BC Boards

Question

Michelle K

Paula's question about size reminded me of something that I had been wanting to ask. This may be a silly question, but I'm just learning the working side of things. When I took Nykie on her first therapy visit, there was an elderly man that had his "purebred Border Collie" with him. Personally, myself and another girl was looking at the dog and we saw Great Pyrenees in him, because not only was he mostly white, but he had a blocky head and was about 75lbs solid. Anyway, that's beside the point. :rolleyes: The gentleman made a comment to a resident there that got me to thinking. He said that his dog could not work in the fields with sheep, because he was mostly white and the sheep didn't find him threatening enough. I always thought that it depended on the individual dog and how he (using "he" for conversation purposes) not only handles himself, but how he handles the stock that he's working. Have you found that color really makes a difference at all? Just curious. :D Thanks!

Michelle,

My husband, John has a dog (Jaax) that sounds like the one that you're describing. He's probably 70 pounds and mostly white, black ears, lots of black spots, medium coat and he's got dropped ears & a blocky head. He's never had a problem moving sheep, cattle, pigs, whatever.

His sister from a different litter is about 45 pounds, almost all black, dropped ears and rough coat and she's the same way.

They both move like Border Collies when they're on sheep, but if you see them off the farm you would think they were just some mixed breed. Neither one has had any problems moving livestock at our place or anywhere else we've gone.

Laura

Michelle,

My husband, John has a dog (Jaax) that sounds like the one that you're describing. He's probably 70 pounds and mostly white, black ears, lots of black spots, medium coat and he's got dropped ears & a blocky head. He's never had a problem moving sheep, cattle, pigs, whatever.

His sister from a different litter is about 45 pounds, almost all black, dropped ears and rough coat and she's the same way.

They both move like Border Collies when they're on sheep, but if you see them off the farm you would think they were just some mixed breed. Neither one has had any problems moving livestock at our place or anywhere else we've gone.

Laura

This dog may be like Jaax, but he does not have anything about him that says Border Collie. Of course, like mentioned, that's really beside the point whether he's a purebred or not. I think it's more dog related than anything, but I did have one person that was nice enough to PM me and said that color can make a difference.

Well, I was being goofy before because I am not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination..but I think the general school of thought on working Border Collies and looks is, "Handsome is as handsome does."

Well, I was being goofy before because I am not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination..but I think the general school of thought on working Border Collies and looks is, "Handsome is as handsome does."

Oh, I know. :rolleyes: I actually laughed at you and Sharkie, both. I just meant that I did get one response about the question asked. Nothing against you two at all. :D

Hi, Michelle!

I have a white-factored boy. He has more quiet common sense than my B&W girl who has more raw talent than he does. He is completely mellow with the sheep, unless they challenge him. He is not afraid to slowly walk up on them, nose to nose, and give a quick grip for respect. From then on, it's "Yes, sir, Mr. Border Collie, sir. What was I thinking? Of COURSE you know better than I do. I'm just a silly little ewe!" He also has 1 blue eye. I heard that dogs with different coloured eyes "mesmerize" the sheep...

Liz, Iago, Dryden & Haley

There is an old belief/prejudice (choose one) that white dogs are not powerful enough to gain the respect of sheep. (There does not seem to be the same belief/prejudice regarding cattle dogs.) I haven't noticed this to be true. In fact, I would say categorically that it's not true as regards sheep that have had experience with white dogs, so it shouldn't show up as a problem when a dog is working on his own farm. It may be a consideration in trialing -- because white dogs are relatively uncommon, the sheep being used for the trial may never have seen one before, and being curious animals, may not move away from the dog as quickly initially as they would for a black dog. Once the dog approaches them with confidence, though, they seem to move the same for him as for a black dog.

Here is an article you might find interesting.

I think it has a lot to do with what the sheep are used to - if they haven't seen a white dog then they may not consider it threatening enough. However, there are enough good, powerful white factored dogs that can move livestock and if the sheep get used to being gathered and moved by a white dog then they will have more respect for that dog, and therefore white dogs in general.