BC Boards

Sam Training and Walking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDlpaEs2Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzFp2YXftw

The above links are to three videos, one of Sam training, and two of Sam out on a walk with me.

Sam is 15 weeks old, and I understand some of your concerns regarding my over-exercising Sam, however hopefully from the videos above you will see how relaxed our walks are, as it is mostly hilly and I have only two legs compared to Sams 4!

I have the upmost respect and love for Sam and I wouldn’t intentionally want to cause him any harm or long-term illness. I come onto these forums like many others to learn and who knows I may be able to share a little that I have learnt in my time.

However, not everybody has a degree in Animal Anatomy and therefore some are ‘uneducated’ in the damage that over-exercising can cause a young pup. This ‘uneducated’ person isn’t a person who doesn’t ‘care’, but somebody who needs to and wants to learn to enable him to provide the best upbringing for his pup.

I have not approached a vet regarding the cycling issue, however I have decided to air on the side of caution for the time being and to wait until Sam is a little older before I continue.

However, I am continuing to walk Sam as I have done previously as most of the time he is walking a few yards in front and then stopping to wait for me, or he is exploring in bushes and having a sniff about. Furthermore, one of Sams favourite locations is a dirt field approximately 40 minutes walk that he thoroughly enjoys, you may be able to see him digging and running around chasing his tail in the field in the third video.

For some reason, as soon as Sam enters this field, he becomes hyper energetic and its nice to see him enjoying himself.

Edit – Can’t seem to upload the third video for some reason…will keep on trying....

What lovely scenery and such a nice place for a walk with a good dog!

It is amazing to see how fast they grow - my pup was just ten weeks old yesterday, and Sam at 15 weeks is looking more and more like a young dog while my Dan is still obviously a pup.

Sam is 15 weeks old, and I understand some of your concerns regarding my over-exercising Sam, however hopefully from the videos above you will see how relaxed our walks are, as it is mostly hilly and I have only two legs compared to Sams 4!

I don't understand how a puppy can get too much exercise consideing how much energy they store up. You have to explain that to me. As it is I have the dogs out for a walk once a day in addition to a training session and playtime.

Ranger - There were two topics recently that had some very good links concerning what constitutes overexercise for a young pup and what the negative results can be. Check that out and it should answer your questions. It is not a matter of energy - it is a matter of immature and growing skeletal structure and repetitive motion/impact.

This is a link to one of the topics: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=23487

And here is the "parent" topic: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=23377

The issue was thoroughly discussed and arguments are over, but there is a great deal of good advice and information, along with educational links, posted in both the topics.

Sorry--hijack alert!

my pup was just ten weeks old yesterday,

Pics, please!!

A

What lovely scenery and such a nice place for a walk with a good dog!

It is amazing to see how fast they grow - my pup was just ten weeks old yesterday, and Sam at 15 weeks is looking more and more like a young dog while my Dan is still obviously a pup.

Hi Sue, yes they don't stay young/small for long, to think just 9 weeks ago i brought him home in a small plastic box full of hay, and he was only the size that his head is now!

Yes we have some nice scenery where i live, i think i enjoy the walks more than Sam, and we sat and watched the Sunrise this morning over the hills which was very pretty.

I took some photos of Sam yesterday in the fields, he was sitting and laying and lapping the photos up like a model, will post later in the gallery.

However, I am continuing to walk Sam as I have done previously as most of the time he is walking a few yards in front and then stopping to wait for me, or he is exploring in bushes and having a sniff about. Furthermore, one of Sams favourite locations is a dirt field approximately 40 minutes walk that he thoroughly enjoys, you may be able to see him digging and running around chasing his tail in the field in the third video.

BCS,

Your pup is very cute and seems super-responsive and smart. My experience with raising Skye has taught me the importance of positive reinforcement. Here in Canada, 'clicker training' is very popular but although I have never used the clicker, I have used a word to 'mark' and reinforce good behaviour. It is 'yes'. I noticed that when you stopped your Sam came to you and sat, which made you chuckle (it made me chuckle too :D ). I would 'mark' that really good behaviour as soon as it happens to make sure that Sam knows he's 'done good'. This kind of positive reinforcement, IMO, is the best reward for pups that are learning as well as older dogs who LOVE to know they've pleased you.

The other point I was going to make, and something that I've worked on with Skye for a l.o.n.g. time, is recall when there's a distraction (it was a bunny this morning). Since that's a bigger challenge, I marked that when she was young with a treat -- now only a 'good girl' and party.

I don't mind Skye chasing something if its safe, but I want to be able to call her off if its not. I mention this for you because I heard what appeared to be ATVs or motorbikes in the distance that Sam seemed interested in. We have them as well in one of our walking locations, and they can be a real hazard!

Ailsa

P.S. In regards to the counting, I would try without counting out loud because before you know it, Sam will know when ten is and anticipate it! Without the counting, you'll keep him guessing :rolleyes:

I watched some of your first video and Sam is very cute! :D

Why do you count to ten between the sit and the down?

Hi Jedismom,

The counting thing i've done as a habbit i suppose since Sam was 6 weeks old, i started training him the day after i got him at 6 weeks, and it was meant initially to get him up to 10 without him moving from either the sit or the down position when i move away, i've dropped it now with the stay but i seem to have stuck with it (without knowing) with the sit/down!!! And they say Border Collies are compulsive! :rolleyes:

BCS,

Your pup is very cute and seems super-responsive and smart. My experience with raising Skye has taught me the importance of positive reinforcement. Here in Canada, 'clicker training' is very popular but although I have never used the clicker, I have used a word to 'mark' and reinforce good behaviour. It is 'yes'. I noticed that when you stopped your Sam came to you and sat, which made you chuckle (it made me chuckle too :D ). I would 'mark' that really good behaviour as soon as it happens to make sure that Sam knows he's 'done good'. This kind of positive reinforcement, IMO, is the best reward for pups that are learning as well as older dogs who LOVE to know they've pleased you.

The other point I was going to make, and something that I've worked on with Skye for a l.o.n.g. time, is recall when there's a distraction (it was a bunny this morning). Since that's a bigger challenge, I marked that when she was young with a treat -- now only a 'good girl' and party.

I don't mind Skye chasing something if its safe, but I want to be able to call her off if its not. I mention this for you because I heard what appeared to be ATVs or motorbikes in the distance that Sam seemed interested in. We have them as well in one of our walking locations, and they can be a real hazard!

Ailsa

P.S. In regards to the counting, I would try without counting out loud because before you know it, Sam will know when ten is and anticipate it! Without the counting, you'll keep him guessing :rolleyes:

Hi AFrancis,

Yes Sam is very hyper and responsive, he seems to allways want to please, he's also a very loyal dog, wherever i go, even if its just upstairs, he follows, he sleeps on my bed with me, and the other morning he woke me up at 05:30 with his chin in the fold between my chin/neckl, giving me a cuddle, and i woke my Mrs up and said to her to take a look at how lovely he is being, she said he might be lovely to you but he's got his bum in my face!! :D

I will definetely ditch the counting, as i said in my post above, it seems to have been a compulsive thing that i've been doing since i started training him when i first got him at 6 weeks, i just haven't dropped it, thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I will start to grade his rewards as suggested, making it a bigger reward for when he recalls in a more tempting/challenging situation and a lesser but still a nice reward for other times.