BC Boards

Worm composting?

Well, this is a sort of livestock management question.

I've got a small back yard, mostly shaded, and need what area we have for the dogs. I really miss composting my kitchen and yard waste - hate just throwing it in the trash. Does anyone know anything about worm composting? I'm assuming worms would take up a smaller space than a regular compost heap. And I tried one of those drum things, didn't work for me. I'm really much more the type to drop it all in a heap, turn it maybe once a month and then get some great dirt from it down the road.

We're a household of 2 adults and 5 critters. I'm wondering if worm composting would be able to handle the amounts of kitchen waste we produce. And, if the worms are fussy at all. Keeing the pile moist I could handle, checking ph and keeping the nitrogen ratio in balance I could not do well.

Thanks in advance!

Ruth n the BC3

My gosh, Mizitiki, that's the absolute gold mine of information! Thanks so much for that link - off to read some more.

Any other responses will still be read and appreciated.

Oh, and I went straight to Vermicomposting Dog Poop topic. Am I predictable or what? I figure if you can compost a sheep, ya otta be able to compost some dog poop.

Ruth