BC Boards

BC entertainment when it is 50 below

It is impossible to tire out my BC with physical exercise. This is what I would like my BC to do so that it won't drive me crazy when it is 50 below with wind chills -

I have a screen saver that shows pictures of various animals for an hour. Different pictures of various animals pop up every 6 seconds. At a random time, my BC's own picture pops up on the computer screen. I would like my BC to keep watching the screen saver. His job will be to alert me the instant his own picture pops up on the screen. I think this "job" will mentally tire him out and hence peace will reign.

Now how can I train my Border Collie to play this game?

Just curious how you came up with this idea. Not sure that it would be something a dog would do or find rewarding. How old is your BC? How long have you had him? What activities (physical and mental) do you typically engage in with him in an attempt to tire him out?

This is my first border collie but seventh dog. He is a rescue - given away because he drove his owners crazy. Not sure how old he is. Maybe three years old. Typically I work him two hours a day vigorously, one in the morning and one in the evening every day. Like either running with my bike, playing fetch, swimming, chasing deer, playing with kids, playing with neighbors (one takes him jogging every day), playing with other dogs, etc.

As to the dog not finding the screen saver activity rewarding, hearing service dogs do alert on sound. That's what gave me the idea since BC's are visual dogs.

All these activities are fine except "chasing deer" - I would not allow any of my dogs to do that, period. These activities are all physical but don't sound like they involved much mental stimulation. Oftentimes mental "games" can be more tiring for a Border Collie than physical activity (which they also require).

I don't see anything wrong with your screensaver game if you'd like to try it. I would be concerned that your dog might become obsessive about the computer screen (and/or TV screen). Sit with your dog and endeavor to get him to watch the screen first, by using a bridge word and rewarding (treat and/or praise) when he watches the screen. Fade out rewards for attention and instead use your bridge word (like the clicker, "yes!", whatever) when his picture comes on the screen so that he associates the picture with something positive that doesn't happen for any other picture. Then reward his reacting to that picture by alerting (whatever you choose for an alert). Initially, when the picture comes up, you may need to cue the alert, whether it's a bark (not a good idea) or a posture or an action.

It might be a lot more fun to teach him the shell game (which shell, cup, etc., is the treat under) that you can do interactively with him. Somehow, teaching a dog to watch a screen seems kind of strange to me, but probably harmless?

All these activities are fine except "chasing deer" - I would not allow any of my dogs to do that, period.

It might be a lot more fun to teach him the shell game (which shell, cup, etc., is the treat under) that you can do interactively with him.

Thanks - will make sure the dog does not chase deer again. With the shell game, I will have to be actively involved. With the screen saver, I can leave the dog in front of the computer and get an hour to do whatever I want.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!!

Border Collies are action motivated. I will be surprised if you can get him to watch the screen that long when you are there. I would be shocked if you could do it with you not envolved. Where would the reward be? If you want an hour to do your own thing, I would suggest either crate time, or for some mental stimulation, a treat giving puzzle ball. Or a Kong filled with peanut butter or some frozen gooey, yummy stuff. Besides, Border Collies are too smart to leave them alone with a puter! LOL Good luck!

If you want an hour to do your own thing, I would suggest either crate time, or for some mental stimulation, a treat giving puzzle ball. Or a Kong filled with peanut butter or some frozen gooey, yummy stuff.

Crate him? I wish! That's impossible. He barks the whole place down and it's impossible to stop getting him to bark until he is let out. Is there a way to stop the barking when he is crated?

Tape his mouth closed? Okay JUST KIDDING!!!! If he is food motivated and you are inclined to treat train, I would put him in the crate. Stay right there, and as soon as there is a break in the howling, IMMEDIATELY let him out, and give him a treat. Do that a few times, then increase the time between quiet and treat. It is a long process. It won't be easy. I don't use crates at all so I probly don't know what the hell I am talking about. But it sounds good, huh? LOL Hopefully some crate users will chime in.

Thanks - will make sure the dog does not chase deer again. With the shell game, I will have to be actively involved. With the screen saver, I can leave the dog in front of the computer and get an hour to do whatever I want.

How long have you had him and what is his name? Sorry if I missed that info.

As much as physical exercise and mental stimulation, you want your BC to have an "off switch." Quinn is my first BC and I had him from a puppy, so probably it was easier for me to install the off switch than with a mature dog (I decided some assembly is required for that particular trait :rolleyes: ). It sounds like your dog is getting plenty of exercise but needs to learn how to relax and take it easy. If he is still new to your household, he could still be in an adjustment period, feeling nervous and unsettled and will need your help learning how to chill. Have you taken him to obedience classes? Training a dog to follow basic commands, especially around distractions, exercises his mind AND helps build a bond.

What you don't want is for your dog to need constant exercise and entertainment. Some people run and run and run their dogs trying to wear them out and end up with dogs who are conditioned to need lots and lots and lots of exercise. It becomes a vicious cycle. Are there any training facilities or clubs near where you live? You might want to work with someone for a while for guidance and feedback. As you've discovered, you're dealing with an entirely different kind of dog than you're used to. I really think training is a very important step to bonding. The more bonded your dog is with you, the more secure he'll feel and that should make learning to relax easier.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
My advice: take a clicker class. Nothing wears my dogs out mentally better than a free shaping session. I usually do two a day in the wintertime when they get cabin fever.

OH!! Good idea! I will do that this winter :rolleyes: I'm going to search on here for info :D

What exactly is a "free shaping session?"

I have had this dog for 4 months - to answer someone's question.

Someone mentioned an "off switch" - how can I put an off switch on my dog? He seems always on and it would be absolutely great to have an off switch!!

PatW - How a bit a little more info on the dog? Age, breeding background (if known - working, conformation, performance, etc.), and such. Maybe also a bit of background on what you have done to try to crate train, which didn't work for you.

ok I put my suggestion under the other post...

Things to do...

Google "Belgian games"- first thing that comes up may give you some ideas

There are also other ideas on tricks etc that those here have contributed- search (unless anyone

has links at hand).