BC Boards

Fences

tumblehome

DH and I have rented an old farm, loosely described as ramshackle. Twenty acres, fenced and cross-fenced (also loosely); several buildings, last used/misused for horses.

My hope was to bring half a dozen sheep in, but some 2-300 yards of the perimeter fencing is worse than I first thought. I am not especially concerned about dogs and and daytime predation, but overnight coyotes may be an issue.

So. Is it feasible to graze sheep within e-fencing by day--moved around as required--and return them to a barn/barnyard by night?

Also, has anyone successfully used temporary solar-powered e-fencing? I've seen temporary e-fencing and permanent solar-powered e-fencing, but not together. Hmmm.

Any help hugely appreciated...I see my sheep dream dwindling as early spring progresses.

Chris O

I did that, back when I was keeping my sheep on someone else's land. I think I had about 15 or 20 sheep at that time. I was using solar-powered electronet -- the energizer was like a toolbox with a solar panel on top. No mishaps. I usually didn't even bother with a grounding rod unless I was going to use that particular area for several days or more. Put-up and take-down were easy on open ground, much harder in brushy or woodsy areas.

But if your fenceposts are solid, it's also not a big expensive project to put up 2-300 yards of field fence (woven wire).

I don't know if your predator pressure is worse than ours here, but I graze my sheep night and day, 4 - 6 months a year in Premier Electronet fencing (until snow grounds it out). We are surrounded by coyotes but, to my knowledge, I've never lost a sheep/lamb. My neighbor has seen coyotes skirt his Electonet fences. So I'm not so sure that you'll need to put them in at night IF the fence is hot. I do weedwack the fence line when the pasture is high and keep the charger well-grounded . . . Again, this assumes your predators are the same as ours'.

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Given the cost of electronet and charger, I agree with Eileen--it might be just as cost-effective to replace the existing fencing. But then again, since this is rental property, you might prefer to sink your money into fencing you can take with you should you move on....

J.

Yah, this is not only a rental but doomed for development, so I'd rather put as little into the facility as I can, realistically. I figure I can literally pull up stakes when we have to go.

Also, we had big rains the end of December and the lower property was flooded to about 3 feet with flowing water. The flotsam really did a number on fencing and posts alike.

Were we assured of staying, I'd gladly restore permanent fencing.

Oh, predator pressure--since we've been here, no sighting or hysterical dogs in the middle of the night. Just howling off to the southeast. Maybe not much of a threat at all.

Many thanks for the advice. I feel a whole lot better, at least til the next setback.

Chris O

If predators are really a worry, I wouldn't depend on just a woven wire fence. Coyotes can dig under the fence or gates, so you usually end up electrifying at least part of it or putting up barbed wire. I have a 20 acre field surrounded with a woven wire fence, but keep the sheep in Electronet within. Some of our other pastures are tucked on top of hills, accessible only by horse/4-wheeler. I keep 80 sheep + their lambs in 3 lengths of electronet. It's easy to move and put up. I also use the electronet as temporary panels when sorting and handling the sheep. The electronet isn't totally worry free. Of course, your dogs can't be too pushy when using this type of fence, especially if they're in full wool, because the only thing holding the sheep is the threat of pain, and you need to not push the pasture too hard (or they'll escape to get to better pasture). I've also lost a couple lambs over 10 years, but this is mainly because I left the fence off/undercharged and they learned to not respect it and got caught in the fence when trying to escape. But in terms of coyotes/roaming dogs, I really like and trust the (hot) Electronet.

Kim

No question that you can buy a lot of perimeter fencing for what a few rolls of electronet, a powerful energizer, a couple of deep cycle batteries, and a battery charger would cost. Even more if you buy a solar panel large enough to keep up with charging the batteries -- though in the Central Valley you wouldn't need as much panel as we do up here on the 43rd parallel.

But as you and others have pointed out, you can take this stuff with you. I mean, techincally, you can take permanent fence down too. I've done it. But if you develop a good fencing system using electronet, and you get good at using it, you can really expand your grazing horizons.