BC Boards

Best route to Klamath Falls

Hi all. We're trying to make traveling plans for the upcoming finals and I thought I had my route all planned until yesterday. I had planned on coming from SD on I-80 through Wyoming to Winnemucca and then turn north on (I believe) 140. I heard yesterday that that road wasn't particularly "camper friendly". Any thoughts on that route or on a better one in from people more familiar with the area than I am?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Laura

I am thinking of attempting the same route (140) on my way to Utah. I've driven it a number of times but in the past I've towed that little 16 ft trailer I used to have. I now have a larger 26 ft trailer and a little on the fence about the route.

It's the eastward direction that has the steep climb and you wouldn't want to have an underpowered vehicle. The westward direction is a more gradual climb but a steep downhill part has hairpin turns and a steep drop off on side...you would want to be careful with your brakes.

Another VERY IMPORTANT item is DO NOT LEAVE WINNEMUCCA without FILLING YOUR GAS TANK. You won't find any gas after you leave Winnemucca until Lakeview...some 220 miles.

EDITED: Really, the steep section of road is not very long....it's not a bad road, just drive carefully on the difficult part.

The only other alternate route would be from Reno up 395/299/139 to Klamath.

When I went out to Soldier Hollow last year, I went through Reno as I had to pick up my Mom there and it only added about 50 miles to the trip and it was pretty good roads the whole way. Don't know how that equates to South Dakota though as geography was always one of my worst subjects!

Geri

Elizabeth and Geri,

Thanks so much for the info. No matter which route I end up taking I'm sure I'll come through Salt Lake City. I've been through there twice now, both times with my husband driving and both times he got lost!

My mom and my two boys are coming with me so it should be a fun trip!

Thanks again.

Laura