BC Boards

14 yr old's eating behavior

My 14 yr old collie mix has stopped eating in the mornings. When I switched to a new, healthier canned food she'd eat an entire can at each feeding, which was what I wanted b/c she'd started looking like Skeletor. She gained about five pounds, so she now looks the way she did when we first adopted her.

Recently, however, she's eating way less than normal. In the evenings she'll eat a little bit less than half a can and then in the mornings she won't eat anything. I don't think it's because she doesn't like the food, because she's been eating it for nearly two months now. Before I switched her she was eating Purina Mighty Dog canned dog food (sometimes up to six cans a day), without gaining an ounce. Could it be that she just wants the icky, unhealthy yet tasty stuff? Or is eating less normal for a senior?

I agree w/others about the vet check.

That being said, my 14-1/2 yo Sara goes through various patterns of eating. The last couple of months, she eats @ 1/3 cup of Evo in the a.m. and @ 1 cup in the p.m. Some days she skips breakfast completely. Her weight is stable. My vet says just to let her eat however she wants.

I would also point out that if you are feeding her a "better" food, she will naturally eat substantially less than the Mighty Dog. For example, again using Sara as an example, she eats less than half as much EVO as she did Pro Plan/Authority, etc.

Make sure they run a full bloodwork on her. After I lost an elderly dog suddenly to renal failure, I do these every three months on my senior dog (Maggie, 13 1/2) and every six months on Ben (11 1/2), and next year I'll put Doug the Dog, Cord, and Gus into that category too.

Tooth problems also come to mind, but in my experience, kidney problems and oral problems can be closely linked, so even if you find she has an ouchy mouth, go ahead with the workup.

I'm glad you brought that up, Rebecca. I typed about kidney failure but then deleted it because I hated to jump straight to the most ominous possibility. That's what I lost my 14-year old cocker to and I am currently giving my 14-year old cat subcutaneous fluids everyday and doing the K/D diet. Mao is responding well and feels 100% better. I know it's not reversible but I don't feel as helpless as I did with Chuck.

The blood panel can give the vet a complete look at what's going on.

:rolleyes: That's some scary stuff. Fortunately her check up is soon and if the behavior continues it'll be the first thing I say. I hope its nothing serious, just her settling into a normal routine.

Janie ate her normal amount last night and this morning, however I did come home to a very stinky pile o' diarrhea (sp?) at the spot where she normally sits to let us know she needs to go out. I didn't witness any other occurances today, but just in case I fixed a half cup of rice mixed with a half can of cooked chicken. She ate less than half.

In addition to this, she seems to be getting weaker. Last night she tripped/fell trying to go up the stairs and kocked over a nearby baby gate. We carried her around for the rest of the evening.

She did have a stroke late last year and, honestly, I'm always terrified that its going to happen again at any second. Are there warning signs? Or will she just suddenly go limp? I was living in DC at the time of the first attack, and I only learned of it about a week after it happened so I have no clue what it looked like, what led up to it, nada.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? :rolleyes:

I'd say definitely get her checked out quickly with the vet. _Something_ is wrong. It might just be her age, but it might also be something treatable. Get her to the vet and get yourself some knowledge that can help you both through it--one way or another.

I, too, recommend getting her to the vet asap. It may be something minor but at her age, minor things can become major very quickly. Diagnosing/treating it early may give you more time with her and/or allow you to make her more comfortable.

Just got back from the vets. The first thing he suggested was a blood test (which made me very pleased). He also gave us some pills to ease her upset stomach. Those have always worked in the past. He also gave us some "nutritional supplements" (Flori... something or other). He had commented that he didn't like her weightloss so I think these are to make up for whatever she's not eating.

Thank you all for posting. It's really a comfort to know that I can come here with questions and get such knowlegdeable and reliable answers. :rolleyes: