BC Boards

Looking for a canopy type of thing

I remember seeing it on a catalog long time ago. I couldn't afford it back then so I disregarded it. This tarp looking thing that attaches to the roof of your SUV with strings then extends out like a canopy. Maybe it had a couple of small sticks that hold it somehow. It's portable and doesn't require setting poles up like a regular canopy. It's just enough size to give nice shade to the back of my SUV and let the breeze in. It's also good when it rains. Texas heat is really getting to the dogs at training sites and I'm having to leave a/c on while the dogs are in the vehicle - which isn't too healthy for the people/dogs standing outside.

Has anyone seen such thing? I'm trying to search but I don't know what it is called.

Ok. I got one of the Sport Shades 2 summers ago. I ordered it from Clean Run when they first got it in (don't carry it anymore). I had it attached to the rack on the top of my minivan jutting out the side. A bit of wind gust came up into the open awning direction and the whole thing tried to fly. It was staked down.. but the stake string broke. The string in the recoil mechanism must have snapped as well when it recoiled into itself, but you can't roll it in or out anymore. In fact, I just brought it to the dump last month. I would not recommend this particular design. (ie. http://www.helpingudders.com/SportShade.htm)

I do use regular plain ez-ups and you can use it over your vehicle much like the Clean Run weekender in the link above. And you can also use a regular ez-up open, but with the legs all the way short over your dog's crate or pen when not in the car. Makes for good cover and a roof for the pen. You can get them at sporting goods/camping stores for $100.

Here's an awesome one made by Kelty that REI sells. It's not cheap ($300), but it looks pretty good and attaches to the side of an SUV and makes a huge shaded area. Kelty Carport Deluxe.

We have a side tent that attaches to our van (we can leave it up and drive away from it, all four sides of the tent can be extended for extra shade or it can be used as a tent (we have a floor we stake out), or we can zip in the sleeping compartment and it can be slept in) and it really increase our living space when we are out hiking, fishing or camping. (The downside of a side tent -- it cost the earth and it weights about 400 lbs.) :rolleyes:

They are supposed to work on all type of surfaces. My neighbor bought one of the "off the back" type awnings and it did have some difficulty staying up if it wasn't staked out by ropes. It did best when on dirt or some soft surface.

The Kelty canopy I posted about you can find cheaper on Amazon. :rolleyes: