BC Boards

A funny raw shopping story

I was at the store today checking out the meat department for any bargains when I saw something I don't normally see there: chicken feet. That in itself wouldn't be funny, but the label on the package said "chicken paws." I don't often laugh out loud in the grocery store, but that one made me do a double take and sure did bring out a laugh! :rolleyes:

J.

I always like the packages of fish fingers. What fish do you know of that have fingers?

Our "past tense" Winn Dixie used to sell pork fingers. Same problem.

I know there used to be a nontraditional butcher set up at the flea market co-op near Jim thorpe. I'm hoping to get down there to see if they will Hamburger rabbit for me or at least cut it up. I'm sure he probably has other items but, the dressed rabbits were enough to head me on another direction before.lol

The moo tubes and sheep ears are packaged by merrick. Kerry do you have Pets supplies Plus? They had a huge supply even packaged cow snouts.

Packaged cow snout?!? We do have a Pet Supplies Plus but I never noticed those things there - I'll have to give it another looksee.

oh, and Sheryl - I haven't forgotten about you - hopefully this weekend I'll get my act together!

Hey Kerry,

I think this particular store must have had a butcher with a sense of humor (or something worse), since the beef kidneys were labeled as beef tongue. I sure hope people buying meat at that place actually look at what's in the package instead of just going by the label or they could be in for a surprise when they get home! It still strikes me funny that anyone would label the appendages of a chicken as "paws."

Sheryl,

If Lark is any indicator, then yes chicken feet are desirable. While I was at the farm last night she found some feet left over from the last chicken butchering (they had been set in a tree crotch to dry and forgotten, at least till they blew out of the tree and Lark found them--yum!).

Anyway, finding interesting meats/parts really seems to depend on which store and where it's located. In other words, those stores that cater to folks who want the odd parts carry them, and those stores (same chain) in other locations *never* have that "exotic" stuff.

J.

Julie - that is the kind of store I would go to just on principle - I love it when people have a quirky sense of humor! 'Course you need to make sure you are awake when you are shopping or who knows what you might end up with.... :rolleyes: