BC Boards

senior dog - nightly 'needs to go out'

KrisK

While this problem isn't with one of my border collies, I'm trying to determine if this is a geriatic issue or should I take yakkety Zach to the vet. He is 12 1/2 years old now. In 2004 he had a severe case of pancreatitis and is also on medication for his heart (vetmedin). All in all, he is very healthy, goes for a 2 km. walk most nights, plays, eats normally, etc.

On occasion, he's had to go out to relieve himself in the middle of the night. For the past few days, it's been a nightly excursion. He sleeps in the livingroom and will wander down to the bedroom so I can let him out. No big deal, except now he's decided that he won't go back to sleep in his normal spot and even though I've put him back on the couch, he jumps off, and follows me to the bedroom. I've put him back, he follows me again, so I broke down, and let him sleep on the bed. Anyone who said that old dogs can't learn new tricks hasn't met Zachary. I beginning to think part of his 'nightly need' might be so he can sleep on the bed. :rolleyes:

However, I did go through the 'geriatric' stage with Brandy and she did have to go out in the middle of the night a lot. I'm just wondering if Zachary's at that point now or is it possible that something else is going on.

Any thoughts?

Sara started needing a middle of the night potty trip at @ 13. Because I go home at lunchtime, she doesn't normally need to "hold it" for more than 6 hours at a time during the day and this seems to be her schedule at night as well since she needs to go out @ 4 am. She has no other signs of incontinence and nothing is showing up in her semi-annual bloodwork, so I am assuming that it is just an age thing. (And yes, whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks obviously didn't have a dog!).

JMO, but the first thing I'd do is get a urinalysis, particularly because it's something that has recently taken an upswing. You don't want to miss something simple like a UTI. As a BTW, illness can cause clinginess, so it may be a "new trick" - or it may be about having some anxiety related to a health issue.

Just a thought.

Thanks AK Dog Doc! I was thinking it might be worth a trip to the vet, just in case. Zachary is an anxious fellow anyway, but he has been a 'bit over the top' of late. If I remember correctly, it is one of the side effects of the Vetmedin.

Last night he wandered into the bedroom, and this time, I just put him on the bed... and in a second, he was fast asleep. :D

But I'm going to err on the side of caution with him. I darn near lost him in 2004 and I really want the little bug to hang around for a lot longer :rolleyes:

All I know is that my last dog would drink alot of water even when her chronic pancreatitis wasn't in flare and she had to go out alot too. Does she also drink alot of water?

He doesn't seem to drink any more than the other 3. I find all of them are drinking more since it's so darn cold and dry! He's back to sleeping on the couch without getting up at night. I'm still going to try for a urine sample although I'm not keen on standing outside at -30 to get one first thing in the morning :rolleyes: