BC Boards

My 4 months old puppy is hard to train

I got my almost two yrs old BC Zimba in July. He only knew sit and down. I taught him to give paw, "beg", and to come and sit next to me on my left side. Sorry, I don't know all the commands in English... Zimba learned all of this very fast and he LOVES it when I am teaching him to do something new! I use a clicker when I train him. It's all just a fun game to him and he's almost beggin me to teach him something new.

I got Keira when she was 8 weeks old and she comes from a farm where her parents were working dogs. I taught her to sit first with the clicker and she took it very seriously. She's a fast learner and she learned a few commands very fast. My problem with her now is that she's almsot too proud to learn new things. If I tell her to sit, she looks at me with this serious look first, then slooowly sits down. She doesn't get excited at all if I get the treats and the clicker ready. When I am out with my dogs, she "herds" Zimba all the time. It's like she's practising on her own. I can tell this is something she loves to do, but I don't own any sheep and I don't know people who do either. All I can offer her is Agility when she gets older. But what do I do if she lacks motivation like she is now? It's like she doesn't really want to learn anything from me. My friend told me she's only 4 months old and she'll probably get more excited later and I should stop training her. But I thought this is the best time to train a puppy basic obedience. :rolleyes:

keirawater1.jpg

I have had that same problem with my BC puppy Emma.

I clicker trained her to sit, lie down, give paw and come. But she was very difficult to train and all she wants to do is go for our older border collie and bite his face. The biggest hurdle was establishing dominance over her as she is hands down the most stubborn dog I have trained. If I asked her to sit, she would do it very slowly. If I asked her to give paw I would get a look back, just like you have described, then finally she would do it after I persist, as though she was doing me a favor. She considered herself top of the pack and it took much effort to remove that notion from her stubborn border collie brain.

The key is persistence and establishing dominance all the time. I persisted and made sure she knew she was last on the pecking order. She is only allowed to come through the door last when we enter our house. First me, then the older BC, Zac and then her. Zac gets his food before her and many times I have rolled her onto her back in front of Zac when she is dominating him, so she gets the idea that she is below him. I demand she pay attention to me first and then the exciting things around. It has been a frustrating 3 months but it has finally paid off.

This is my first puppy and many people say that a puppy is easier to train, but that has not been my experience. I have trained many older dogs and found them much easier because they have a longer attention span and they understand what you want from them much easier. I have found that as Emma grows up she gets easier to train. She will be 6 months in a few days and now she is really getting it. She is finally lead trained, finally obeys immediately and finally knows her place in our family.

So really it is persistence, don't give up on training her, just keep at it. Keep at the basic commands that are necessary, keep establishing dominance over her and she will get it. If you don't do it now then later you will have a dog that thinks it rules the house and that will probably be even more difficult to train because it will be even more set in it's ways.

The key is persistence and establishing dominance all the time. I persisted and made sure she knew she was last on the pecking order. She is only allowed to come through the door last when we enter our house. First me, then the older BC, Zac and then her. Zac gets his food before her and many times I have rolled her onto her back in front of Zac when she is dominating him, so she gets the idea that she is below him. I demand she pay attention to me first and then the exciting things around. It has been a frustrating 3 months but it has finally paid off.

:rolleyes::D:D

Nothing personal, but that is about the worst thing you can do. PERIOD. You are traing your pup that you are a bully and she must submit or else. It's a good thing that you have a forgiving and permissive pup because if you were dealing with a truly dominent dog you would have gotten yourself bit many times by now.

To the OP, you have a young pup. BE PATIENT! She's not too proud, she's still a baby! Any sort of training should be in very short increments (2 min max) and very rewarding. DOn't stress about it, just have fun with your pup. Teach her that you are the best thing in the world and leanring things with you is the greatest. But keep it short - puppies have short attention spans and get bored easily - just like and baby or toddler. If you want to read a good article on training your dog effectively check out this one The Power of Training dogs with markers.

