BC Boards

reverse sneezing

For the past few days, Craig has been having intense, long-lasting bouts of reverse sneezing. At least I think it's reverse sneezing. He has these sharp intakes of breath and wheezes for like half an hour at a time throughout the night. He sounds miserable. It's much worse at night. Could this be allergy-related? The airborne allergens are bad here right now. Or, doG forbid, related to the gazillion foxtails everywhere? Could it be serious? I've only seen my other dogs reverse sneeze for like a minute or two at a time--Craig's attacks last a long time. Sophie gets really upset about it and has been waking me up with her whining and pawing at me. To be honest, her alerting is half of what is scaring me. In addition, he recently experienced his first seizure since he came to live with me about six weeks ago (he is epileptic, but seizes rarely). The seizure happened last weekend, right after he finished working on a fairly hot morning. We chalked that up to the stress of the big life change we're all experiencing since he's come to live with us, including his switch to a raw diet, as well as the heat. Though that was scary, he's been fine since then.

Does anyone think a visit to the vet is merited?

Usually these things are episodic, and go away, and don't continue. I would think a vet visit, if he is not better by tomorrow, is in order. Allergies can also effect. When my boxer has this, I press down right at his stop, and hold his chin with my thumb- and this can stop it. Sometimes they just need to stop the cycle.

For the past few days, Craig has been having intense, long-lasting bouts of reverse sneezing. At least I think it's reverse sneezing. He has these sharp intakes of breath and wheezes for like half an hour at a time throughout the night. He sounds miserable. It's much worse at night. Could this be allergy-related? The airborne allergens are bad here right now. Or, doG forbid, related to the gazillion foxtails everywhere? Could it be serious? I've only seen my dogs reverse sneeze for like a minute or two at a time--Craig's attacks last a long time. Sophie gets really upset about it and has been waking me up with her whining and pawing at me. To be honest, her alerting is half of what is scaring me. In addition, he recently experienced his first seizure since he came to live with me about six weeks ago (he is epileptic, but seizes rarely). The seizure happened last weekend, right after he finished working on a fairly hot morning. We chalked that up to the stress of the big life change we're all experiencing since he's come to live with us, including his switch to a raw diet, as well as the heat. Though that was scary, he's been fine since then.

Does anyone think a visit to the vet is merited?

Nasal mites can cause reverse sneezing. My cocker was given a shot for nasal mites and she never reversed sneezed again. I remember my vet mentioning that the shot (I can't remember what it was) is not safe for some herding breeds. Since Tatum was a purebred spaniel, the herding breeds the vet mentioned did not stick in my mind.

Meg reverse sneezed regularly for the first two years we had her. One day we were at the vet's for something else. We were seeing our regular vet's partner when she began an episode. He asked if she did it often, and we said, "All the time!" He had just studied reverse sneezing as often being caused by nose mites. He put her on a course of Interceptor, and she hasn't reverse sneezed since. Interceptor is the drug of choice for breeds who don't tolerate Ivermectin.

He also gave us an information sheet on the problem and I'm sorry we can't post a link, as it was from a member page of a veterinary site - the printout was "Nasal Acariasis" by Linda Shell, DVM.DACVIM.

Apparently, nasal mites can also cause regular sneezing, nasal discharge and other things.

When we told our regular vet about the appointment, we could tell he was skeptical, though he didn't want to contradict his partner in front of us...

These replies are very helpful--keep 'em coming!

Julie, it didn't even occur to me to try to stop them myself. I will see if this acupressure technique you're describing has any effect. Thanks!

Donna, I wonder where he'd pick up kennel cough? Do you know where Riven picked it up? Does KC typically run its course if contracted, or are antibiotics always needed?

As for asthma, it's probably possible for dogs to have asthma, but I am sure his former owner would have told me if he did. She's had a bunch of vet medicine training, and I am trying my hardest to not keep running to her with every little health crisis I seem to keep having with Craig (I'm having an incredible run of oddball medical luck lately, but fortunately everything's been minor so far!). I am assuming that he wouldn't just develop asthma overnight, so I think I can rule this one out.

As to the nose mites, I just gave Craig a dose of Interceptor last weekend! So unless they are expelling themselves out of his system once and for all, I think that isn't it.

I'm leaning more toward allergies right now. Mostly because I don't know what else it could be. We did go for a hike on a trail full of vegetation in various stages of bloom last night. A lot of very tall weeds and cottonwood fluff. So I'm hoping that's it. I guess if he has another rough night tonight, I'll swing by the vet.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!

I wonder about the foxtails too. How would you know if one gets up their nose or in their ear where you can't see it? Could he have inhaled a bug or something else? It's been so buggy here that I was walking down to the sheep and one got in my eye. A couple times I've snorted one too.

Kristen

When Sage had kennel cough she sounded like that. But it could be something like a fox tail caught somewhere too. I would call the vet if it lasts to long.

I used to see a wire-haired Fox Terrier who did this frequently, especially when excited. Her vet had diagnosed it as a "collapsing trachea". She was fine and healthy otherwise but, when this would occur, it would look and sound worse than it was.

I would definitely check with the vet about this, and discuss all these reasonable possibilities.

Best wishes!