BC Boards

Ahhh, the joys of a tired puppy!

Good for you! A tired puppy is a quiet puppy! Enlist the help of your boys to throw balls and toys and just play like boys do! You will be much happier with Bindi when she is getting plenty of exercise. You know, it works for boys too.......a tired boy is a quiet boy! There's nothing like the peace that descends over a house when your boys are konked out in their beds!

I like that - a tired boy is a quiet boy! I feel like my house is never quiet. That would be heaven. :rolleyes:

My oldest was with us in the backyard tonight. We had Bindi on a long lead and she chased the ball, ran around sniffing everything, ran around for no reason, etc. Then he helped me work on her recall. She is so in tune to treats that it doesn't take anything to get her to come back. The trick is her coming back when I don't have treats and she's not on a line. Soon enough...

Mary

All in good time! Get a soccer ball or some kind of durable ball that the boys can kick and Bindi can bite or carry. Jack also likes the doggie frisbees made with rope; they are easy to throw and he can run all over the yard with them. Sometimes they don't last long but I can find them at the dollar store easily so I just keep a few on hand.

My boys are teenagers and I miss the noise when they aren't around! Never thought I would say that, but it's just too quiet when they are gone. Of course, the droning of the washer and dryer keep me company as I wash piles of dirty jeans and baseball uniforms!

There's a new ball from Jolly ball that has another smaller ball inside a bigger ball, so when you roll it it keeps rolling. I haven't gotten it yet but I think it would be great. They make the Jolly balls for horses to play with, but they just started making balls for dogs.

There's a new ball from Jolly ball that has another smaller ball inside a bigger ball, so when you roll it it keeps rolling. I haven't gotten it yet but I think it would be great.

That is one of Hoku's favorite toys, a BIG hit!

I agree that "A Tired Pup is a Quiet Pup". The one problem I seem to have is tiring my pup out. :rolleyes: He keeps going and going and going....I'd bet my life that he's related to the energizer bunny. Then again, I've yet to meet a BC pup on whom I wouldn't bet the same thing....

I agree that "A Tired Pup is a Quiet Pup". The one problem I seem to have is tiring my pup out. :rolleyes: He keeps going and going and going....I'd bet my life that he's related to the energizer bunny. Then again, I've yet to meet a BC pup on whom I wouldn't bet the same thing....

My thoughts exactly! it seems the more my little girl plays and runs, the more excited and bratty she gets...strange, but she actually acts calmer if I don't let her run around much.

There's a new ball from Jolly ball that has another smaller ball inside a bigger ball, so when you roll it it keeps rolling. I haven't gotten it yet but I think it would be great. They make the Jolly balls for horses to play with, but they just started making balls for dogs.

I saw that at Petco the other day. I didn't get it but thought it looked fun.

Mary

...then we came home and played and trained for a long time in the backyard...

This, I think, is the key. Physical activity is needed but mental activity is what really tires them out. Not to mention that the training will contribute to a polite, well-behaved dog that will be a pleasure to be around. This is also something that's excellent for the kids to work on with her.

Training sessions accomplish the most if they are not too long. We are talking a youngster here and the attention span may be quite limited. Multiple sessions throughout the day (or as your schedule allows) are better than one longer session but whatever you can do is what you can do. Look for opportunities to "mini-train" - like when you are working in the kitchen, hanging laundry, etc. Every time you are with your dog is an opportunity to train something - sitting, downing, staying, being polite, etc. Actually, you are always training, even when you think you are not, if you get my drift.

Best wishes!