence. Our puppy is going to be quite the escape artist. I'm just wondering if you guys have some fence ideas that work well/ some to avoid. She loves to dig and has been trying to dig a hole under her kennel.

When my Grandpa and I made Shadows corral we made sure at least one foot of fencing was below the ground line. So basically we made a narrow trench about one foot deep, laid the fencing in that trench, then filled that trench with rocks, gravel, bricks, a little cement, and other items which would make digging a major chore. It worked beautifully along with giving Shadow designated places where digging and burrowing were okay. :rolleyes:

Can't dig out of an electric fence. If your dog really tries to escape all the time, you can use a physical fence AND an electric fence. Trained correctly, it will keep your dog off your fence but the physical fence will give you piece of mind and keep others OUT.

Our two were the best "landscape artists" I've ever seen. They dug this one trench that was deep enough for my husband to be visible from the waist up! They dug under and around chicken wire, cement blocks, wood slats, anything we put there to fill in the holes and try to keep them inside the fence. We finally gave up and had the Invisible Fence installed. We worked with their trainer and continued training and they haven't been found roaming the streets since!

Even though the Invisible Fence is in the front yard, we don't put their collars on out there because they can run too fast through the "zone" and then should they lollygag on their way back and get zapped, they'd just turn around and run. But the Invisible Fence is attached to our 8ft. perimeter fence that is in the back of our house. With the doggie doors we have on the house and the patio, they have the run of the place when we aren't home but they are there when we do get back which was always a concern with our diggers.

Now that they are older we don't usually put the batteries in the collars and they are still home safe and sound.

Good luck with your fence hunting.

There is no fence that will keep a determined BC in.

But if you want to try, I would suggest at least 6ft high, with an 2ft angled over hang (pointing back into the yard) and 2ft of chicken wire stapled to bottom and buried into the yard to prevent the dreaded digging escape.

Keep in mind, I tried all this with my former BC and he just ate through the fence :rolleyes:

MHO

Craig & Mya

Can't dig out of an electric fence. If your dog really tries to escape all the time, you can use a physical fence AND an electric fence. Trained correctly, it will keep your dog off your fence but the physical fence will give you piece of mind and keep others OUT.

Never thought I would do any fence, former dogs I had (until I left )was on a farm, they hunted the fields and came back.

Then I moved into the "city' first a 1/4 acre lot then an acre lot where I am now. My collie/shep learned to adjust without a fence she was older and mellowed.

Then came the BC puppy so last July my birthday present to me was our first invisible fence!

We had issues with the installer, and had the intensity turned up this winter when Tucker grew up and broke through, but IT Works! he will not break it now, and after reading alot of stuff on how good BC's are at escaping it is the best investment we could have made. Now we play in the yard, and never have to worry. He gets excerise we get peace of mind! :rolleyes:

Mine must really like their home! I have a 4 1/2 tall field fencing up and two chain link gates. The fence connects, or I should say ends at two corners of the house. We used the typical metal field fence poles. There is nothing that attaches the fence to the house. If they wanted, just leaning on the fence would give sufficient room to wiggle through! But, I guess since all the dogs have been completely trained not to go out the gate without permission, even with the gate left open and me hauling groceries in and out, I guess that's why. I just have been very lucky.

I have been lucky as well... I don't have any fences and live in quite a busy place but Luke never goes out on his own someone is always with him. but the odd time when he is outside with his dad his dad will forget him (only for a few minutes mind you) but he is always sitting at the door waiting for "dad" to come back out. Ever since he was a pup I told him he was a bad dog if he went beyond the property line and if for some reason I had to go beyond it with him he was alway put in a heel no questions asked. He is now a year old and doesn't consider going beyond that point no matter what goes beyond it... he won't even chase his ball past it, he will stop and wait there while I go and get it and told he is the best dog ever of course! lol The only time a BC is told he is good when he dorsn't fetch hahahahahah

Tara