BC Boards

Exercising a Puppy

9 weeks on and he is a different dog. He is a lot better behaved around the children. However, i take him for a 6-8 mile walk/run every morning before woek, and also normally a bike ride in the evening, together with a few games of fetch during the day.

I have taken this from another thread, as I didn't want it to get lost. The above is way too much for a 15-week-old pup, imo. My working dogs do this in a day but not "everyday". I think you are looking at potential short term and long-term orthopedic issues. Puppies need exercise but I don't think it should be forced, even if on soft natural ground I still say it's too much. Please, check with your vet as Julie indicated in the original thread. At this age the growth plates have not even begun to close, the soft tissue is still developing and the mileage involved is a lot of pounding on the growing body. Disclaimer - not being rude just concerned about a puppy!

Bless your little pea-pickin heart :rolleyes:

All that for a 15 week old puppy? IMO, I would not exercise a young puppy to that extent. Heck, that sounds like a lot for the average *adult* dog. I would kindly advise the OP to do some research and consult with a vet about the issue. Puppies need exercise, but that's over the top. I would lessen the physical and if it's not already being done, throw in some mental stimulation/excercise as well. That's just as important.

I had my say in the other thread so I won't repeat it here. I think if you're ambling around for 6 miles and the pup is just ambling and doing pup things it might be okay, but if we're talking straight on exercise--walking, running, or biking, then I think it's too much.

Freeman brought up an interesting point in the other thread as well, one which has been repeated on this forum many times, but not lately, and it's that you get what you make out of your dog. Create a dog that requires miles and miles of walking and running everyday and when the dog demands that kind of exercise later in life (on a daily basis, when it might not be convenient), you will likely have a problem on your hands, that is if the dog isn't crippled from overdoing it at a young age.

J.

I was reading the responses to that post, I agree the puppy is getting to much physical exercise, but why would the owner change what's working without somebody suggesting an alternative that would not only be healthier for the pup but also build a better relationship in the future while still yieldig a well behaived tired pup. I don't recall anybody suggesting before now, to exercise the pups mind rather then it's body. I could see a new puppy owner reading all the suggestion about raising a border collie pup, a big one is border collie puppies need lots of exercise and stimulation, and think that wow, my puppy is tired and well behaived so I must be giving it enough, if it's not tired or behaived I must not be giving it enough.

I've seen it on all levels, I know of trialers that take their dogs out and run them at 3 am before a trial to get the edge off, they say if they don't the dog is to full of energy and it costs them at the trial, and it's funny, I was advised to run the energy off my dog early on when I was training. That's not the approach I took, I trained my dog self control and calmness so that he can work with me rather then trying to tire him into it. IMO, my way reaps way more benefit, I have a dog that can work at a drop of a hat day in day out, he gives me the best work he can right off the bat, where as they have to do something more to get the best work the dog can offer and then things go to heck as the dog hits exhaustion. BTW, IMO, as the dog builds more stamina, it just means your gonna have to work harder to get it tire.

Personally, running and playing with a pup to get it tired into being a behaived pup is way more work then to require that it think and learn how to be a behaived pup. Besides, the first requires a condition or me doing something before I can get a behaived pup, the second just gives me an unconditionally well behaived pup. I rather have it unconditionally, but, it harder to attain, it requires being a trainer and a teacher. If your not a good trainer or teacher it would be easier to physically tire a dog into good behaivor.

I hope that all made sense.

Deb

My reply from the other thread - so i don't get told off for Hyjacking!

Hi Guys and Girls,

No disrespect, but Sam is a VERY energetic dog and if you read my first post on these forums you will see that i got him from a farm in North Wales and both his parents were working dogs (they worked sheep and cows) and although i've had energetic Border Collies in the past, Sams parents were the most energetic dogs i have ever ever seen. They were sprinting like greyhounds full out stretching with every stride up these hills in North Wales that were so steep you would have a hard job trying to walk up! I really couldn't believe what i was seeing. And because they are smooth coated/short haired working dogs, they looked (to me) under weight compared with the collies i've owned in the past, but as i clapped Sams dad on his side it was like clapping a Race Horse, solid muscle.....

I don't want Sam to feel restricted like a bird in a shoebox, i don't want him to be a dog that sits and sleeps around my feet every night whilst i'm watching TV, i want him to run free and live his life to the full and whatever stimulation he needs whether that is excercise or mental stimulation i want to provide it for him.

I don't think there is anything more rewarding than to see him running free and coming back home at the end of our walk/bike ride/training session or whatever and feeling like he's really been working, he comes back home and lays down and look so content.

Sunday morning i took my daughters out with me and we were out for 3 hours, however we were not on bikes and were walking.....

I don't tire him/excercise him for long periods deliberetely to make him a more behaved dog, i think thats being taken a little out of context here and is a little unfair to imply that i'm a bad trainer......

What i was trying to say in the other thread is that if you don't work your puppy (yes both physical and mentally) then he is going to feel restricted and bored and that is going to cause behaviour problems.

The reason i take him on long walks is because i don't want him to feel restricted, i want him to be a happy and content dog.

And furthermore, as i've allready mentioned, i don't tie him behind my bike and make him run either, he trots along at a brisk walk and every 1/2 mile or so we have a sudden burst and fast ride/fast run.

I really don't see anything at all wrong with that.

Whoa, I'm not implying that you are a bad trainer, I just said that I can understand where people would think that physical activity is the answers, whereas IMO, mental it the answer to a well behaived pup.

I understand your justification of wanting your dog to be free and uninhibited, I've heard it before. But, careless and fancy free sometimes comes with strings attached, we can excersise good judgement by helping the dog to learn restrain and self discipline so that the dog does not have to learn the hard way. Think of it like an athlete, if a runner runs with no self control they can end up seriously getting injured, they learn self control one of two ways, either by suffering through the pain or by learning how to control their body lessening the chances of undue stress and injury. Also, remember, when you are out biking or running, yes your pup is running, but does he really have a choice, or does he feel the need to be with you and obey you by being with you. When you saw the dogs running free on the hill, they may have been doing it by choice, when they got tired they stopped or came in.

People are trying to help you by raising your awareness. Consider it simular to a parent having their child go out jogging with them regardless of being aware that they could be subjecting that child to living a life with shin splints, pain from old stress fractures and cartilage degeneration. Yes, excersise is good, but allow the child to rate himself by going out running with his friends don't require them to run with you, if you do then you need to decide when your asking to much, because they are just going to try to stay with you if they feel they have to.

People may be misunderstanding just how much running your dog is doing, but just consider that you may be asking more then you should to help ensure the long term pain free health of your dog. Just a little self check now followed by an adjustment if needed is way better for both your and your pup then to find out in a year or so that a little change could have changed her life and how long you can enjoy her sharing your activity level.

Deb

As others have pointed, out, it's not a choice of either running him as much as you do or lying around all day and night. There is probably a happy medium somewhere. I get it that the parents were very athletic--that's great. But as much exercise as you are giving this pup could very possibly be harmful to his little developing joints. I start my working dogs very young--younger than anyone else I know. I once discussed this with my orthopaedic vet. His reply was that if you basically let the pup run and jump or exercise as much as it would if left to its own devices, as in with littermates, that's fine. But pushing it beyond that, especially on hard surfaces, or with repetitive motions, is not good. I agree with others that you are pushing it a bit much with a young pup. I understand the "running free" business, but in reality, a pup of that age will not run/walk/keep going all that long. They go in spurts of about 20 minutes, then crash for a an hour or more. Then a bit more activity, then another long nap.

So what others are trying to say is that not only can so much continual exercise be harmful for a young pup physically, it can also "condition" that pup so that anything less, ever in its life, will make it bonkers.

I've got a 9 week old and an 8 month old here now (in addition to a boatload of adults--all are working dogs) who, after a 20 minute walk/sniff/eat sheep poop/ bit of run and chase in the pasture this morning while I fed and turned sheep out, came into the house and had a nice nap of an hour and a half. Now those 2 young ones are playing a quiet game of bitey face in the living room. They do not feel "restricted"; they are not "bored"; they are not "causing behavior problems." I expect them to understand down time and they do.

Bless everyone's little pea-pickin hearts,

A

Also, remember, when you are out biking or running, yes your pup is running, but does he really have a choice, or does he feel the need to be with you and obey you by being with you.

I think you bring up a good point. A lot of people don't understand just how much border collies prefer being with their people. Mine enjoy other dogs sometimes but they much rather have my attention and be with me. I think that's also why a lot of border collies don't enjoy dog parks.

ETA: Well said, Anna!

BordercollieSam,

Take a look at this article:

http://ca.life.yahoo.com/pets/blog/dogsinc...8/easy-does-it/

I'm sure there are many more, and probably more detailed, explanations of why it is important to moderate your exercise regimen with your puppy, but this was the best I could come up with for now.

Take the information for what it is; we're not jumping on you because of the bunny incident ( :rolleyes: ), nor does anyone expect you to already know this or that it is in any way a reflection of you as a dog-owner/trainer. I didn't know any of this when I had my first dog as a puppy. Ask Ooky. She's just had to put Odin through surgery for OCD; not saying over-exercise as a puppy caused it, but there is always that possibility. Here's the thread http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...l=odin&st=0

In terms of training expectations, give this a look as well. Turid Rugaas is a well-respected dog behaviourist. I wish I had read a lot of this when I had my first dog.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=2

best,

Ailsa

Just want to check in on what people think of Colt's exercise. We walk the river trails at least five days a week around 6 or 7K a couple of times we've gone 8K. So we're averaging about 3-4 miles. Takes us about an hour. We built up to this very slowly. I've been taking him on walks since he was 7 weeks old and the river since about 9 weeks.

He goes for a couple more short ones, say 20 minutes or so a couple more times each day.

Sometimes he comes home ready to snooze other times he's still playful.

We've been careful not to jump him and I asked my daughter to lighten up on the "spin" trick, after reading a post on this board.

I just read the other thread. So many injuries. Is this common with BC's?

Take the information for what it is; we're not jumping on you because of the bunny incident ( :rolleyes: ), nor does anyone expect you to already know this or that it is in any way a reflection of you as a dog-owner/trainer. I didn't know any of this when I had my first dog as a puppy. Ask Ooky. She's just had to put Odin through surgery for OCD; not saying over-exercise as a puppy caused it, but there is always that possibility. Here's the thread http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...l=odin&st=0

I don't know why Odin had OCD (which is board shorthand for osteochondritis dessicans of the shoulder joint) exactly, neither does any of the vets we saw, and no one ever can know. But it is most likely it was caused by some combo of genetics and an injury to the joint. It was so sad and painful for him and cost a LOT of money, especially in this economy! I never did anything as intense as you're describing with the 6-8 miles every day, but you can bet that I wish I had been even MORE cautious than I had been. Actually, my own theories are the slippery wood floors we have and that he spent his puppyhood sliding around on like ice, and/or a one time accident from jumping.

It has been my experience that guys are much more reckless with a dog than women. Maybe it's who I hang out/work with or live near, but I felt like I spent a lot of Odin's puppyhood taking the frisbee away from a boy who had just had him jump high for it, which he naturally tried to do after a week of rollers when he was 4 months old. The worst wipeout I ever saw him have was from a throw when he was about 6 months old thrown by a guy I had TOLD to throw rollers. Needless to say that particular person has never been allowed to touch the frisbee again. No one has thrown him a high frisbee to be intentionally mean to him, but it's like BECAUSE he can do these awesome things, people wanted to have him do those things even though they might not be good for him. You could take a young BC and really work them like Bela Karolyi but is that the way you want to do it, really? For maximum health and companionship, no way!

Interestingly, when I looked back at old pictures, he had visible muscle atrophy in that leg very early, about 5 months or even before. I just didn't know what to look for. So even before he limped he had joint troubles. The totally symmetrical front legs he has today (LOVE 'em! :D) came at a huge price to both of us, and any puppies I raise from here on out will be even more sheltered from overactivty and injury.

Guys, i think you are all overestimating the extent of running we are doing here.

If i was tieing him to the back of my bike and riding at 20 miles per hour i would understand your concern, however we are talking about a gentle 'probably' not even 5mph ride with Sam just literally trotting along side me, and then every so often we will have a 20 second sprint where he stretches himself out and tries to beat me...

I take Sam mainly 99% of the time through fields, he has the odd quick 20 minute walk at lunchtimes around the block which is pavement, however all other times its fields/parks.

There is a Springer Spaniel in the field some mornings when i'm out with Sam who is a year old and does absoletely nothing his owner tells him, has absolutely NO recall and the owner has to walk all accross the field to bring him back. This dog is so energetic and is allways running around and bouncing everywhere, however this morning Sam was running around him in circles in the field, and then lays down for a second of two with his head crouched low (without me telling him to) and then runs again and the springer got knackered in the end and the owner said thats the first time he's ever seen his dog get knackered. So are you also recommending that i don't let my dog run with this springer?

I don't know why Odin had OCD (which is board shorthand for osteochondritis dessicans of the shoulder joint)

Whoops, i thought the poster was talking about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder :rolleyes: , i was wondering how an operation would be available for something like that :D

So are you also recommending that i don't let my dog run with this springer?

I hope you read Alaska's post in the other thread. Sam playing with/running around the springer is exactly what the cited material she posted would consider "puppy initiated play," and therefore would be acceptable.

I get the sense that you think people are piling on you here and have visions of you dragging the poor pup along for miles, but I can assure you that's not it at all. We are trying to help you keep your puppy healthy. If you go jogging or biking for 4-6 miles, your pup is going to try to keep up with you, whether he's tethered to a leash or not. That's just being a typical border collie. The point everyone is trying to make is that even if he's going along seemingly willingly, it's too much, and it's up to you as the human (we like to say "the one with the big brain") to prevent him from overdoing it, by not encouraging it in the first place. I've seen and heard of dogs practically killing themselves (since they have little regard for self preservation) to do things to please their humans. As long as you are going, your pup *will* try to keep up, whether or not it's good for him to do so and whether or not he might be feeling some pain.

Of course, you can go on and continue as you have been, since it doesn't seem as if any argument, even the medical literature cited by Alaska, is going to convince you otherwise. Just for reference, I have raised four border collie puppies while working full time, and all grew up to be model citizens with normal puppy play time, short walks to the pond and back, and so on. None of them got extended work until they were closer to a year old, and then since it was work on stock, the sessions were still kept short, because working young brains will wear out a dog much more quickly than working their bodies.

Good luck with Sam, and I hope he doesn't end up with any physical problems from all the exercise you are giving him now. If someone else takes this cautionary thread to heart, then it still will have been worthwhile.

J.

I hope you read Alaska's post in the other thread. Sam playing with/running around the springer is exactly what the cited material she posted would consider "puppy initiated play," and therefore would be acceptable.

I get the sense that you think people are piling on you here and have visions of you dragging the poor pup along for miles, but I can assure you that's not it at all. We are trying to help you keep your puppy healthy. If you go jogging or biking for 4-6 miles, your pup is going to try to keep up with you, whether he's tethered to a leash or not. That's just being a typical border collie. The point everyone is trying to make is that even if he's going along seemingly willingly, it's too much, and it's up to you as the human (we like to say "the one with the big brain") to prevent him from overdoing it, by not encouraging it in the first place. I've seen and heard of dogs practically killing themselves (since they have little regard for self preservation) to do things to please their humans. As long as you are going, your pup *will* try to keep up, whether or not it's good for him to do so and whether or not he might be feeling some pain.

Of course, you can go on and continue as you have been, since it doesn't seem as if any argument, even the medical literature cited by Alaska, is going to convince you otherwise. Just for reference, I have raised four border collie puppies while working full time, and all grew up to be model citizens with normal puppy play time, short walks to the pond and back, and so on. None of them got extended work until they were closer to a year old, and then since it was work on stock, the sessions were still kept short, because working young brains will wear out a dog much more quickly than working their bodies.

Good luck with Sam, and I hope he doesn't end up with any physical problems from all the exercise you are giving him now. If someone else takes this cautionary thread to heart, then it still will have been worthwhile.

J.

But thats what i'm trying to get through, if it is acceptable for Sam to play with the springer, and he was running a lot quicker with that large springer than he does with me on a bike, then how can you claim the springer is fine but the bike isn't????

I've allready stated above that although i'm on a bike, Sam is just trotting along.........and even when we have our burst now and again it still isn't as fast as he runs with that Springer.....

And you mention that you get the sense that i think people are piling on at me.......

When sarcastic statements such as 'Of course, you can go on and continue as you have been, since it doesn't seem as if any argument, even the medical literature cited by Alaska, is going to convince you otherwise.' is posted, what other way am i expected to take it?

I stand by my stance that 'with the greatest respect', nobody on these boards has seen Sam with me on a bike, they haven't seen our stop off at a lake for him to take a swim (whoops :rolleyes: ) or the stop off at the ice cream van for an ice cream ( whoops :D ), so with the best will in the world, none of you are informed enough to make an informed decision whether it is too much for Sam or not. Although we are gone for several hours at a time, you are of the opinion that he is working at high intensity all of the time which couldn't be further from the truth.

I believe, that one of the biggest differences between pup initiated play and walking/running/biking is that play is not a constant activity. They run, they wrestle, they lay down and eye eachother and then do it all again. The other activities are constant and repetitive motions and on young joints, they can cause harm. As many others have pointed out, that is why most dogs do not start sports (agility, etc) or stock work until they are closer to a year old.

I know that you are giving Sam a wonderful life - you clearly love him very much. All people are suggesting is that you scale back you exercise with him for his health.

But thats what i'm trying to get through, if it is acceptable for Sam to play with the springer, and he was running a lot quicker with that large springer than he does with me on a bike, then how can you claim the springer is fine but the bike isn't????

The point being made about Sam playing with the other dog, whether it involves sprinting, chasing, wrestling, and so forth is that Sam is initiating and maintaining the play on his own initiative. When he is too tired or if the play gets too rough, he will stop playing (or you will be able to see that he's gotten too tired by his behavior and you can stop it if you feel you should).

I've allready stated above that although i'm on a bike, Sam is just trotting along.........and even when we have our burst now and again it still isn't as fast as he runs with that Springer.....

Speed per se and sprinting or jogging is not the issue - it is more of duration and the extensive repetition that trotting along with you involves. As Sam will not want to be left behind, he may keep up the pace beyond the point that is healthy for his growing body.

And you mention that you get the sense that i think people are piling on at me.......

When sarcastic statements such as 'Of course, you can go on and continue as you have been, since it doesn't seem as if any argument, even the medical literature cited by Alaska, is going to convince you otherwise.' is posted, what other way am i expected to take it?

You could simply take the well-meant, well-intentioned, and sound advice for what it is - good advice caringly given - instead of constantly getting defensive and offended when people are trying to be helpful. A simple "thank you, I'll consider that" is a lot nicer reply than telling everyone they are wrong, not nice, and judgemental without knowing the facts. Remember that the "facts" that people are basing their comments on are simply the information that you are supplying. If they are not getting it "right", maybe you are not communicating well or giving the whole picture. It shouldn't take post after post to get a comprehensive idea of what is happening.

I stand by my stance that 'with the greatest respect', nobody on these boards has seen Sam with me on a bike, they haven't seen our stop off at a lake for him to take a swim (whoops :rolleyes: ) or the stop off at the ice cream van for an ice cream ( whoops :D ), so with the best will in the world, none of you are informed enough to make an informed decision whether it is too much for Sam or not. Although we are gone for several hours at a time, you are of the opinion that he is working at high intensity all of the time which couldn't be further from the truth.

Joint damage in a young pup may be severe enough to show up as obvious injury or growth issues. But it can also be unnoticeable at a young age but be a real problem to the adult or senior dog. People are simply trying to help you avoid a common pitfall that owners of athletic youngsters may fall into because they just don't understand the ramifications of overdoing it with a pup because the damage is often not visible until much later.

In addition, as pointed out, "priming" a pup to expect and require a great deal of physical activity can backfire if and when you are not capable of providing it - for instance, if you become ill or injury makes you have to "lay up" - or, if an injury or some other circumstance requires the pup or young dog to "lay up".

There needs to be a balance that involves mental exercise (which it seems that you are providing) and physical exercise (which some folks feel is being overdone to the point of potential injury to immature, soft, and developing bone structures).

If your posts do not give people a good overview of what's happening ("none of you are informed enough"), either you need to communicate better, provide a more comprehensive description of what's happening, or get used to getting well-meaning and thoughtful feedback and advice based simply on what you write. Your reactions here are very similar to the "bunny" post and I wonder if it won't all end with your saying (in essence) that you were just stringing people along apparently to play the devil's advocate.

And that is why I was not interested in replying to your prior posts relating to this exercise topic. Trying to be helpful in this case (as in the bunny posts) seems to be about as useful as blowing in the wind.

And that is why I was not interested in replying to your prior posts relating to this exercise topic. Trying to be helpful in this case (as in the bunny posts) seems to be about as useful as blowing in the wind.

That has been my sense too, Sue.

BCS, on the other thread someone suggested you do some research about what is acceptable exercise (type and duration) for a puppy. I strongly second that suggestion.

Then, when everybody started posting back negative comments, I thought ‘oh dear, what have I started here, I know what, i’ll fight this to the end!’. Maybe I will win ……. but not a chance…….

Oh, I don't know Liz and Sue. This was BCS's Post #96 from the 'bunny thread'; we have 75 more to go :rolleyes:

You could simply take the well-meant, well-intentioned, and sound advice for what it is - good advice caringly given - instead of constantly getting defensive and offended when people are trying to be helpful. A simple "thank you, I'll consider that" is a lot nicer reply than telling everyone they are wrong, not nice, and judgemental without knowing the facts.

As usual Sue, you hit the nail on the head :D

Ailsa

Geez--and I had totally missed the bunny thread! But now I'm late for letting sheep out for the day, after having read the entire thing!

A

Funny, I've had this exact conversation with someone of Facebook a while ago.

I tried to drive home the point that it's not necessarily the type of activity that the dog is getting, it's the length and frequency of the activity that can be troublesome to developing joints. 2-30 minute walks a day should be fine, a 3 hour walk every may not be....I think it's a conversation the OP should have with his vet at the very least. I think he should actually ask the vet about activity and muscle/joint/bone problems, not just "Is a 6m walk ok for my dog?".

Why do you think tennis players get tennis elbow and people on the computer a lot can get carpal tunnel? High repetitions of similar joint activity.

Hi Sam,

The problem is that repetitive stresses can cause injury because your pup's long bones are still growing. Basically you are making him exercise too much on unfinished parts.

The way that long bones grow is by adding bone near the ends of the bone. When a long bone is immature, there is a long "main" section (the diaphysis) and two "caps" on the ends (the epiphyses). These "caps" are not attached, not fused to the bone, because the growth is occurring between the epiphysis and the diaphysis in an area called the metaphysis ("meta" = "change"). So repetitive stress causes injuries not only by damaging the cartilage and other tissues at the joint itself, but because you are asking the pup to do an adult-sized amount of activity on a structure that is not yet inherently sound. When people say "growth plates close" they mean that the epiphyses have fused to the diaphyses (they aren't really "plates") so that the long bone is one continuous structure. It is still possible to cause joint injuries with too much activity after the dog has physically matured, but he is not nearly so vulnerable as he is before then.

Even if Sam isn't going very fast, 8+ miles a day is a lot to ask of a pup. I find it hard to believe that you are really going so slow that Sam doesn't have to stretch himself to keep up -- my fast walking speed is equal to my Border Collies' easy trotting speed, and I certainly bike faster than I walk. But even if you really are biking that slow, and even if you are doing it all on grass, it is still too much. Long hikes at normal walking speed, with Sam free to romp and explore and play with dogs you encounter (if they are safe dogs) would be much better for him than 8+ miles of pounding. Also, biking is good exercise for dogs in appropriate situations, but it doesn't do anything to stimulate the other senses since they aren't really free to explore what they're passing by, and with puppies I think it's more important to stimulate their senses than to tire them out.

I didn't put my pup through anything like the kind of exercise regime you are describing, and she has been a breeze to raise and train, responsive, wonderful in the house, etc. She is from excellent working dogs too.