BC Boards

Bluegrass

I remember one year Denise was one-off the Championship run. I forget whether it was the Bluegrass or the Finals. Everybody said what a great job Denise did and better luck next time and all that - Steve told her privately he knew just how she REALLY felt - "21st is the first damn loser." Actually, I think he "comforted" a lot of people with that line over the years.

Denise, I hope this weekend made up for that and is a harbinger of things to come! I'm awfully happy for you on a lot of different levels.

Originally posted by brookcove2:

I remember one year Denise was one-off the Championship run. I forget whether it was the Bluegrass or the Finals. Everybody said what a great job Denise did and better luck next time and all that - Steve told her privately he knew just how she REALLY felt - "21st is the first damn loser." Actually, I think he "comforted" a lot of people with that line over the years.

I heard Steve say this many times, and I've heard it from others, too. Maybe it's true for highly competitive handlers who truly have a good chance of winning most every trial they enter. However, it has never been true for me.

I've won a bunch of ribbons, from 1st place to 10th place. While I was running Rip, I had a LOT of 3rd and 4th place ribbons, several 2nd place, and a few 1st place. The first year we ran at Seclusival, on the big field in PN, we were 9th out of 63 dogs. I was thrilled! I have NEVER felt like a loser of any type or level when I placed.

I know how hard I've worked and the things I've overcome to achieve any success. I don't want anyone telling me I'm the first loser or the second loser or the 20th loser or any other kind of loser.

Maybe Denise did feel like the "21st loser," but she has never communicated that feeling to me, about her runs or mine.

I don't want anyone to think that we all look at trials this way.

Joan - I am very grateful for your comments. I guess we all just look at these things in our own way. I have never appreciated the thought that second place was just the first loser. I always thought it was how you played the game that counted.

All six times I have run Celt (and he's my first and only dog I've ever run) in Novice, we have been firmly entrenched at the bottom of the scores. But I have been very happy about one or more things each run, happy to be able to run my dog, and happy to love and enjoy my dog no matter what we are doing.

I've heard this type of expression used for all sorts of sports - that anything but winning is losing. I think with that attitude guiding your life, you are guaranted to be a loser more than you will be a winner. Maybe that's why I am not a competitor in general - I just don't have that approach to competition.

However, different strokes for different folks.

Joan, you are right. Being just out of the Top 20 at the Bluegrass was a let down, but I certainly don't feel like the a loser. I am usually my own worst critic, but this time I am proud of myself and my dog for staying on that Top 20 board until the bitter end. Considering those tough sheep, the challenging course and the 130+ top competitors, I feel fortunate to have been in the money at all. And it makes me want to work harder to do better the next time.

Originally posted by Valhalla:

Joan, you are right. Being just out of the Top 20 at the Bluegrass was a let down, but I certainly don't feel like the a loser. I am usually my own worst critic, but this time I am proud of myself and my dog for staying on that Top 20 board until the bitter end. Considering those tough sheep, the challenging course and the 130+ top competitors, I feel fortunate to have been in the money at all. And it makes me want to work harder to do better the next time.

Thanks for chiming in Christine. I'm so glad to hear that you're proud of your accomplisments at the Bluegrass! I'm certainly very proud of you. Congratulations! Thanks also for making the point about the inspiration to do better next time.

I think that anyone who could just complete that Open course has a great deal to be proud of, much less those like Denise and Christine who completed it twice with good runs each time.

Someone once said something along the lines of winning or losing being something you do with yourself, not whether or not you are "better" than someone else by placing ahead of them. I'm not saying it well but I hope you get the idea.

Originally posted by Sue & Ed:

I think that anyone who could just complete that Open course has a great deal to be proud of, much less those like Denise and Christine who completed it twice with good runs each time.

Sue, thanks for the compliments! And thank you for all the help you did at the trial! I'm sure the KBCA is thrilled to have super volunteers like yourself.

Hi Guys,

I ran late on Sunday and was so exhausted I stayed overnight. My trip home yesterday was delayed several hours due to a terrible wreck on 75S that closed down the highway so I didn't get home until late last night.

First off, a *huge* THANKS to all the volunteers and people responsible for this wonderful trial. Congratulations to all those who did well and to all who took on this challenging course and sheep.

Debbie, I was so sorry to hear about Luke. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to keep going the way you did.

As soon as I get caught up a bit I hope you guys won't mind if I write some about my experience. And I have lots of pics that I'll work up and post a link to.

Thanks to everyone who has written, both here and privately, for your kind words about me and Mick. I'm so proud of my dog!!!

Denise! (and Mick too),

How cool! Great job! and I imagine and unforgettable experience.

Can't wait to hear more about it!!

Christine,

Hats off to you too! Running at that level and putting in a consistent run on consecutive days (on difficult sheep) is no easy task.

You are both to be commended! Nice work.

:rolleyes:

I love the name Mick. When i first got my Mick, I was going to change his name but I never did and then fell in love with my Mick and the name stayed.

I saw that my Mick did ok, the runs were tough for him.

Way to go Bluegrassers...I lived through your stories.....

Congrats to everyone!!

Diane Pagel