BC Boards

Doggie sunblock

Maybe this is a better question for the Health forum but here goes,

Loki is pink as a piglet around his eyes, nose and lips. I've never had to worry about keeping a dog in the shade like I do with him.

How badly can he burn? Can I put human sunblock on him? The weather is cool (for now) but the UV is very high.

Tex is sensible and seeks the shade but Lokis got a heap of running and digging and investigating to do. Some days his eye rings look shocking pink after our play time.

I believe there are people who use people sun block. I'd make sure to discuss it with your vet first tho.

Then there are people like this http://www.funstufffordogs.com/Qstore/Qsto...PROD=1080228749 Who not only carry doogie sun block but also sell sun glasses for your dogs. LOL I can picture Tex and Fargo styling in a pair for them fancy sun-glasses.

there was another discussion, later on, after I joined in. Just run a search for sun screen or sun block. Used to put it on Ouzo's nose and right above it when he was a young pup (in April- May :rolleyes: . Hawaiian Tropic 60 SPF and Neutrogena.

For Loki, definetly put some, given his pink nose. Ouzo's nose had some pink strikes in the beginig, by now everything's black.

His pink parts get bright pink if he's been in the water too long - equivalent of human kids turning purple after too much playing in the water

I use sunblock on mine as well. On the black and white dog on her white nose, and on the red dog's nose as well. I have noticed that the red dog's skin turns bright pink when he gets hot while playing. His eyes look really red and his ears turn a bright pink, it's just his skin though, once he cools off it returns back to normal. I put suncreen on just in case and so I know he's protected, then I don't worry when he looks pink, other than cooling him down.

I use sunblock on mine as well. On the black and white dog on her white nose, and on the red dog's nose as well. I have noticed that the red dog's skin turns bright pink when he gets hot while playing. His eyes look really red and his ears turn a bright pink, it's just his skin though, once he cools off it returns back to normal. I put suncreen on just in case and so I know he's protected, then I don't worry when he looks pink, other than cooling him down.