BC Boards

Older dogs working/trialing

kelpiegirl

I am not a handler- but someday wish to be. That said, I really really like seeing older dogs working, the finesse, the wisdom, the comfort akin to a well worn shoe- the dog knows what you want before you tell it, and the overall "gelling" of the partnership. That goes for farm dogs as well. To all of you who have those aforementioned dogs, you are very "rich" indeed.

Julie

Nice thread.

I have an old guy, 12 this month. He has always been a great ranch dog, was once a decent sheep trial dog, and then a really nice cattle trial dog. He doesn't hear well any more, but I still use him when I have a tough job to do: setting really nasty range ews a few months ago at a trial, dog breaking some calves for a friend last month for his young dog to work, loading nasty calves into a trialer two weeks ago, etc. He's always been especially great working with mamas (both ewes and cows) and their young 'us. For most jobs, I use my now #1 dog (a 5 year old), and am also getting the pups to learn to do chores, but when I'm going to somone else's place and am not sure how tough the job might be or for doing setout over several days, in case the other dog(s) might get injured, I always take him along because he is my mister reliable.

Thanks for reminding me to appreciate him!

Anna

I just lost a dog like that the week after Christmas -- my good old Spot dog. He was just what you describe. He was great at anticipating my needs, both on a big scale (going to gather the sheep and bring them to the chutes without a word from me when he saw me gathering my foot trimming stuff) and on a small scale (grasping right away which sheep I was trying to catch, and reading my slightest move to cooperate with me in helping to catch him). Like Anna's dog, he was outstanding with the ewes and lambs -- I could always trust his judgment, and he had exactly the right persistent yet reassuring touch with them. I miss him a lot, but I always knew I was lucky to have him, and I think he knew I thought so.

• 2 weeks later...

Tess is my old dog....she is 8.5 yr and although that may not be as old as the other dogs...she is the senior dog here. She is my right hand and irreplaceable. I swear she can read my thoughts and be there as needed.

Today we had to go to the far field and get a pregeant ewe....she was left behind with the working flock by accident. I stood at the gate and sent Tess into a 20 acre field that had grass that was waist high in over half of it.....she came back with the flock but not the marked ewe....I told her to look back and off she went. I started to walk down the road to see where the ewe was....she was not in the area where the flock came from. Next to the fence were cows and Tess loves to work cows and I saw her head over there...."hum" I was wondering "will she try to bring the cows over the fence" but suddenly she veered off and went to the complete opposite side of the pasture.....soon out of the brush pops a very fat ewe with Tess slowly walking her. No way I would have thought that ewe was in that corner....she was hiding among the broken tractor and far gate.....so 450 yds away, the pair creep up to me.

I sort three other sheep to go with this ewe on the 1/3 mile drive down the semi-busy country road. Trucks and cars pass us when we are at the gate and Tess holds them firm against the fence so they do not get hit. I hop into my car to move it and tell Tess to take them home and she starts the journey home....I pull over to park my car then realize that I could just follow her home driving behind her....hum, Tess driving the sheep and me driving the car with flashers on....several cars stop as we go past and they all wave.....Tess never breaks stride and pushes the sheep towards home, holding them fast if they try to break down a side road or the multiple driveways along the way. I give her no commands...she knows the routine.

We arrive home and Tess holds them to the barn door and I sort the fat ewe into a stall and the others into the lower field.

The work is not done as I open the chicken coop door and Tess rounds up the chickens, ducks and Tom Turkey and puts them away for the night. I don't say anything as she has this down pat. Next is bringing in the ewes and lambs intot the stall from the lambing corral to feed and put away for the night. I open the stall door, and close it behind Tess as she goes to get the flock, I load up my arms with hay and open the door and Tess has everyone in the stall. I drop the hay into the feeder and Tess comes out. One lamb is nibbling on Tess's ear.

Next job is to get the sheep from the back lawn to see if anyone is bagged up yet so I turn off the electric fence and she slips under it. I go to the gate and from the woods, the sheep and Tess appears and she holds them to me while I check bags. I select one and Tess's eyes fasten on her and she dances like a cutting horse and put it in the lambing corral. My sole job is to open and shut the gate.

