BC Boards

raccoons using the sheep water trough

Denise Wall

I don't think I've seen this one brought up here before.

Unless my sheep have taken to frying up some chicken every night and using the water trough as their trash can, I've got raccoons using my sheep trough to wash food scavenged from the neighbors' trash cans. This is pretty messy and I hate emptying out that much water out regularly. It's actually a fair distance that they're having to bring the food to wash it there so it kind of surprises me.

Any safe and easy suggestions as to how to stop this?

Do you want to get rid of the raccoons or simply stop them from washing the food? Racoons are easy to trap in a have-a-hart trap (we baited with cat food). My parents have used one in their garden and I've used one in the barn with good success. I had our local animal control come and euthanize (shoot) my 'coon after it was trapped because it had gone on a poultry killing rampage and I was possibly exposed to the saliva (due to bad advice from my vet), but my parents "moved" theirs live (they moved a mother and her babies and the mama waited until they dropped off every baby over a period of several days before moving from where they dropped her off). I'm sure you know this, but for those who don't, moving wild animals is not legal in many areas/states. I don't have any great ideas about how to stop them from entering - we haven't had great success with this option.

Kim

DO your sheep drink much water at night? What if you just covered the tank at night for a period of time until the raccoons give up and go looking for another water source? That doesn't mean they won't figure out after a while that you've removed the night time cover, but you never know....

Another option might be to leave the water level really low and just add water more often. I don't know if the coons would be so desperate to wash that they'd actually go down in the stock tank (unless that's what they're already doing) and sit in the water while they do their thing, which is what they'd have to do if the water level was too low for them to reach by leaning over the side.

J.

I found this at http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/raccoons.htm

It discribes how to make a cover. I don't know if this is possible with the sheep.

Discourage raccoons from disturbing pond plants and other aquatic life.

Raccoons are attracted to ponds because they associate them with a food source. While a motion-activated light or sprinkler, or your shouting may scare off a raccoon, this is usually temporary. A raccoon, especially an urban raccoon, may run away the first night, walk away the second night, but, if there’s no additional deterrent, by the third or fourth night the animal will be back with the light shining brightly or the sprinkler sprinkling strongly.

Always give fish a safe place to hide by constructing hiding places on the bottom of the pond. Use cinder blocks, ceramic drain tile, wire baskets, or upside-down plastic crates held in place with heavy rocks.

To prevent raccoons from disturbing aquatic plants in containers, use containers that are too heavy or wide for raccoons to overturn. Securing chicken wire over the top of the containers will prevent raccoons from disturbing the soil inside.

Although it’s awkward looking, small ponds can be completely covered with a barrier that can be left on permanently or removed daily.

Since raccoons are most active after dark, be sure the pond is covered at night. Examples of barriers include one-inch mesh chicken wire laid over the surface and held in place with stakes—raccoons will walk on the barrier and try and go under it. (While black bird-netting is less conspicuous, raccoons and other animals can easily get entangled in it.) A wooden or PVC pipe frame covered with wire mesh can also be built to cover the pond. Maneuvering over pond plants with any of the above can be difficult.

An alternative frame can be constructed from heavy plastic lattice available from home improvement centers. Carefully cut the lattice so it fits in the pond; cut out pieces to accommodate any pond plants. Cover the lattice with bird netting (with the solid backing, animals are less likely to become entangled in the netting). The netting can be glued to the lattice using Shoe Goo? or other waterproof glue.

For larger ponds, stake 2-foot wide strips of chicken wire flat around the inside of the pond edge where raccoons are entering. (Cut the wire as needed to match the curvature of the pond.) Raccoons will have difficulty reaching over the wire, and will tend to not stand on it because of its instability. To camouflage and extend the life of the wire, spray it with dark-colored automobile undercoat paint or other rustproof paint.

Figure 8. Install two electrified wires, 6 and 12 inches above ground around field crops and other areas needing protection. The fence can be hooked up to a switch for discretionary use; when you want to work near it, turn the system off. Where the fence presents a safety problem, install signs, short pieces of white cloth, or other material on the wire for visibility.

(Drawing by Jenifer Rees.)

Ponds with steep, 2-foot high side walls discourage raccoons from entering the water, but may be a safety hazard for small children and the elderly. These hazardous areas can be located away from paths and/or be heavily buffered with dense growths of tall marginal plants and shrubs.

Two electrified wires, 6 and 12 inches above ground and just back from the water’s edge will deter raccoons (see "Preventing Conflicts" in Great Blue Herons for examples). A single strand of wire may be sufficient, but two wires will provide added insurance against the animal making the climb. The wires can be hooked up to a switch for discretionary use; when you want to work near the wire, turn the system off. Where the barrier presents a safety problem, attach signs, short pieces of white cloth, or other material on the wire for visibility. (See "Electric Fences" in Deer for additional information.)

Prevent damage to lawns. Because worms and grubs inhabit areas just under well-watered sod, raccoons (and skunks) are attracted to these food sources. See "Prevent Damage to Lawns" in Skunks for ways to prevent conflicts.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I don't think I can get rid of the raccoons, so a trap probably wouldn't work. There are also all sorts of critters here I fear I'd catch if I put out a trap. For now I think I'll try covering the trough at night. I can put some water under the shed at the barn for the sheep at night. I doubt the raccoons would go in there.

The idea of limiting to water to a small amount at the bottom of the trough will be my next plan if covering doesn't work out for some reason, although I would have to disconnect the automatic watering system to do that.

Thanks again,

No raccons drinking out of the waterers due to the good diligence of my Grt Pyr, Kodi.

However they were using the pond near the house and also helped themselve to a bunch of chicken and then Kodi figured out how to leap/climb over a fence and *poof*...no more lost chcicken and no more food leaving in the pond.

I did put out a Havahart trap and got a few possums....(live catch trap)

Diane

Can you move the water trough? The raccoon population is starting to peak around here after a major trough due to rabies about 10 years ago, but I never have this issue. The only reason I can think of is that I don't leave the trough (or the sheep) in one place very long. There's also a lot of natural water around -- and perhaps they prefer those ponds and streams.

Of course, if they were to try to wash food in my water troughs right now, they'd just get a big old clunk instead of a splash.

Thanks, Bill, that may be an option.

I never got around to covering the trough last night and this morning found spaghetti noodles in the bottom of the tank. Plus it looks like they were using a stick to fish them back out with. I don't know if lowering the water level will help if they're going to be using utensils to retrieve things :confused:

Still, I'm amazed they're carrying this trash so far just to wash it in my sheep trough. I can't even conjure up a mental image of them carrying spaghetti for several hundred yards!

Maybe leave a little wine and parmesan next to the trough you want them to use. :rolleyes:

If you really wanted to figure it out, you could leave a little trail of baby powder or some such along the fence you think they're coming through, and check for footprints the next day. Lot of trouble though. We found where a snake was coming and going that way.

You'd think your neighbors would be getting tired of having their trash rifled through!