But please, please, please don't "dominate" your puppy

I have bookmarked the article and will read it later today. I do have lots of books on training dogs and I only train my dogs 1-2 min a couple of times a day. But I do think Keira is testing me. I told her to come a few mins ago and she looked into my eyes and walked right past me like she didn't care at all. I went after her and brought her back to where I was standing and asked her to sit. She stared dicerctly into my eyes again for several seconds before slowly sitting down. I must add I'm never angry or annoyed when I train my dogs. Always happy and I say my commands with a happy voice. So I know she's not scared of me or anything when she refuse to do as I say.

To the OP, you have a young pup. BE PATIENT! She's not too proud, she's still a baby! Any sort of training should be in very short increments (2 min max) and very rewarding. DOn't stress about it, just have fun with your pup. Teach her that you are the best thing in the world and leanring things with you is the greatest. But keep it short - puppies have short attention spans and get bored easily - just like and baby or toddler.

I totally agree. I'm trying to remember what Quinn's attention span was at 4 months, but whatever it was, it wasn't especially long. I also doubt if this puppy is being "too proud." More likely she is distracted and possibly just interested in the "rewards" she is being offered. I know I did a lot of training with Quinn at meal times when he was motivated to work for food. He was even more motivated to work for toys. I made training a game for him at that age, one that he loved to play for the attention and rewards and the fun. While of course you need to set limits for you puppy and teach good manners, you also want to build a strong bond with her. As Maralynn says, teach her you are the best thing in the world and being with you is fun.

Does she really know what the word "sit" means? Will she sit from a down? Will she sit when your back is turned? Will she sit when you give the command when you're sitting or laying down? Have you worked on the command in several diiferent areas - inside your home outside your home, at different locations, etc? If the answer is no, then she really doesn't fully understand what you are asking her. Intelligent dogs are very good at guessing what you want even when they don't fully understand the word.

What you are describing to me sounds very possibly like a confused puppy.

Any sort of training at this age should be fun and highly motivational. When you tell her to come, what reason do you give her for coming? With a pup that age I would throw a party (and often with treats) when they come. Come is important and I want my dog to know that the best.thing.in.the.world. is to come to me

And there are far easier and better ways to ascert your leadership in a fair way that your dog understands and respects. Simply controlling every aspect of your dogs life (through crating and a long line) is a very simple and effective way. As is "nothing in life is free".

You mention you have many training books. Do you have any on dog behavior? the book "the other end of the leash" by Patricia McConnell is a very good on canine behavior and body language and how a dog precieves the commands we give. If you've never read it I highly reccomend it (all of her books are very good)

I do have "On Talking Terms With Dogs" by Turid Rugaas. I have trained Keira every day since I got her, so she should know what sit means. She will sit from a down, but I haven't tried with my back to her or the other things you mentioned. I will try that as well when I train her next time. I do throw a party when she comes to me, and sometimes she gets a treat too (80% of the time) and sometimes not. It's been 15 years since I've had a puppy so it's like having a puppy for the first time. :rolleyes:

I have two working dogs and our new pup that is 4 months old.

I don't really train them to do much at this stage as their focus is not too deep as it were.

Also its a male and they seem to me to develop slower.

But what I do do is teach him to come when called, by using the long rope. The only time I've ever used it.

Then he has learned by going out with the trained dogs, this is without sheep mind you, to wait and walk behind me and to hold, that is stop but not lie down. These things he learned very naturally without stress, part of it is he watches the older dogs and gets an idea.

When we move stock we use all our dogs so its nice they learn to work together. Then when I really start training him around 9 months he will have some ideas about his work. Then he will work by himself and get his own set of commands.

Right now he is just a baby and I do not try to train him too much as he isn't old enough to learn some things. I just go along at his pace.

:rolleyes::D:D

Nothing personal, but that is about the worst thing you can do. PERIOD. You are traing your pup that you are a bully and she must submit or else. It's a good thing that you have a forgiving and permissive pup because if you were dealing with a truly dominent dog you would have gotten yourself bit many times by now.

To the OP, you have a young pup. BE PATIENT! She's not too proud, she's still a baby! Any sort of training should be in very short increments (2 min max) and very rewarding. DOn't stress about it, just have fun with your pup. Teach her that you are the best thing in the world and leanring things with you is the greatest. But keep it short - puppies have short attention spans and get bored easily - just like and baby or toddler. If you want to read a good article on training your dog effectively check out this one The Power of Training dogs with markers.

But please, please, please don't "dominate" your puppy

We shall have to agree to disagree on this then.

For my situation the problem WAS that Emma thought she was the dominant one of the family. She was in no way permissive or forgiving, she ruled the roost. She needed discipline and it was given in a kind but no nonsense manner. I started off with a 'aww look at the little cute puppy attitude' and 'she'll grow out of it' and her behaviour worsened. She jumped on me, bit me constantly, showed no respect and exhibited this same behaviour to everyone else. I had a good wake up call when she almost got run over by a car when she wouldn't come when I called, she literally attacked another dog and by the sheer anger and impatience of other people who had to deal with an uncontrolled dog. 'Control your dog' they said. And they were right.

I set rules, they had to be followed. I established a routine and my dog grew happier and more secure. Like a child, dog needs discipline and routine. In order to discipline your dog, she must respect that you are the top dog in the family or she will just not listen. She needs to know her place and she has to be shown it. If you do not, she will run wild. By dominate, I obviously do not mean do anything cruel. I simply mean you must consistently be firm and consistently be aware that you need to be in control. The simple act of making Emma enter the house last after the family worked. Ensuring that when we play tug of war she doesn't win...many small things like that establish who is boss. Standing my ground and changing my attitude helped immensely. I wouldn't give up on her coming when she is ignoring me calling. Nope I stand my ground until she does what she is told.

AND do the 2mins training sessions etc. My pup and I have much fun doing our clicker training. She loves it. We play together, walk together, we cuddle together all the time. But when I am on a walk with her and there is danger present..she comes when I tell her too. She does what she is told.

I once rescued a 7 month old Samoyed that had not been given boundries and discipline, it was a absolute nightmare. The dog ran riot and had no respect for anyone, she took a lot of rehabilitation.

So I am sorry if people disagree, I can only speak of my own experiences and learning. I got my little BC at 2.5 months old with every intention of the greatest gentleness, patience and softness in every aspect of her training like I had read about and the importance of insuring she had a happy childhood. I followed the books that said, 'aww, look at the widdle wuppy, coochie, coochie coo.' And my dog ran riot and she was not happy. My sweet little, runt of the litter that was so shy and sweet was dominating the whole family, the older border collie ran from her at every turn and was miserably stuffed in a corner all day long to avoid her. It got to the point where I felt like giving up, I felt exactly like the OP and that I should just try and train her when she got older.

Then I got a belt upside the head from a friend who is a dog trainer. When out on a walk, me being pulled along by Emma as usual, my friend grabbed the lead and took control of my dog and she behaved perfectly. She said, 'if you don't take control of this dog, she will control you.'

I said, 'but the books, they said.....'

'If you do not control your dog.' she interrupted. 'and let her know that you are the boss, you will have a problem dog.'

And she was right, I took control, I established in a firm and consistent manner that I am the boss and she is a happier, more well adjusted dog. She knows what she is supposed to do, what she is not supposed to do and she has security in that. She would wonder around the house like a lost pup before, now she happily plays with her toys. We are all happier for it.

The way the OP described her pup sounds exactly like the way my pup was behaving and to me it sounds exactly like a dominance issue. Obviously the OP must do what she believes best and is the only one who can really access the situation.

So whether people agree with my methods or get offended by them, I know what I do worked and it worked without cruelty or violence if anyone has that idea. My dog is by no means afraid of me, she respects me and knows I mean business and knows I love her. What more can I want from a dog or she want from me.

Dogs, like people differ, not every training method works with all dogs. If you have a head strong dog you are going to have to establish yourself as the master. I wanted to train my little pup just like I read in the more popular books and it backfired. I had to take control.

