BC Boards

Not motivated by food?

Last night was Kailyn's first night at obedience school, she is now almost five months old. In our class of 16 nicely behaved puppies, (sorry 15, plus mine!) I had the only one who could care less about all the treats I had carefully prepared through the day. I tried chicken weiners, liver snacks, cheese, etc., had a little bit of everything. I didn't feed her dinner, so she must have been hungry, but all she wanted to do was play. I couldn't get her attention for anything! I realize it's only her first class, but if I can't get her attention, we're not going to get very far. On the upside, I did get alot of personal attention/training from the instructors (who are bc people as well!) Any suggestions?

I have that's completely unmotivated by food (a completely unknown phenomenon for me since the rest of my dogs are complete food junkies). Toys don't actually inspire her a whole lot either. I'm just trying effusive praise, since the thing she wants most (sheep) isn't exactly easy to carry around for training.

It was funny the last time I was at the vet with her, the vet gave her a treat ball filled with liver biscotti to entertain her. She had the best time with that ball, but my other dog was the one following behind snagging the treats that came out....

J.

Oh, come on, Julie... you mean you can't carry a sheep under your arm during training? I don't get it... why not? :rolleyes: Maybe if you got a Southdown...? :D

Strangely, Finn has a preference for sheep-shaped toys, and also ones with fleece exteriors. Unfortunately, he also has a thing for wool, and back when I had time to spin he would sometimes grab the trailing wool from the (unoccupied) spinning wheel and run aaaaall over the house with it, unravelling my yarn off the wheel behind him. :D It's a sickness.

Well yesterday evening Joy wanted help with one of her ewes, so we walked down to the pasture, where the little darling ran ahead, slithered under the gate, proceeded to gather the entire flock and bring them up (it was nice work, actually, but NOT what I wanted her doing) and then wouldn't let me catch her. I had blocked her from further access to the sheep so she decided that chasing the chickens that were in the field was adequate substitute entertainment. Hmmm....tucking a chicken under my arm wouldn't be quite so difficult! :rolleyes:

Note to self: Must remember drag line whenever we go over to the farm....

I can just see Finn runniing around the house with the spinning wheel madly spinning *backward*! :D

J.

Last night was Kailyn's first night at obedience school, she is now almost five months old.
Sounds to me like maybe she was just a little overwhelmed/overstimulated by all the exciting new things. :rolleyes: Is she normally food motivated at home? Sometimes a non-food motivated dog *can* become food motivated. June wasn't in the least bit food motivated when she came to me, but she is now. :D Before your next class work with her at home finding out what her motivations are. Ball? Tuggy? Squeaky toy? Sock? Praise?

You also may want to wear her out a little before you go.

AK Dog Doc, my dogs prefer fleecy type toys too! I've never seen anyone (in person) spinning wool. It seems like it would be so soothing.

Using the clicker you can enforce playing with a toy (like tugging). Training a toy motivated dog is different the a food motivated one so make sure that your training is going to help you with your rewards and when to give them. If not - switch trainers!

Or you could try to get your dog more food motivated. Just use the dogs kibble or any not-amazing treat. Use them as breakfast. Fill the dog's bowl but put it on the counter and give Kailyn the food pieces one by one. Each time get real happy and say "good dog!". With a little work Kailyn should start to think of food as a reward. Only once she is going for the regular dog food would I up the reward to an actual treat.