BC Boards

Obsession

I just adopted an 8 month old border collie from our local shelter. Now, I'm not new to border collies... our 9 year old BC had to be put down just last week.

Anyway... our new girl, Sadie, is obsessed with birds, butterflies, pretty much anything that flies. Walking her isn't pleasurable half the time, because she gets SO distracted! She'll pull at her leash like she wants to chase them.

I know BC's are herding dogs, so how do I calm this behavior when we're outside? We've been working on sit, but when we're outside she pretends not to know it.

Any advice?

You need to work on her focus and attention - getting her to watch you on command. This needs to be done inside with as few distractions as possible, then gradually increasing the amount of distractions.

For example, start inside, then move to your back yard, then maybe a low traffic park, eventually moving up to a more distracting route.

I agree with Kitch. And if she has any favorite toys, etc. you can use those as motivators... play games (when you've progressed to outside work) with her and if she shows any interest in birds, etc. game over & go inside. I do this with my dog, who is obsessed with birds (but not to the point you describe, I don't think). If she even glances upward, game over. She caught on pretty quick.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Well my puppy doesn't chase butterflies, but she has an obsession with a certain ball. She is constantly wanting us to throw it for her and will start crying if we don't do it right away. It seems to be all she cares or thinks about! Not sure how to break her of this, but any suggestions would be great.

Hi Haley and Welcome...

I'm sorry you lost your other dog so young. Congrats on getting a dog from a shelter.

I have a 10 month old puppy who is very distracted by shadows. He is also deaf so I have to work very hard to get him to look at me instead of the ground. I have no secret tricks for you - just that over the 6 weeks I've had him, he is realizing that I am the greatest thing he's ever met and more fun than any shadow. Its improving every day and I'm careful to be very positive and super smiley with him. Use whatever treat works for you. My pup isn't into toys or food treats but he loves to get a positive "Happy Fist" sign from me.

Keeping my hyper pup tired out and teaching a sign for "relax- chill out" has worked wonders for me.

It sounds like it would she would make a good canidate for being a frisbee dog! My male, Poppy, liked to chase cars until I channeled it into a ball or frisbee game now he doesn't chase cars anymore. I don't even let him look at them. I also make sure to wear him out everyday so he doesn't have time to be interested in them either...

See... I tried to see if she'd be interested in frisbee or balls... she just stares at them when I throw it. It's hard to keep a favorite toy when she destroys them everyday, lol.

On tonight's walk I thought she was sniffing the ground at first... but then I noticed she was sooo into it... looked closer, and she had been chasing a roach in the yard for 10 minutes. It was like nothing else in the world mattered to her except that bug! She is absolutely obsessed.

"See... I tried to see if she'd be interested in frisbee or balls... she just stares at them when I throw it"

Yah, Jacko was like that when we first got him. H threw a frisbee to him - it hit him in the nose and the dog just stared at it!

We realized later that no one had ever taught him how to play, so we proceeded to do so. We started with throwing treats, to teach him that when we throw something he is supposed to go get it. When he got reliable on that, we'd throw a ball. Sometimes we had to run to the ball, and he'd chase us, and then get the idea that he was supposed to pick the ball up. When he was reliable on that, we would use treats to entice him back to us with the ball, and treats to get him to drop it.

Now it's a game - he chases the ball, then he runs back to us and trots by us with the ball in the air, as if to say "haha, I have it and you don't!" Then he comes back and manipulates you into grabbing it just so he can play tug for a few minutes. After tug, he sits and waits for you to throw it again.

For a dog who didn't know how to play fetch 2 months ago, he LOVES it now!

Originally posted by Haley:

It's hard to keep a favorite toy when she destroys them everyday, lol.

Quinn only has access to Nylabones. All other toys are put up unless I am playing with him. Otherwise he would destroy them all. So his Frisbees, tugs, balls come out a few times a day when we play or train.

I agree with Jackodog that she may need to be taught how to play. Being a smart BC, I bet she can learn pretty quickly