Lastly, our training sessions are far more rewarding, she knows 'sit', 'lie down', 'give paw', 'speak', the command 'come' and come when I click my fingers twice, walk at heel, come sit at heel, fetch the toy, 'stay', 'cuddle', 'fetch mommys slipper' (we are working towards slippers.), 'out', 'excuse me' and 'you want to go out?'

Blaze went through the same thing. But around 5 months. It actually worried me alot when I was going through it, because it's nothing like the personality of a BC to be like that.

I upped his exercise and I started making him lie down, here, lie down when coming in for the ball. Basically putting him on NILIF. But also relizing that after he'd done something right once, I didn't do it again for a while.

Don't worry, they come through :D

But then starts the "teeange" phase :rolleyes: Which I am going through right now with Blaze.

It seems around 4 months is the time that they push their boundries to see exactly what they can get away with. Like a two year old child, testing you.

I remember the 'teens' from my last BC, he went through that at 11 months. That was an interesting time. :rolleyes: I only got him at 10 months old so I don't know what age exactly that starts, but he was definitely going through it.

Nope, I can not agree to disagree on the subject of physically dominating and rolling your dog. It is the wrong way to approach the situation Period. And the reason I can't agree to disagree is that it is potentially very dangerous way to deal with the situation, ie, a truly dominent dog could seriously hurt a person who tried to alpha roll it. And if the dog wins, the behavior will only get worse.

However I 100% agree that dogs needs firm boundries, discipline and leadership. And that alot of dog owners don't understand that and it will lead to problems. But there are far better ways to to set up boundies and discipline than physically "dominating" your dog. Physical "domination" only works when the dog won't call you on the carpet for it.

When I got my dog, Kipp, he was 20 months old and could have really cared less about my opinion on anything. I set up rules and made myself the most important thing in his life. I kenneled him and practically ignored him for 2 or 3 days. I'd take him out for leash exercise, but that was the extent of my interaction with him. By the end of that time, he had a whole new respect for me because he understood I ran the show. He gradually got priviledges as he earned them. I got his respect and cemented my position as leader without raising a finger to "dominate" him.

Yup your pup was calling the shots and harassing your other dog. She simply had too much freedom and no boundries. And could have had the same results without rolling your pup by simply controlling every aspect of her life and implementing a "nothing in life is free" program (which it sounds like you have :rolleyes:). You show the dog that you are calling the shots and that they need you a heck of alot more than you need them. And that approach will work with dogs from 10# to 100# (try physically dominating a 100# dog).

I went through the same thing with Orbit. I got him from a shelter at three months and for the first couple of weeks he was fantastic. He learned very quickly and was super motivated. Then it all kind of fell apart. I took it personally and was really worried about how i was going to turn him around. He was very distracted and just "seemed" to prefer to do anything but what i asked him to. Then one day, like a switch it started to get better.

He is almost 6 months old now and he is wonderful. He still has moments where de doesn't immediately oblige but things are improving. I think that puppies have ridiculously short attention spans and go through phases. There were times at around the 4 month mark that i had to take a firmer approach than i would have liked and was worried that he was always going to be strong willed. But a combination of time and a deepening of our relationship has turned him into (or revealed that he is in fact) a soft dog and now simple voice corrections will do the trick.

I think it is also important to make sure you have reasonable expectations. As puppies, when they are deeply engaged in something really fun (playing with another dog, chasing a squirrel) their brain just does not process your request the same way as when you are in the kitchen holding a treat.

Hang in there, it does get better!

You have misunderstood, she was rolled on her back when she was harassing and dominating our older dog, not for me establishing dominance. This is so she understands that she is not dominant to the older dog. This was also because Zachary would not put her in her place. It worked, she stopped harassing him.

Of course I won't walk over to the neighbours massive rottweiler and try and roll him over :rolleyes: . But I know my dog and know that she will not react aggressively, she needed to be shown what was correct and what was not. It did not hurt her in any way, it simply established the chain of command.

Perhaps 'dominate' was a too harsh word in my attempts to describe. But then dominate is what it is when someone is in control of another. So I think perhaps you are objecting to the word itself and that it pulls up some different ideas then intended. Perhaps I should have used the word 'control' or 'leader'.

many times I have rolled her onto her back in front of Zac when she is dominating him, so she gets the idea that she is below him.

Interesting. This makes no sense to me in terms of logic. First of all, dogs don't roll other dogs. That myth was debunked a long time ago - I believe it was based on faulty wolf research and that the researcher has since admitted he was wrong in that observation. Wolves (and dogs) do not roll other wolves (or dogs) - the submissive animal rolls for the more dominant animal willingly to offer submission and to avoid conflict. It seems to me that rolling a dog is escalating conflict, because it's a very aggressive action (not to mention one the dog does not really understand). Secondly, you rolling your puppy doesn't tell her that Zac is "more dominant" it just tells her that every time she tries to interact with Zac, you come out of nowhere and throw her on her back. If I were her, I'd be mildly terrified of you, because you react in a very aggressive fashion to normal behaviours from her.

When I got Piper at 4.5 months of age, she received the nickname "Bossy Boots" in about 12 minutes into my home. Piper is bossy with other dogs, but she walked into a pack of males who were not interested in being bossy at all and she whipped 'em into shape. Frankly, as long as she was not intimidating, injuring or otherwise making their lives miserable, I was not (and am not) concerned about how bossy she is with my other dogs. Her relationship with them, and her relationship with me, are definitely connected but they are also exclusive relationships. For the most part, they can work out their relationships, provided they do it without bloodshed or serious argument. And this has always been the case.

I demand she pay attention to me first and then the exciting things around.

See there is where I think you have confused "dominance" with "reasonable dog handling." Although I would replace the word 'demand' with 'insist.' Asking your puppy to learn how to pay you mind and not blow you off is part of ALL dog training - not just with bossy puppies. All puppies need to learn this skill and it's part of building a relationship with your dog, especially in a multi-dog household where a puppy is naturally going to gravitate toward other dogs as opposed to you. After all, other dogs speak her language and you don't. Plus, you keep throwing her on her back and I'd go out of my way to not interact with you if you did this to me as well.

This is my first puppy and many people say that a puppy is easier to train, but that has not been my experience. I have trained many older dogs and found them much easier because they have a longer attention span and they understand what you want from them much easier.

From this snippet it seems clear that you understand that puppies don't automatically know what you want, and that they have short attention spans, and that getting them to learn can be a challenge. This is common sense and pretty accurate. So knowing what you know, I wonder why you then leap to the conclusion that your puppy is all those things but also dominant. Maybe she is just all those things and not dominant at all? It sounds like the only animal in the house who is obsessed with dominance is ... you, frankly.

Another thing I have noticed over the years is that my males have generally been like this:

Me: Jump

Males: How high? How far? Where? This fence? That shrub? Can I get you a latte while I'm there?

Whereas my females have been like this:

Me: Jump

Females: Why? What's in it for me?

:rolleyes:

The exception to this has always been Mr. Woo whose reply is always "Mr. Woo WHO? I don't know this Mr. Woo of whom you speak. I'm going out, see you when I feel like coming back."

I have to agree with Maralynn that rolling one's dog might make you feel like hot shit, but it doesn't really tell your dog anything that they understand. I bet you would see the same results from an NILF scenario without hurling your dog on her back and demanding she comply with a "dominance" paradigm that she really does not understand at all.

RDM

I'm 100% sure she knows her commands because she has been very good before. I train her both at home and out on our walks. I think I'll start using the drag line again when we're out in the woods because she doesn't come when I call her, like she used to do. I still believe it's a dominance issue. I still treat her like a small puppy and maybe she has matured so much in her head that she's going through a testing phase. Zimba has never tested me and is a very soft dog. He's happy with me being the leader.

So with all this talk of 4 month old Border Collies, I had to go check some emails I sent friends back when Quinn was that age. By 5 months, I was starting to gush about Quinn and how much I loved him. I'm one of those odd people who isn't that crazy about little puppies but adores dogs when they hit their teens so by a few months later, I was a goner.

Anyway based on my emails, at 4 months Quinn was clearly a ton of fun though fairly exhausting for me. Constantly busy, into all kinds of mischief, very easily distracted, and barely ever interested in cuddling. No doubt since his days were spent quietly while I worked, he had a lot to make up for in the evenings. At that age, he did things like playing keep away during fetch (easily fixed by attaching a long line to him) or ignoring me to bark at other puppies or leaping onto tables and counters. His recall could be shaky but he enjoyed training sessions.

I really didn't look at Quinn's often wild and sometimes uncooperative behaviors in terms of dominance, but then I don't look at everything a dog does in those terms though I know some people do. I just figured he needed to learn manners and limits. I admit there were times when I was harder on him than I was on my previous puppies (nipping and running was a biggie) but that was more the exception than the rule. I did see him as a controlling little coyote but there are lots of ways to be a strong, clear leader of such a cunning puppy. Much of it I chose to do through management and a relaxed NILIF approach. It seems to have worked. Quinn is still a ton of fun who is ready for adventure at the drop of a hat, but lovely to have around the house. At the office, I frequently hear how laid back and sweet he is. And I'm still a goner for that boy. :rolleyes:

So with all this talk of 4 month old Border Collies, I had to go check some emails I sent friends back when Quinn was that age. By 5 months, I was starting to gush about Quinn and how much I loved him. I'm one of those odd people who isn't that crazy about little puppies but adores dogs when they hit their teens so by a few months later, I was a goner.

Anyway based on my emails, at 4 months Quinn was clearly a ton of fun though fairly exhausting for me. Constantly busy, into all kinds of mischief, very easily distracted, and barely ever interested in cuddling. No doubt since his days were spent quietly while I worked, he had a lot to make up for in the evenings. At that age, he did things like playing keep away during fetch (easily fixed by attaching a long line to him) or ignoring me to bark at other puppies or leaping onto tables and counters. His recall could be shaky but he enjoyed training sessions.

I really didn't look at Quinn's often wild and sometimes uncooperative behaviors in terms of dominance, but then I don't look at everything a dog does in those terms though I know some people do. I just figured he needed to learn manners and limits. I admit there were times when I was harder on him than I was on my previous puppies (nipping and running was a biggie) but that was more the exception than the rule. I did see him as a controlling little coyote but there are lots of ways to be a strong, clear leader of such a cunning puppy. Much of it I chose to do through management and a relaxed NILIF approach. It seems to have worked. Quinn is still a ton of fun who is ready for adventure at the drop of a hat, but lovely to have around the house. At the office, I frequently hear how laid back and sweet he is. And I'm still a goner for that boy. :rolleyes:

Thats a good point. Even through that little bit of "just not interested" with Blaze I went through, I still completely enjoyed him. His puppyhood was -still is- so much fun. He was the best little pup and tought me alot.

I looked at that time of about 4/5 months old as a learning time. I'm still having tons of fun with him and I'm still learning SO much about the breed and it's awesomeness.

I'm not sure I'd look at it as a dominance thing, either. I'd simply look at it as they are still very, very young and need more training or she's testing her limits to see how much you will let her get away with. It might just not have "clicked" yet with the training you've done. My brother's beagle is this way. He's a very, herm how to put it, "apha dog". Up untill about a month ago, he wouldn't even SUBMIT to the older dog's corrections. He would still keep on bothing them (BTW, he's 7 months old now). But something "clicked" with him and it's like "oh, okay I need to submit to the older dogs in order not to get corrected more". He matured, imo.

I'm 100% sure she knows her commands because she has been very good before. I train her both at home and out on our walks. I think I'll start using the drag line again when we're out in the woods because she doesn't come when I call her, like she used to do. I still believe it's a dominance issue. I still treat her like a small puppy and maybe she has matured so much in her head that she's going through a testing phase. Zimba has never tested me and is a very soft dog. He's happy with me being the leader.

When puppies become teenagers they do test the boundaries and all of a sudden their brain cells take a vacation. Just stick to reasonable rules and be patient...Teach good manners and the dog will defer to you without any of the 'dominance' stuff.

Dogs do not learn from us how to act around dogs, they learn from other dogs.

I'm 100% sure she knows her commands because she has been very good before.

So she consistently will sit or come in a variety of situations with you sitting, laying down, back turned, etc? If you've never tried it, you should - it's a real eye opener.

Smart dogs are good at guessing and also take body language and tone of voice into consideration. They can be harder to train in some ways because they pick up on so much more. And puppies are like children they may "know" it but sometimes temptation is too strong, or they just have "I forgot" and "teenage" moments and they just like to test the boss. And sometimes it's just too hard to be good! They need someone who is firm with the boundries and rules, yet patient.

I think I'll start using the drag line again when we're out in the woods because she doesn't come when I call her, like she used to do.

That is because the woods is much more interesting than you are, there are so many new sights and smells - it's an amusement park for a puppy! The long line is very good idea, but should be coupled with you becoming very fun as well, ie, get her attention then start running in the opposite direction as you say come - dogs love chase games. And make sure you have treats!

Zimba has never tested me and is a very soft dog. He's happy with me being the leader.

In that case Zimba has you spoiled! Missy has never tested me. From the very begining her whole attitude has been "your wish is my command". It's wonderful. I've never had to do much training with her, I just show her what I want. Kipp is much more of a dog and wants to know whats in it for him. he's goofy energetic and easily sidetracked. There have been several times where I thought "what did I get myself into". I've had to approach training from a different direction with him.

Just to be sure, Keira stole my chair yesterday while I was getting something to drink. Usually I would go "awww!" and pick her up and let her rest on my lap. This time I was about to go "awww!" but then she growled at me! What would you call it? Was she testing me or trying to dominate me? Is testing and dominating the same thing? I just think I'm having a language problem here, hehe! In Norwegian I would say "trying", like she's trying to dominate me.

Btw, I lifted her up and put her on the floor and then ignored her.

Just to be sure, Keira stole my chair yesterday while I was getting something to drink. Usually I would go "awww!" and pick her up and let her rest on my lap. This time I was about to go "awww!" but then she growled at me! What would you call it? Was she testing me or trying to dominate me?

I would call that "resource guarding." The chair is a resource, and she was guarding it. That's annoying, but more testing than dominance. I would teach her an "off" command proactively in other situations where she is not guarding something. I teach all my dogs get off and on, say, the sofa - and I make it fun. That way, I never have to battle them for something like a sofa spot. Many years ago I had a basenji who would bite you if you tried to get her off a sofa (she came to me as an adult). I have always ensured since that my dogs will remove themselves from anywhere I ask before they have a chance to turn it into a resource guarding issues.

Blowing off a recall is not a dominance issue either, it's just a dog not really getting why they should listen to your recall. I mean think about it - other dogs don't issue "come" commands to other dogs, and it's kind of a weird thing (from a dog's perspective) to demand of someone. Going back to the long line and working the recall is a good idea. A short drag line for teaching "off" the sofa can come in handy as well.

RDM

I think RDM pretty much hit it bang on.

At 4 months of age my dog was a nut case. She was a puppy, she played, got into everything and ran around like a tornado, not to mention she was a bit of a b*tch. She knew sit and down very well, and her recall was pretty good, but only because when I did try and train her, it wasn't training per se, I taught her all of that while I was playing with her. To go above and beyond that though was way too much for this dog at that time. Her head was like 18 hamsters trying to run on the same wheel and the same time in 18 different directions! I didn't get any real focus out of her until she was a year at least and now I can teach her just about anything. BUT, she is very much one of those dogs who has to know what's in it for them and she's still a b*tch. That is part of her personality, I definately don't see this as her trying to dominate me... some dogs are just like that while some are much, much more easy going.

Someone mentioned reading some books on dog behaviour, and I second that. I would also suggest reading Parenting your Dog by Trish King. It's pretty neat.