BC Boards

Flying with dogs

Hope this is ok to post, happy to remove if not.

I was browsing craigslist pets section, and came across an ad for this company:

Dog Travel and Adventure co.

They have a (currently very limited) set of flights and vacation packages, but the dogs are all allowed in the cabin. I don't know anything about it beyond what's on the webpage, but I thought people travelling long distances for vacation/trials/adoptions (Melanie) might be interested. I'm rather tempted, though they don't fly into my local airports yet.

During flights, only if necessary and the pilot has turned off the seatbelt sign, dogs may visit the dog restroom area in the back of the plane.

I am SO having trouble picturing this "dog restroom area." :rolleyes:

That's kind of a cool idea if they work it right. One of the problems I see is if some dogs don't get along. That could be a big problem when people take dogs on there that don't take the time to make sure their used to other dogs. That wouldn't be fun, a dog fight at 30,000 feet :rolleyes: But I will say if I fly that would be the way to go. With the room those new air buses have they could have a whole dog park in there. That would be awesome.

Sluj, that's so cool!! Where did you find that? Black Jack would love it. That way the weeds wouldn't poke him when he tries to go pee :D

Sluj, that's so cool!! Where did you find that? Black Jack would love it. That way the weeds wouldn't poke him when he tries to go pee :rolleyes:

If you do a search on "indoor dog potty", you'll get lots of results. They seem to be targeted at people living in highrises, though I could see how they would be useful elsewhere. Personally I use (or rather, Allie uses) mulch outdoors, which is rather cheaper. I wonder how hard it would be to convince dogs (or more likely, bitches) to go on an unfamiliar surface.

It sounds like the dogs would be confined to their seats most of the time, but yeah, there could be snarkiness as they pass each other. they do mention health requirements, but I wonder if they'll have any sort of neuter or out-of-season requirements.

What would be great is if they had some of those really nice crates built into the seats. Like window, seat, crate, seat. Or something like that. That way they would be with you but not able to snap or cause a fight with other dogs.

I would say there would have to be a spay/neuter rule if they weren't somehow attached to the seat. That could get ugly.

What would be great is if they had some of those really nice crates built into the seats. Like window, seat, crate, seat. Or something like that. That way they would be with you but not able to snap or cause a fight with other dogs.

I would say there would have to be a spay/neuter rule if they weren't somehow attached to the seat. That could get ugly.

Yeah I agree. And it would make sense that they were allowed in the cab in some sort of secure crate or something. I would like to go on a vacation like those they describe with Lance someday. When I have money :rolleyes:

I just subscribed to the newsletter. THink of it, we could have the 2008 NC BC picnic on a cruise of the Caribbean!

And I'd love to fly 1st class. But I have to win the lottery first - and I don't play.