BC Boards

food recommendation?

laceyjess

My puppy Twobit never really liked her food. We have eliminated a lot of the table scraps that we fed her and now she eats more of her food but I do not think she likes it.

We feed her Science Diet because we read that non-working BC's need less protien in their food.

We feed her half canned-half dry food, puppy formula.

Does anyone have any sugestions for the "cheaper" stuff, like Iams, Purina One, etc? Or do we need to stick to the expensive stuff?

twobit_6mo.jpg

Nix the Science Diet, Purina & Iams.

Check out some of the past threads on food discussions. This has always been a popular topic with a lot of experiences shared and good advice given.

If cost is a concernt, n my opinion, you can get the most bang for your buck and be feeding a better food if you look into some of the feeds that Diamond makes---their "Chicken Soup" food I think is an excellent food.

Blackwood makes quality kibble that won't take you to the bank (you can still pay high bucks for some of the kibble you mentioned and many don't even consider it quality). Blackwood delivers to your door free of charge. There should be a link to Blackwood if you look up any of the times that food has been a topic.

There are other good feeds as well. Just stay off the supermarket shelves and don't buy into the hype you see on the media.

Vicki

Thanks sea4th. I have tried to read up on what is in dog foods that is bad (and notices those ingredients on the Sci Diet) and what is good to look for...

I do not understand how popular dog food can be so bad! Its like the companies do not care...

I will search for the other threads...

Yes Racey, I have started to notice that.

A good friend recommends Wysong and Innova which are sold locally and are hollistic. I have seen her dogs and they are beautiful, perfect coats and so healthy. She also does raw food too, in the afternoon (kibble in the morning).

Those brands are same price as science diet. Compairing the labels...I am wondering what the hell made me choose science diet? Its so bad!

We feed Piper Nutro Lamb & Rice and so does the rest of the SAR dog team here (Piper is a SAR dog). So it helps that all the dogs eat the same thing.

I went through it all when Piper was a puppy, she started with Iams puppy food-lamb & rice, then Purina, then Pedigree, then back to Iams...and the bottom line is that Piper doesn't eat much so wanted a good dry food and found Nutro which our SAR dog team captain recommended and Piper likes it. As for costs, well I live in Alaska, so EVERYTHING is expensive and I figure hey, I like to eat good so, so should Piper.

This is a very popular topic, it comes up every couple months.

Lucy eats Kirkland (Diamond sold under Costco brand name) Lamb Meal and Rice. It's $17.99/40lb. She's fit and healthy. I was turned on to it by a long time Labrador breeder on one of my Lab boards (Lucy's "brother" is a Labrador Retriever).

If you're a Costco member, it might be worth checking out.

Here's a link to the Diamond website:

http://www.diamondpetfood.com/Ingredients.html

One thought on protein content:

I was told that it is perhaps better to feed a lower protein food (e.g. chicken and rice as opposed to lamb and rice) so that you have something to go to should you require MORE protein.

I don't know if there is any merit to this but it seemed to come from someone who is otherwise knowledgeable.