BC Boards

Pet Food Recall: FDA Test Results

FDA Testing Reveals Chemical in Pet Food

WASHINGTON Mar 30, 2007 (AP)— Recalled pet foods contained a chemical used to make plastics, but government tests failed to confirm the presence of rat poison, federal officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, sometimes used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.

New York remained confident in its aminopterin finding, said Patrick Hooker, commissioner of the New York state Department of Agriculture and Markets. Hooker added that neither aminopterin nor melamine should be in pet food, but that it was unclear why the latter substance would be poisonous to the cats in which it was found.

"While we have no doubt that melamine is present in the recalled pet food, there is not enough known data on the mammalian toxicity levels of melamine to conclude it could cause illness and deaths in cats. With little existing data, many questions still remain as to the connection between the illnesses and what has caused them," Hooker said.

The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said. There is no risk to human food, he told reporters.

FDA Testing Reveals Chemical in Pet Food

WASHINGTON Mar 30, 2007 (AP)—The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said. There is no risk to human food, he told reporters.

Guess that means I need to check the cats' dry food to see if wheat gluten is in their dry food - eps. since I was just getting ready to buy a new bag! The dogs eat EVO so hopefully that's safe.

Oh thank God hubby is willing to go to raw. They're both almost out of food so hopefully by next week, we'll be set...

I dont know that I trust the comment "While we have no doubt that melamine is present in the recalled pet food, there is not enough known data on the mammalian toxicity levels of melamine to conclude it could cause illness and deaths in cats. With little existing data, many questions still remain as to the connection between the illnesses and what has caused them," Hooker said. "... Well obviously there IS enough to make them sick, hundreds of animals dont just die if it isnt enough.... what the hell is he talking about.... It just makes me so flippin mad that number one they know so little about the pet food industry, but number 2 that Menu Foods is gonna get away with this, and the FDA still obviously has no freakin clue.

Oh thank God hubby is willing to go to raw. They're both almost out of food so hopefully by next week, we'll be set...

Just a thought - if you're ready to start raw feeding, make the switch sooner rather than later. If you can't bear to throw the leftover dried/canned food away, you can always give it to a rescue shelter. Good luck with the change to raw, sure your doggies will be thrilled to bits. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone knows for certain, yet, what excatly is causing the death/illness in all these pets. What they know is what the tests have shown.

Cornell/NY Dept of Ag found aminopterin in the urine of sick cats, in the kidney of one cat that died, and in food samples from Menu Foods.

FDA & Cornell/NY Dept of Ag found melamine in cat food, the wheat gluten used to make the cat food, urine of sick cats, and the kidney of one cat that died.

Mark

The recall expanded Friday to include the first dry pet food

Meanwhile, Hill's Pet Nutrition recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food. The food included wheat gluten from the same supplier that Menu Foods used. The recall didn't involve any other Prescription Diet or Science Diet products, said the company, a division of Colgate-Palmolive Co.

Holy crap...this is a quote "Meanwhile, Hill’s Pet Nutrition recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food." --- We feed Rohan prescription food from Science Diet!!!!!! Dam them... Hubby says to put Rohan on a raw diet ASAP. So can someone quickly suggest what I can feed him other than tuna lol....that I can buy tonight. We dont get paid till Thursday, so it cant be anything too expensive...

I'd heard that there was a dry food involved. So Hill's is now affected by the recall too. Sheesh.

Smiley, you can start him on raw minced chicken or turkey. You should be able to pick up plenty for him for a week for a couple dollars. And then start adding variety in as soon as he's used to eating raw.

Normally I would say to buy the Evo cat formula, it's very similar to m/d but much better quality. However, after finding out that canned Evo is made at a Menu Foods plant I am losing my faith in the company :rolleyes: