BC Boards

new additon needs to be PTS

RDM

I agree with you in spirit- for sure. No one can diagnose either over the phone or the internet neither medical nor mental issues in dogs. I gave my opinion based on the dog's history, not having met the dog. Perhaps the dog can be saved, who knows, but since I posted, I have learned that the dog was refused by a rescue and that this latest rehoming appeared to be some sort of last ditch effort on the owner's part to "save the dog". Dog's only know here and now. They don't go to sleep at night telling themselves that "it will all be better tomorrow". I only look at what is right for the dog, and everyone involved. This dog is clearly not happy- not balanced. Moving him around will only serve to screw him up more. If he is to be "saved" then he needs work done by someone with the credentials and/or experience to deal with this for the LONG haul, as in FOREVER. He needs, truly to live with someone like Patricia McConnell. Will any of this happen? No. People who have dogs with "issues" will first try and pass the dog off to some nice person who wants to help- Tortienutmeg in this case, who is over their head, but their heart is in the right place, and when that doesn't work out, they either won't take the dog back, or in this case do, but then find another home, and so it continues. All the while this dog is losing any modicum of stability and reverting to what it knows works- using his teeth to make his needs known. THis is no life for any dog. In a completely pragmatic sense, this dog I believe will not be around much longer- SOMEONE will put him down. It is just a matter of when. IF we can help this owner put this dog somewhere where he can get permanent professional help, this is his one ticket out of that fate. But, all of this is a big if. My statement earlier is based on my experience with aggressive dogs, and what usually happens to them in the end. Just a matter of how many people they bite on the way to that fate. Not a very rosy picture to be sure, but it is a sad reality that people are lazy (owner) and cheap, and want to pass off problems, not fix them.

Julie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pride myself in all of my dogs being safe. From my Borders to my German Shepherds. I do not accept people aggression.

Even in my GSD's they are not allowed to be aggressive. Ready to protect and do their jobs, yes. Aggressive, no!

I also know my limits. I have my whole life been around animals that are able to hurt me. Fortuantly so far I have been wise enough to dodge bullets or blessed. Take your choice.

Having said that, I absolutly hate to see people take on an animal that has serious issues as aggression. Too many folks think that a bit of dicipline, love, or whatever can take care of it. It does not! It takes a HUGE amount of anything. Especially experience. And you are more than welcome to call me a snob! Although everyone has the right to do things, not everyone should. And this is where the common sense comes in.

I have no clue why this dog acts the way he does. But even with all the valid excuses, maybe he is just a weak, nervy, bully kind of dog with a sorry temperament.

Either way, the only person that can make a call on what to do with this kind of dog, with any kind of validity, would have to be someone with tons of experience that got to observe and work with this dog one on one, for an extended period of time.

And because of the liability issues and the fact that there are many safe dogs out there loosing their lives every day I am not sure this will be something possible.

I did have a dog, rehome, that had major issues. I took her, kept her, let her be a dog, and got very lucky as I found a home for her that knows her breed and its peculiarities. If I had not known the new owners for a few years, known their abilities, she would have either stayed here or been PTS. They also knew the dog from before. I will honestly admit that I am very happy to not have her here anymore. Because it took a lot of commitment to keep from putting her in situations that she was not equipped to handle. That was my job. My responsibility. I am not sure I would do it again if I knew about an issue before bringing a new dog here.

Having said that, once they are here, I will be prepared to make the call after careful evaluation. I owe it to the animal.

Just my thoughts.

Which by the way, I am sure that the OP had the best intentions. I do not want to downplay that at all.

I think what strikes a nerve, especially for people who have dogs with issues (myself included) is the seeming ease wtih which the PTS is put on the table as an option. Of course it's an option, and for the dog in particular a viable one given that he's not being given the help that he needs, but it's one that should be explored when all else has failed if he's an OWNED dog. I think owners have that responsibility towards animals they take on. The OP perhaps got blind-sided and perhaps is not best equipped to deal with this dog, but the original owner failed miserably in trying to pass the buck...though it would seem there was some disclosure. The bottom line is that the dog pays, be it in life or in death.

I had the worst falling out, permanent I may add, with a very close friend over the PTS option. As a rescuer she felt the dog of a third person needed to be put to sleep and recommended as much over my recommendation of a professional and medical assessment. I claimed that owners of the dog, who had raised him from puppyhood, should at least get him professionally assessed, she claimed she knew enough and that they had done enough. Enough being putting up with a nip and a snarl. I had met the dog, he was well-trained, extremely social with me and I was a stranger, and dog friendly. I knew this meant nothing as my own problem child can be as loving as the best of them but can still be dangerous. But he also wasn't an out of control aggressive dog that couldn't be controlled. And we had no clue what was causing his outbursts.

What it came down to is that they did not want to have to deal with his issues, they did not want to have to control his environment, they did not want to put in the work, and that's why it's so frustrating when so many people want an easy dog...or as easy fix. I'll go out on a limb and say that many people don't even truly think it out so far as to actually "putting him out of his misery" so much as an easy way out. Personally, to someone who would not at minimum get the dog assessed medically, I would not even consider placing another dog because I find it tantamount to irrisponsibility. Of course these particular people were also to be coddled because of all their pain in coming to this decision..... huh??

My x-friend claimed that I was just reacting emotionally because of my dog who should also be put to sleep...it got rather ugly from there but it's been a sore spot for me since then. I'm not against putting to sleep a dog if it's necessary, but it really should be a last resort and not an easy way out of a problem situation for an owner.

Maria

Sadly, there are some dogs who will necessitate euthanasia. With varying amounts of education, effort, time, and money, others can be rehabbed. The rotten truth is that you simply cannot make people care enough to always do what is right for the dog :rolleyes:, owned or not...

Lucille said: 'HOWEVER, this is America, and the absolute worst thing we can do is tell someone they have no right to an opinion. We ALL have a right to what we think, and thank the Lord here in the US we are generally allowed to speak it.'

:rolleyes: Er no, Lucille - this is a global forum - albeit predominantly american.

And my experience of other predominently american fora has been that certain issues and opinions are definitely NOT permitted. Especially political ones coming from an 'ousider' such as myself. But this is irrelevant to the case here, so I'll shut up now! :D