The next job is to get the range ewes and range ram to check on them from the upper pasture. The ram hurt his foot so he is very testy and Tess and he go nose to nose but he wisely backs up. All in well in that paddock

Last job is to get the cow and goats. The calf challenges her and she gives him a quick nip on the nose and when he slows down she gives him a quick heel grip made him move faster. The llama sneaks up behind her as if to stomp her and I tell her "look back"....then she goes behind the llama and heels him and all thoughts of stomping Tess quickly fades from his mind as he is now first of the motley crew back to the barn

Muddy and wet ....Tess walks up to the house,. I hose her off and towel her dry and now she is fast asleep in her bed. She is getting old and I don't have a youngin trained like her....after all, it has been almost seven years since her daddy "Jeff" bought her this sheep farm for her birthday.

That's my old dog story

Diane Pagel

All I can say is that I have goose bumps. This "Tess" dog is what EVERYONE talks about when you talk about your right hand mate, your friend, and the best border collie you will ever have. It surely is an honor to have this dog in your, and every one else's lives. I am quite truly in awe. Thank you for this. Do I have your permission to cross post this?

Thanks

Julie

ps: any plans to clone her? :rolleyes:

Tess is my old dog....she is 8.5 yr and although that may not be as old as the other dogs...she is the senior dog here. She is my right hand and irreplaceable. I swear she can read my thoughts and be there as needed.

Today we had to go to the far field and get a pregeant ewe....she was left behind with the working flock by accident. I stood at the gate and sent Tess into a 20 acre field that had grass that was waist high in over half of it.....she came back with the flock but not the marked ewe....I told her to look back and off she went. I started to walk down the road to see where the ewe was....she was not in the area where the flock came from. Next to the fence were cows and Tess loves to work cows and I saw her head over there...."hum" I was wondering "will she try to bring the cows over the fence" but suddenly she veered off and went to the complete opposite side of the pasture.....soon out of the brush pops a very fat ewe with Tess slowly walking her. No way I would have thought that ewe was in that corner....she was hiding among the broken tractor and far gate.....so 450 yds away, the pair creep up to me.

I sort three other sheep to go with this ewe on the 1/3 mile drive down the semi-busy country road. Trucks and cars pass us when we are at the gate and Tess holds them firm against the fence so they do not get hit. I hop into my car to move it and tell Tess to take them home and she starts the journey home....I pull over to park my car then realize that I could just follow her home driving behind her....hum, Tess driving the sheep and me driving the car with flashers on....several cars stop as we go past and they all wave.....Tess never breaks stride and pushes the sheep towards home, holding them fast if they try to break down a side road or the multiple driveways along the way. I give her no commands...she knows the routine.

We arrive home and Tess holds them to the barn door and I sort the fat ewe into a stall and the others into the lower field.

The work is not done as I open the chicken coop door and Tess rounds up the chickens, ducks and Tom Turkey and puts them away for the night. I don't say anything as she has this down pat. Next is bringing in the ewes and lambs intot the stall from the lambing corral to feed and put away for the night. I open the stall door, and close it behind Tess as she goes to get the flock, I load up my arms with hay and open the door and Tess has everyone in the stall. I drop the hay into the feeder and Tess comes out. One lamb is nibbling on Tess's ear.

Next job is to get the sheep from the back lawn to see if anyone is bagged up yet so I turn off the electric fence and she slips under it. I go to the gate and from the woods, the sheep and Tess appears and she holds them to me while I check bags. I select one and Tess's eyes fasten on her and she dances like a cutting horse and put it in the lambing corral. My sole job is to open and shut the gate.

The next job is to get the range ewes and range ram to check on them from the upper pasture. The ram hurt his foot so he is very testy and Tess and he go nose to nose but he wisely backs up. All in well in that paddock

Last job is to get the cow and goats. The calf challenges her and she gives him a quick nip on the nose and when he slows down she gives him a quick heel grip made him move faster. The llama sneaks up behind her as if to stomp her and I tell her "look back"....then she goes behind the llama and heels him and all thoughts of stomping Tess quickly fades from his mind as he is now first of the motley crew back to the barn

Muddy and wet ....Tess walks up to the house,. I hose her off and towel her dry and now she is fast asleep in her bed. She is getting old and I don't have a youngin trained like her....after all, it has been almost seven years since her daddy "Jeff" bought her this sheep farm for her birthday.

That's my old dog story

Diane Pagel