BC Boards

OT. Mouse residing in car!

KrisK

Okay, so a mouse is not exactly livestock :rolleyes: but a mouse (or similar little rodent) has decided to take up residence in the glovebox of my car. Evidence..teeny tiny tracks in the snow, going under car, but not away..shredded tissue and a piece of crackerjack corn in the glovebox(I get to drive 150km round trip to work...so sometimes I snack!) I didn't actually see the mouse, but I didn't really look too hard. I had visions of him/her popping up while I was driving - no, I'm not afraid of mice..just don't want to be surprised that way Since I've only recently moved to the country (last July), I haven't had to deal with this type of problem. Any ideas as to how to keep them out of the car... Aside from keeping one of the cats hostage there?? I'm going to borrow a livetrap for a day or two just in case the little beggar is still in the car.

Thanks!

I just discovered the exact same problem in my car! Napkins in the glovebox shredded, with mouse droppings--I cleaned that up, and then I had left a granola bar there and found it partly eaten with little tiny nibbles eaten in the wrapper.

Any advice to get rid of it is welcome--I can't even figure out how it got there.

Deanna in OR

My daughter wanted a pet mouse so I bought one. I was so busy congratulating myself on what a great mom I was, that I never considered that the mouse was in a cardboard box and I had a 2 hour drive home. I have screaming fits when confronted with a mice/rats/chipmunks so sure enough this thing got out in my truck.

I was beyond hysterics when I got home. My cats were 19 and 22, so they weren't interested. I took a pail and filled it a cm deep with birdseed and apple chunks and leaned it against the hump between the seats and fled into the house. During the night, hungry mousie slid into the pail and couldn't get out again. Try it, it might work and it won't hurt the little fella.

Two years ago just after I pulled out of my driveway my truck died. I had it towed in. The mechanic called me laughing away - a mouse was making it's home under my hood with food storage and all. Apparently the little fella got tired of the "mobile" home so he chewed apart a couple of wires. The mechanic was very amused...but several hundred dollars later I would have shot the little bugger if I could have found him. Hence, now we have barn cats and I have seen no sign of a mouse at all. The bucket idea sounds like a good idea! Wonder why the BC's did not take care of that mouse??

I find nests in my snowmobiles every fall. I didn't have BCs when I bought that miserable mouse. My yorkies would have shredded the truck before they shredded the mouse. Looking back on it, that little black & white mouse was marked remarkably like a border collie...

I have Four barn cats but my husband and kids think it's too cold for them to be in the barn so I have 5 dogs, 4 cats and many, many fat mice in the feedshed.

Is this rodent in the car month or something? The last week I've had a rat visiting my car - I'd left the windows open in the garage. First time I saw him he was in the glovebox. I shut it quickly, then opened it again, but he was gone. Cleaned everything up at the weekend, and one of my cats left me a dead rat (in the dining room) the other day - but ratty was in the car again last night. I'm going to leave the car out of the garage tonight, and hope he doesn't come visiting again. I really hate to have to use a rat-trap - but after the story about the wiring, I might have to. So far, he's snacking on plastic - the bottle I keep water in for the dogs leaked in the car because he snacked on the lid, and I hadn't noticed for a few hours!

I'm with Bounce. There is this guy that does some animal show on Saturday mornings (I forget the name). Anyway, he was showing how to catch up a lost hampster. He put some shavings, yummy food, and water in the bottom of a medium tall bucket (maybe like a broom pail or ice-cream container sized thing). He sat the bucket upright, and leaned a piece of wood (looked 1 X 4 ish, about 2' long) up on the side of the bucket. He put little yummy treats leading up the plank. He says that hampsters have no depth perception really, and will eat the food walking up the plank and then fall in for the food in the bottom. Worth a try. :rolleyes: