BC Boards

It's Prey Drive! (Rant)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebecca writes:

I should also mention that I've had a variety of mixed breeds that there's no way that they had a drop of Border Collie blood in them, that exhibited things like eye, stalking, etc. Bully breeds (as Luisa points out) are particularly known for their own brands of OCD behavior, as do some spaniels and other bird dogs, so Border Collies don't have the corner on that market, either.
Amen.

My drive-y pit bulls crouch, circle and stalk with the best of them. Style to burn :cool:

This is is X-Girl, a Seattle shelter rescue currently in training as an explosives detection dog with the Washington State Patrol. In these screen caps she is backing away from her tennis ball:

x-girlwithball2.jpg

x-girl2.jpg

x-girl32.jpg

See the LawDogs site for more about X-Dog and the Washington State Patrol pit bulls.

More drive: Wallace the Pit Bull (champion disc dog video).

X-Girl asleep with the Object of Devotion :rolleyes:

site5.jpg

Anna mentioned the importance of partnership...

Here [posted for the second or third time, because I love it] is one of my favorite descriptions of a dog at work --- of sheepdog genetics at work. No one can "train" a dog to do what Nell does in this passage.

Nell was suckling two-week-old pups and had been left home on a day when the shepherd and his helpers were struggling to move an unruly mob of lambs. From Tim Longton's The Sheepdog, Its Work and Training:

?[Nell]heard us trying to drive this lot along a rough bank where felled woodland and a landslide added to the hazards. I could hear her crying to be let out; a few minutes later she appeared, having gained the window. Two young lambs dashed uphill. Nell set off after them. She was fighting a losing battle, as the lambs split, and as soon as she had one on its way the other galloped madly in the other direction. I did not command her but, appreciating the position, Nell pushed one lamb in front of her and nosed it right in among the rest of the lambs. Then she returned for the other, which by now had escaped into a 200-acre field with 400 sheep in it. We continued our slow journey, and when we reached the far end there was Nell with a lamb pinned at the back of a gate. It was the lamb we wanted.?
Nell was English Shepherd?s Champion in 1951. "It cannot be stressed too strongly," writes Longton, "that if you want a work dog both parents should be work dogs."