BC Boards

carbon monoxide

PennyT

I tried to ask this over on the Car Talk forum but I can't figure out how to post. It says I posted but the post isn't there. I was listening to Click and Clack this past weekend, and someone asked about driving, dogs, and carbon monoxide.

Anyway, here is my question: I have a Dodge dually with an extended cab and

a shell. The exhaust

is on the back right. The screened, sliding side window on the shell is on

the right side. I put some dogs in the cab with me and some in

wire crates in the back. I open the window between the cab and the shell. I

also open the sliding window for ventilation. I do not open the back window

over the tailgate while driving; however, I am concerned about the

possibility of exhaust entering through the screened, sliding window on the

right while the car is in motion or while stopped and cooling the engine

prior to turning off the ignition.

PennyT

Thanks, Mark. That topper fan is a great idea.

If you get a chance, go over to the Car Talk website and read the forum "Second Opinion" with the topic "Martha's Question." They are talking about airplanes and lift and the Bernoulli effect.

Penny

Mark,

I've been wondering about this also, since I travel everyday with the dogs, to and from the field.

Saw this post and I do have a battery operated portable CO2 detector that I use in my trailer.

Since I have to drive a half hour to my field, I tried 2 things.

1. drove down with all windows open in F150 crew cab, plus rear window open, plus both side slide windows open on cap and top liftgate open (which I usually do when it is warm) Placed the CO2 detector on the floor of the rear of the truck (by the tailgate)on the passenger side. My tailpipe is on the passenger side behind the rear tire (below the sliding window of the cap). After driving for half an hour, stopping for red lights in areas that have very high truck traffic, the CO2 reading was 0.

2. Driving back I closed all windows in truck, leaving rear window open and side sliding windows of cap open, with lift gate closed. CO2 reading was 0. Detector was placed in same positon.

I have a short bed truck with 2 400 crates and one 500 crate.

Not scientific but hope it helps. One thing I didn't know was if CO2 would rise or fall. Since my dogs lie down when traveling, I placed the CO2 detector where they were at.

One of my biggest concerns has been when traveling long distances to trials when it is hot. When very hot, i will turn the air on in the truck, open 2 front windows, open rear window and sliding windows of cap. When i stop to check on the dogs in the rear, they are always cool. My concern would be if I got stuck in traffic and was not moving for a prolonged period of time.

nancy O

Mark,

I placed it directly in front of Ben's crate, directly in front of where his head normally is.

I figured with the back gate up there would be reduced airflow in this area as compared to the top of the crates.

NAncy O