BC Boards

OT: Ticks (re: NC trip)

Boy and I both got a ton of ticks on us while we traveled to NC and back last year. I still wonder if that wasn't what made us both sick.

Anyway, again I'll be camping on the way there and back. What can I do to keep the ticks away from me and the dog(s)?

Most of the ticks were in Alabama on the mountain. I had one crawling on my food, one crawling on my tent wall, and at least a dozen on my body. Do you think it was just a particularly bad year? I really don't want to go through that again!

Ew. Ew. Ew. Zeeke would get a lot of ticks from the woods out back here, and it stopped as soon as we started using K9 Advantix. It's not good for cats though, so if your dogs are around cats it might nto be an option... but it sure kept the ticks away.

Don't know about keeping them off of you though. I'd be planning hazmat tent with an airtight spacesuit, but that's just me. Shudder.

We've had great success with Frontline Plus on Fergie. I've wondered aboout using it on us (just joking).

We have noticed that the ticks are less likely to get on us these days. I assume it has to do with Fergie. Of course, I seem to taste bad - all those critters are more likely to attack DH than me.

My daughter says that 3 garlic tablets a day keep mose ticks and other critters away. As she lives in Umstead State Park (married to a park ranger), she should know.