BC Boards

Unregister with AKC or not?

Hi -

I joined and have a question to ask.

I recently got a Border Collie pup that came with ABCA and AKC papers.

I was just wondering what you all would think if I wrote into AKC and ask them to unregistered her from their stud books because of the damage they are inflicting on the breed with supporting the conformation showing and breeding of the Border Collie?

Good or bad idea?

Any thoughts, good or bad, I want to hear them all! I am young (15) and new to the Border Collie world! So please don't leave me short of something I might wish I'd have heard and learned now instead years down the road!

Thanks!

Rachel

Welcome to the boards!

I think that your idea would be a nice statement to make. I have no idea if AKC can or will "deregister" on request, but your request would send them a message.

I am sure there are others who will be able to give you more meaningful input on your idea. I say, "Congratulations" to you for feeling the way you do!

Getting to the heart of the matter. Do you have a white registration paper on your puppy? Or do you have to fill it out with a name on it and send it in? If so you don't have to de-register the pup, it isn't registered. The litter is registered but the individual dog isn't. You could throw the paper away.

Its ok Mark, I am used to Charlie running to the gate with his tail over his back and then turning around and showing his teeth....BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH! Nice to hear from you CGT, been missing your acid wit! Why dont you come to our fun trial? We are going to have inner tubes and spiked lemoade..we might even run a dog or two if someone pushes the issue.

Well, you can call and send a letter to de register her. They might not really do it though, they might say yes ma'am no problem but homestly. With the dog in the registry, as far as they are concerned, it isn't hurting anything. And as long as you don't register pups or participate in any of their events, noone is the wiser.

I don't think that sending a nastygram will help you actually get the dog deregistered if you can find someone simpathetic by telling them, "Gee Mr. My dog can't be double registered, the breed registery will eventually kick her out (They will but only under certain circumstances and I wouldn't elaborate on them).

They don't give a flying fig if we over here stew in our juices over their "Concept" of business. They are a fairly large corporation type business and they register unbelieveable numbers of dogs every year- they don't particularly "need" your border collie, however, they need the breed and if enough people did this they probably would freak out.

Good luck,