BC Boards

Trying to find a finished dog

leslie4

I am looking for a finished working dog. I have a small herd of registered cattle who will move easily with minimal pressure but I'm tired of walking out and collecting them myself and would love to find a dog that I could send out instead. I need for it to have a good disposition because I have four children. Do you have any advice on who I could contact that might be able to help me? How much should I be ready to spend? Thank you for your time.

Leslie McDowell

It might be helpful to post your location. You can get a trained dog for the right price depending on your expectations and patience (lol), but I like working with someone local as much as possible and highly recommend it for others.

There's different kinds of work, and different levels that a potential dog could be trained, to that work (does that make sense?). The best thing to do in my opinion is find someone who has a simiiar setup to yours, or whose dogs have shown the level of work that you need (preferably greater), and either get a dog directly from them or get a dog from someone they recommend.

That makes sense, I'm in south Louisiana. I figured my best bet would be a breeder in Texas or Mississippi but I doubt there are many in my state. I found one called "Red Dawn" in Texas but I haven't received a reply from them yet. Is there a list that I can get of reputable breeders? Iv'e looked online with no luck. Thanks for the advice.

Leslie

You might also try Gary Westbrook in Benton, Arkansas at stockdog@direcway.com, especially if you need a dog for your cattle on a home operation.

The price of a dog will vary with its capability and level of training, of course, but most people, after biting the bullet and paying a good price for a dog, will agree it's the best money they ever spent.

Good luck!

I would highly recommend Gary in Arkansas. He is having a trial October 7/8, and even if he doesn't know of a dog for you, somebody there might well have something. Besides, you can take your time and see dogs work on sheep. It is different, but a good dog is a good dog. You will get an idea of different styles, and temperments, and maybe find somebody who will work with you at your place. Go to www.usbcha.com and find his trial date and contact information in the 'upcoming trial' section.He lives a bit southwest of Little Rock. Take your time and get a dog that matches you and you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

leslie,you may be able to find a retired dog for less money. Also many dogs are fine for work like you described but don't have that something special to be a top trial dog. Many folks sell these dogs for a reasonable price knowing they are going to a good home. Dont get talked into a puppy if you want a dog to work any time soon.

Good luck. Lana