BC Boards

Stamina change normal or issue of concern

I vaguely remember a discussion last year about dogs that seemed 'out of shape' when spring came around but I couldn't find it. Over the past four weeks for various reasons, Meg has been on a light exercise regimen. About a week ago, for no apparent reason she woke up from a nap and lost her lunch. (First time since she was very little ).

Since then we've had increasingly warm weather (its been unseasonably warm this week) and her infrequent limp is gone. She is bright and happy and outrageous and playful and her usual FULL of herself Meg with one exception: she has very little stamina. Meg drops at will to a down and pants heavily after 10 minutes of exercise. Our overall sessions are down to three 20 minute sessions with tag and tug in the house in addition to training as supplements. Meg used to insist that I get three 30-90 minute playtimes running like the wind, bouncing and frolicking, digging and climbing with her every day she wasn't hanging out with dogs.

Is this something that sounds like it should be 'watched' or should I take her in to my vet complaining that my 15 month old puppy just doesn't seem to jump off the tallest buildings in a single bound anymore? Am I being an alarmist or blase?

...her infrequent limp...

I'm curious about this. How often does it occur? Do you know the source of the limp? Any time you have unexplained lameness along with any of a huge number of "weird" symptoms, I'm suspicious of one of the TBDs (tick-bornes diseases). They can give you intermittent and sometimes quite subtle symptoms. They can run sub-clinical for a long time, and only manifest when the dog is under some sort of stress (or just because...). Anyway, I'd see my vet and run a tick panel just in case.

Paranoid of TBDs :rolleyes: ,

Anna

I'd see my vet and run a tick panel just in case.

Paranoid of TBDs :rolleyes: ,

Anna

Thank you for this advice. We believe that the limping was due to sore muscles and were watching it with the vet. I will speak with my vet about this. Meg did have a tick at the onset of her demodex which preceded the limp and now the stamina issue. Better to be a little paranoid than deeply sad.

• 1 month later...

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After we were cleared by the vet for tick borne diseases per suggestions here, I started keeping records of temperature/humidity vs stamina measured in time to voluntary down for panting. It is clear that her stamina is related to her ability to dissipate body heat. We've had typical March extremes so it has been very easy to detect a pattern. I'm hoping she will adjust a bit when she loses some of her coat, but Meg is on the short side of a medium coat.